The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Best $20 I ever spent brah.

Leo, at the bar of EMP, was describing how they made him pay like $50 because he meant to order 2 actual chocolate milk shakes (after his dinner at Alinea no less), but they wouldn't let him take it back after learning the total. And then the real shit happened.

It's okay, plenty of good stuff left for us to drink.
    damn right, but lack of Champs in Piotown has me bummin!

My fave...served it at our reception.

- B

NICE. I'm debating serving it at the reception, but it's all about the supply I can get at the time I need it. And bonuses this year. Will happily settle for Cristal or DP, these are much easier to obtain in quantity.

Nice! I got 138/152 on the prelim. 92% ftw.
    damn right son, prelim domination is what the wine thread is all about [​IMG]

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Leo, at the bar of EMP, was describing how they made him pay like $50 because he meant to order 2 actual chocolate milk shakes (after his dinner at Alinea no less), but they wouldn't let him take it back after learning the total. And then the real shit happened.
    It's pretty insane in there. If you're in Chicago, we'll stop in for a dog, because the food is actually great. Weiner Circle is best at 4 AM when you're drunk off your ass and willing to part with $20 to see an enormous black woman shake her titty for you.

4. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Congratulations Gomestar!

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG] thank you thank you. i think mean was in the 70s [​IMG] so i'm happy. also steve olson came and did wines for us last week on spain. i think so far i like sherry a lot more than port. port kinda tastes like fruit jerky. I think the two memorable wines wines were Vall Lach's Embruix (it's a priorat) and bodega oliveras' altos de la hoya (which was a monastrell aka mouvedre from jumilla) Both were very very very very very good. In particular the monastrell was seriously good and I'm thinking of buying a case. At 8.99 it's a serious bargain. Well balanced, complex, fruit forward (full of dark berry fruits), good structure, decent alcohol, soft tannins, good acidity. Really good. when I had the embruix I was like OMG. When I had the monastrell I was like OMG, slightly better than embruix. Then when he showed the price I was [​IMG] must cop. If you see the oliveras monastrell, try it. At 8.99 it's definitely worth your money and in two days it's burgundy and the rhone [​IMG] pretty excited

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Congrats Gomey!

I expect plenty of eyetal representation at the fete.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Parents broke out the Dom to celebrate Giants' win. I had tea and went to bed.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I expect plenty of eyetal representation at the fete.

It's way too early to tell (and who knows about logistics), but we think it'd be fun to pick the wine pairings for each course. Would like to get some good representation from the Finger Lakes, a little Burg, and the Eye-ties.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Parents broke out the Dom to celebrate Giants' win. I had tea and went to bed.

[​IMG]

10. Manton

[​IMG]

Well, they are 3,000 miles away.

11. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Has anyone here had Bond - St Eden variety - in the early 00s? I've happened upon a half case for a relative bargain and I'm wondering if they really are as good as people say they are.

I have had the St Eden, the Matriarch, and the Vecina (I think they were all 2002). All are well made wines particularly if you like big California wines. I was surprised at how big they were as I expected more balance, like a mini-Harlan. If you like big CA wines you will like these. I don't, and I didn't care for them.

12. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

You know what sucks about getting an allocation from one of your fav wineries?

Not being able to by a Gosh Darned Thing!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had a Rosenblum Viognier last night. Nice but not awesome.

Allocations should start arriving soon. Got an email that my Turley will be here Thursday. It's like Xmas for the next six weeks for me [​IMG]

14. Manton

Delicious $20 2005 Burg. [​IMG]

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member