The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

1996 Castalia Rochioli vineyard pinot noir = old.

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Also, even more exciting, is that in a weird and strange turn of events, in about a week, I will be promoted from service staff member to wine staff member. Meaning that I get to come in early every day and stay late every day to do wine stuff. And it means that I'll be the third and final person on the wine staff. Right now we have a wine director and a sommelier (both of whom are studying for their master's sommelier roles, waiting to be invited to sit for the test) and a guy who is leaving after this week. I'm training right now to assume his position when he leaves.

In short: Hell [​IMG] Yes.

Huge congrats!

3. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Could not pull the trigger on DuMol stuff this allocation season. Think they wanted >$60 for their Chards? No thanks.

It's very nice (I'm still reserving judgment on value) and we're following it with a 2007 Kistler Noisetiers RRV. A rare Cali night for us...

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Thanks for the congrats gentlemen!

I am falling in love with a pinot that we have by the glass. August West 2008 Graham Family Vineyard. Very small production (420 cases). It is really expressive of the Russian River Valley's terroir. Anyone who has been to RRV during grape-growing season knows what that means. Before noon, there is a thick blanket of fog that burns off in the afternoon and it can get rather warm, spiking up to over 90 on the hotter days. While a cooler climate may be more ideal for a pinot, this appelation is supremely interesting b/c it is a cool climate in the mornings and a warm climate in the afternoons. What that means is that instead of just having ripe red fruit flavors, you get ripe red fruits (cherry being the strongest) but then you also get deeper fruits and a mushroom/forest floor component. Finished with the distinct RRV menthol. Oak influence is present but not overpowering, just giving it enough spice and strength to round out the high acidity. Truly a great wine, and at around $28-35 a bottle, it's definitely something you should pick up if you ever see it. This one doesn't have the structure to sit for 10 years, but will be immensely enjoyable for the next 5 or so.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the last pinot I had from that vineyard tasted like cherries and twizzlers [​IMG]

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

the last pinot I had from that vineyard tasted like cherries and twizzlers [​IMG]

That's really strange. This one is quite complex. I've tasted 12 bottles or so over the last week, and they have all represented RRV well.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

complex, this was as well. Lots of other fruit flavors, good acidity and good finish too. By all accounts a very nice wine. But you have to love the California fruit. I'd rather buy actual twizzlers for $2.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

complex, this was as well. Lots of other fruit flavors, good acidity and good finish too. By all accounts a very nice wine. But you have to love the California fruit. I'd rather buy actual twizzlers for $2.

I am so going to bring some twizzlers in the spring.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ehh. Agree to disagree. It must come down to variations within producer/vintage/vinification.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I am so going to bring some twizzlers in the spring.

And I'll bring some ... barnyard?

Ehh. Agree to disagree. It must come down to variations within producer/vintage/vinification.

I'm not disagreeing with the assessment of your bottles at all (I believe they are fully valid), I'm just comparing it to the the wines I've tried from the same vineyard but a different producer (and likely different vintage).

11. Piobaire

Just pulled the trigger on the WTSO Crew Wines Mossback pinot.

12. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

[​IMG] Getting ready for the LSU Alabama game.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

^^^^^
    I'd put up with football if I could have some of that.

Last night was a really interesting Sancerre at Aldea, I'll look it up and poast deets later (on my way out the door right now)

14. Piobaire

Had an 06 Lynmar Chard last night. Nicely done and I plan to buy more from them in the new year.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Last night was a really interesting Sancerre at Aldea, I'll look it up and poast deets later (on my way out the door right now)
    the wine was Domaine Raimbault Sancerre 2008. Nice, would drink again. The food was fantastic all around. Had the octopus, fluke, foie, oysters (of all that I've eaten around NYC, these might be my favorite), risotto, and sampled a good number of the desserts. Highly recommended for the NYC peeps, and the prices are very favorable.