Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

the wine was Domaine Raimbault Sancerre 2008. Nice, would drink again.

The food was fantastic all around. Had the octopus, fluke, foie, oysters (of all that I've eaten around NYC, these might be my favorite), risotto, and sampled a good number of the desserts. Highly recommended for the NYC peeps, and the prices are very favorable.

Love that place.

2. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Nice approachable Chateauneuf du Pape: 2004 Domaine la Roquete from the Brunier brothers. Lots of alcohol on the nose to start and then opened up with kirsch, prunes, licorice. Good value at ~$25. Good accompaniment to homemade margherita pizza.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had an 06 Rancho Ontervios by AP Vin. Nice. Some barnyard, smoke, cherry. Was good stuff.

4. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Very nice beaujolais - 2006 Marcel Lapierre Morgon. Lots of fresh ripe cherries and plums.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Had a 2007 Pallieres Gigondas tonight. Big tannins on this one. Really too much for my palate. Has some nice fruit underneath I think, but it's really hard to tell. Also has a petroleum tinge to it as well. Wonder if more bottle time will help this? Probably will soften some of the tannins. Hard to understand the RP 94 rating on this one at this point.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Had a 2007 Pallieres Gigondas tonight. Big tannins on this one. Really too much for my palate. Has some nice fruit underneath I think, but it's really hard to tell. Also has a petroleum tinge to it as well. Wonder if more bottle time will help this? Probably will soften some of the tannins. Hard to understand the RP 94 rating on this one at this point.

did you decant at all?

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

did you decant at all?

Yes. About 2-3 hours.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Yes. About 2-3 hours.

then this sounds like a wine I might enjoy.

Lots of wine this weekend, yesterday was this served with cÃ[​IMG]leri rÃ[​IMG]moulade and NZ cockles with chorizo:
    [​IMG]
    I also drank a bottle of Vino Verde while making the food (and making chicken stock), but no pictures since it isn't worth recommending.

And then today was a little engagement part with a few close friends. Nothing fancy, but half a case of this:
    [​IMG]

followed by a handful of bottles that included these:
    [​IMG]

And then relaxing at home this evening with this:
    [​IMG]
    I love Sancerre, but this would have thrown me off in a blind test. Heavy honeydew melon but still the sharp acidity I expect from the Loire.

9. Piobaire

Nice stuff, Gomey and MfP.

I've just been told that I'm heading to a vintner's dinner featuring Booker Wines. Paso Robles, all Rhone style wines. Should be interesting.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Just got done with a dinner at Boka in Chicago.
    It's kind of a sister restaurant to the place I work at now. The staffs drink together and hang out and stuff, so we all get along well. My buddy who has worked for Keller & Cyrus is here in town, so I wanted to show him a good time. We went to Boka and ordered the 4 course tasting menu. Got completely fucking hooked up. 11 courses. 11 wines. Awesomeness. Incredible flavors, incredible progression, one of the best meals I've had in a long ass time.

Then, I went to the bathroom at one point, and when I came out, lo and behold, the sommelier at my restaurant (aka my boss) was sitting at the table directly next to ours. He had brought in two bottles--- '83 Rutherford Ranch Cab and a '90 Pichon-Longueville. As we were eating our desserts, he gave us a glass of the '83. Without even asking, the service staff and culinary team at Boka served us a cheese course to go with the cab. Man was it good. It is so awesome to go somewhere where the food is just incredible and the wine is good as well. I love life. [​IMG]

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Gome,

How did you like the Centine?

13. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

This is surprising as I don't typically think of Pallieres, or Gigondas in general, as being overly tannic.

14. Piobaire

Just got done with a dinner at Boka in Chicago.
    It's kind of a sister restaurant to the place I work at now. The staffs drink together and hang out and stuff, so we all get along well. My buddy who has worked for Keller & Cyrus is here in town, so I wanted to show him a good time. We went to Boka and ordered the 4 course tasting menu. Got completely fucking hooked up. 11 courses. 11 wines. Awesomeness. Incredible flavors, incredible progression, one of the best meals I've had in a long ass time.

Then, I went to the bathroom at one point, and when I came out, lo and behold, the sommelier at my restaurant (aka my boss) was sitting at the table directly next to ours. He had brought in two bottles--- '83 Rutherford Ranch Cab and a '90 Pichon-Longueville. As we were eating our desserts, he gave us a glass of the '83. Without even asking, the service staff and culinary team at Boka served us a cheese course to go with the cab. Man was it good. It is so awesome to go somewhere where the food is just incredible and the wine is good as well. I love life. [​IMG]

Great stuff, K-dub. When we make it to Chi-town, I'm expecting Big Timer treatment.

15. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Rhone was average and not much soul but the inexpensive Bordeaux was lovely and had great character. Love the Caymus. Such quality. The Cattier is my favourite cheapie Shampoo and the French Martinis were yummy.