• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lou
You have the body shape of an old man, and the fit of that outfit is not helping to dispel that image. You simply cannot hide the fact that your way out of shape. Your body is the foundation for your clothes, and your foundation is crap.
QFT. This is all there is to be said, really. Edit: Your nudie pics make it clear that the problem is with the shapelessness of your clothes. Your body looks fine.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
All kidding aside, if you want to learn how to be nearing middle age but still dress young and, as you put it, "hip," search for mafoofan's fits.

This advice that I have just given is free.

- B

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
All kidding aside, if you want to learn how to be nearing middle age but still dress young and, as you put it, "hip," search for mafoofan's fits.

This advice that I have just given is free.

- B

Vox, that advice is not free. Reevolving has paid for it by giving you a photo of himself with his shirt off
laugh.gif

No doubt you'll work it into a photo montage someday.

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
uh, what?

SPORT COATS ARE CORNY.

Do you not get it? Chances are if you are mad, you are a corn.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For serious, guys. That shrimp etouffee recipe I posted is flat-out delicious.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
For serious, guys. That shrimp etouffee recipe I posted is flat-out delicious.

What are you using for creole seasoning? Paprika? Cayenne?

Thx.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe

Thx.

If you want to make it yourself, the recipe is below. I'm lazy, so I just use Emeril's Essence, which is available at every grocery store, and essentially the same as this.

Creole seasoning

If you have different types of paprika, feel free to mix them together to make the 1½ tablespoons. I like to use Spanish smoked paprika, Hungarian sweet paprika, and Hungarian half-sharp paprika in equal measures.

This version of Creole seasoning is from Mr. B's Bistro in New Orleans.

1½ tablespoons paprika
¾ tablespoon ground black pepper
½ tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I am too old to show off any build I might have left at this age. Maybe when wearing an Asian/hipster Tshirt on a Sunday afternoon, but certainly not from under elegant office attire, or a blazer. The pants are not high rise. They are low/mid rise around my hips. 10 and 11 inches. Also, the shirts are not baggy (except the white CEGO shirt). They have been altered significantly, or are slim fit.

You're right, I am closer to 40 / 33, assuming I know how to use the tape. I measured as best I could with 1 hand.
Note the roll of fat up at my waist. I am measuring down at my hips, where my pants hang against the bone.
(This is me taking one for the SF team. Flame away!)
rszqkz.jpg

This is incredibly ****, but I am not going to say that to your face. LOL.

Time to buy some Tom Ford, because if this is really you, you need to wear clothes that are more fitted. After seeing this pic, you dress way too old.

Mike

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
FWIW, I don't think length of jacket is the main culprit.
I was mostly sitting that evening.

I actually spoke with her today, and we concluded these were the driving forces behind the "old man" comment (in order of impact)
  1. Dress slacks (vs. jeans, chinos, etc)
  2. Padded shoulders
  3. Not seeing/knowing men who dress beyond chinos/polos/buttondowns (except her grandfather)

Further, I sent her the BB sportcoat link. Note her reaction below!

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...wAll=t&sortBy=

Next, I'd like to she likes more fashion/trendy/hip/GQ sportcoat looks (or if ANY blazer at all looks gay/old to her)
Anyone have a link that would serve that purpose?

ZING!!!

As I said sport coats are corny as ****. You must understand, as I stated before, most people on this forum overcompensate with ridiculously expensive clothing, because, THEY ARE CORNBALLS. Most people are nerds on here, and really anyone who follows the advice given on MC is setting themselves up not to be james bond, but to be some guy who every girl thinks is a ***. Most are not manly men, and most aren't getting any type of hot girl. The man makes the clothes, remember that, carry yourself with a swag, and what you wear wont matter.

I love the fact that I called sport coats corny and the girl you asked said the guys in that picture look like ****, of course they do, they are wearing sport coats.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe

Thx.

Just use cayenne, black pepper, a little bit of salt and some garlic/onion powder. Do not season heavily as these dishes need to cook. I do most of my seasoning near the end. Don't forget that salty and spicy meats like Tasso, Andouille sausage and others add heat and salt to the dish. Also, a couple cans of Rotel tomatoes with diced Chilis is a nice addition to Cajun/Creole dishes.

The key to making any Cajun dish, in my experience, is to cook it all day. I can't stand "hurry up" Gumbos and the such, as they are thin and bland.

I cook Gumbo for no less than 6-8 hours. It is thick and complex.

Mike

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
ZING!!!

As I said sport coats are corny as ****. You must understand, as I stated before, most people on this forum overcompensate with ridiculously expensive clothing, because, THEY ARE CORNBALLS. Most people are nerds on here, and really anyone who follows the advice given on MC is setting themselves up not to be james bond, but to be some guy who every girl thinks is a ***. Most are not manly men, and most aren't getting any type of hot girl. The man makes the clothes, remember that, carry yourself with a swag, and what you wear wont matter.

I love the fact that I called sport coats corny and the girl you asked said the guys in that picture look like ****, of course they do, they are wearing sport coats.

Where in the upper penninsula you from, broheims?

detroiter

Reaction score
I live in DETROIT, not the UP. On Woodward right now.I assume you were trying to make some dumb comment, but I don't get it. Work in Detroit live in Detroit, not oakland, not mccomb, good ol detroit, where we dont rock sport coats.

detroiter

Reaction score
None of those people live in Detroit, nor have they ever lived in detroit. They all from past 8 mile, though i dont know who the last people are.

He is from Detroit.

cover1-2_28.jpg

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
None of those people live in Detroit, nor have they ever lived in detroit. They all from past 8 mile, though i dont know who the last people are.

He is from Detroit.

cover1-2_28.jpg

I saw a, pretty sick, movie called 8, mile a couple years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads