• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amateur fights

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
but you can mix it up like i stated above etc etc. the body is so under used in amateur boxing and is so amazing because so many amateur boxers neglect it.

hey, I can't reach the head, I focus on the body. thanks,

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
globe, I didn't read the whole thread but it looks like you're talking about amateur boxing and I don't know if they're very strict about the rules where you are, but in amateur boxing it's against the rules to try and hurt the other guy. It's actually against the rules to try and knock the other guy out. You're supposed to be trying to score points by landing shots and each shot is a point whether you hit him hard or hit him soft. You can actually be disqualified if the ref senses you're going for a knockout.

Just mentioning this because it sounds like the other is a much better boxer than you are and you're counting on your strength, but in the amateurs you're superior strength doesn't count for anything.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
globe, I didn't read the whole thread but it looks like you're talking about amateur boxing and I don't know if they're very strict about the rules where you are, but in amateur boxing it's against the rules to try and hurt the other guy. It's actually against the rules to try and knock the other guy out. You're supposed to be trying to score points by landing shots and each shot is a point whether you hit him hard or hit him soft. You can actually be disqualified if the ref senses you're going for a knockout.

Just mentioning this because it sounds like the other is a much better boxer than you are and you're counting on your strength, but in the amateurs you're superior strength doesn't count for anything.

that's a good point - I actually knew that, but wasn't thinking about it enough. thanks. hmmm..... that is a good point.

actually, what I was thinking was that I could put enough pressure on him by hitting his body and even his arms, so that he started to lose some of his advantage. on top of that I was thinking that I could probrably knock him over (not knock him out, but in about half the times I spar I have knocked people over, simply put enough pressure on a person that he trips).

basically, cause that's all I have - once we clinch they will seperate us, so I can't get points by cornering him and hitting his body.

but that's a good point. thanks

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
thanks - here's the thing, I figure that most people I spar with, and the guy I will be fighting, are a lot taller than me. I am also left handed. so if I can throw him off by being a foot lower than he expects and left handed, it can only be good for me. I've been doing a good deal of sparing, both with guys from the gym and some old pros - there are 3 or 4 old retired pro boxers around the gym, and one young starting boxer that are always looking for sparing partners, so I have been doing a good deal of sparing with them. I've been jogging 6 miles, more or less once a week, and then a mile a few times a week. I have just started sprinting. that is something that I really want to be working on over the next few months. I think that I have a great advantage in strength, and I am pretty willing to take a punch or two. so that is sort of how it balances out.
Wow- I'm a south paw too. That changes the game completely. The fight is all about your right foot as a lefty. Keep it outside of his left foot at all times! He'll have to go across for his straight, and you'll have a direct shot at his body. Keep your right hand up at all time to null his jab and protect you from his left hook (it's his main weapon against a left handed fighter if you stay away from his straight right). Learn to lead with a straight left. Your jab is gonna be checked unless he's dropping his hands a lot, and it'll leave you open to his hook. If he's big on jabbing (he should be), get used to slipping right and coming over the top of his jab with your left straight. Winning this fight comes down the right foot and you leading left. Keep up the sparring as there's nothing to prepare you for the ring like being in the ring. As far as running goes, I have better luck with sprints for actual conditioning, but you'd probably be better off asking Why or Kunk.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been in two boxing matches at my gym (1-1 record), and have recently started capoeira. The latter is really more of a staged sparring match, or even a dance, than an actual fight. But it's an awesome workout.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Wow- I'm a south paw too. That changes the game completely. The fight is all about your right foot as a lefty. Keep it outside of his left foot at all times! He'll have to go across for his straight, and you'll have a direct shot at his body. Keep your right hand up at all time to null his jab and protect you from his left hook (it's his main weapon against a left handed fighter if you stay away from his straight right).

Learn to lead with a straight left. Your jab is gonna be checked unless he's dropping his hands a lot, and it'll leave you open to his hook. If he's big on jabbing (he should be), get used to slipping right and coming over the top of his jab with your left straight.

Winning this fight comes down the right foot and you leading left.

this is some good advice, thanks.

I've found that what ever I do, and frankly it moves pretty fast and I ahve trouble figuring out exactly how I do it - when I do well it usually involves having them trip on their own feet when I hit them hard to the body, throwing them totally off balance and giving me the momentum. but this explaination works. I have to look into it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know about the whole crouching thing. do you mean ducking? i dont think youre going to use it that much. i would really concentrate on getting your cardio up. spar a lot, not right before the fight but leading into it. lots of rounds with guys who know how to spar not guys trying to kill you. im guessing your fight will be 3 2 minute rounds. running 3 miles should be good. also jogging for a minute and a half, and the sprinting for 30 seconds. do this 3 times. in the end theres really no secret on how do get into good shape. just work hard. its only 3, 2 minute rounds. its not a long time but youre going to get tired as ****. just get into shape. id bet if in your first few fights if all you had was amazing cardio and very basic knowledge of boxing, and werent afraid to take a few hits in the beggining youd probably win almost all of them. especially getting into the heavier weights. most heavy weights are at probably 50% after the first round, and most will die in the 3rd.

I think that he just means fighting low. This actually comes into play in MMA a lot more than straight up boxing, because the difference between the size and shapes of opponents is often much more exaggerated, since the weight categories are a full 15 lbs apart.

Originally Posted by HgaleK
Wow- I'm a south paw too. That changes the game completely. The fight is all about your right foot as a lefty. Keep it outside of his left foot at all times! He'll have to go across for his straight, and you'll have a direct shot at his body. Keep your right hand up at all time to null his jab and protect you from his left hook (it's his main weapon against a left handed fighter if you stay away from his straight right).

Learn to lead with a straight left. Your jab is gonna be checked unless he's dropping his hands a lot, and it'll leave you open to his hook. If he's big on jabbing (he should be), get used to slipping right and coming over the top of his jab with your left straight.

Winning this fight comes down the right foot and you leading left.

Keep up the sparring as there's nothing to prepare you for the ring like being in the ring.

As far as running goes, I have better luck with sprints for actual conditioning, but you'd probably be better off asking Why or Kunk.

this is some good advice, thanks.

I've found that what ever I do, and frankly it moves pretty fast and I ahve trouble figuring out exactly how I do it - when I do well it usually involves having them trip on their own feet when I hit them hard to the body, throwing them totally off balance and giving me the momentum. but this explaination works. I have to look into it.

I'm guessing that what happens is that they are not used to the decreased mobility in their lead foot, and also, if your footwork is good, they find it hard to circle away from your power. Like you said, they essentially trip themselves up by letting their feet line up.

It's interesting. I am right handed, and left-footed, so everytime I spared in kickboxing/MMA with a southpaw, I would switch to southpaw, and punish them with outside leg kicks and liver kicks, and if they moved in, with a knee to the ribs.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is completel bs. i dont know where you watch your boxing. yes it goes by points, but there is nothing wrong with trying to knock your opponent out. this is horrible advice and will get someone knocked out.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is completel bs. i dont know where you watch your boxing. yes it goes by points, but there is nothing wrong with trying to knock your opponent out. this is horrible advice and will get someone knocked out.

ok, I have to talk to my coach about this to clarify.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, I have to talk to my coach about this to clarify.

it really matters, is this a show the gym is putting on between fighters, or a real amateur fight? either way do not go in thinking you opponent is holding back. in the end it is about points but almost everyone loves going for a knock out. especially in the heavier weights.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it really matters, is this a show the gym is putting on between fighters, or a real amateur fight? either way do not go in thinking you opponent is holding back. in the end it is about points but almost everyone loves going for a knock out. especially in the heavier weights.

this should be a real amateur fight, which is really why I brought up the wole subject - I know what sparing is like, I am assuming that an amateur fight is a hell of a lot harder. my gym isn't really "white collar", that is one of the reasons that I have been asked to fight, I am one of the only "white collar" guys, a lot of the "amateurs" are blue collar young guys who are thinking that they might have a chance one day of fighting pro.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Either you don't know the rules of amateur boxing or you misunderstood my post. It is not against the rules to knock the other guy out or to hurt him, but it can't be your only strategy. You're supposed to be trying to hit him with the white part of your glove more than he hits you with the white part of his glove. If you're only strategy is to go for the knockout punch you can and will be disqualified. It happens all the time. If I recall correctly it happened to Tyson in the Olympic trials (but don't quote me on that.)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Either you don't know the rules of amateur boxing or you misunderstood my post. It is not against the rules to knock the other guy out or to hurt him, but it can't be your only strategy. You're supposed to be trying to hit him with the white part of your glove more than he hits you with the white part of his glove. If you're only strategy is to go for the knockout punch you can and will be disqualified. It happens all the time. If I recall correctly it happened to Tyson in the Olympic trials (but don't quote me on that.)

ok, clear.

no, I'm not trying to knock anybody out, mostly - my "strategy" althought that is a little grandious word for me at this point, is to hit my opponent hard in the arms and body, to creat pain and to try to knock him off balance, and to try to get him to trip on his own feet. if I can get him off balance and take over the momentum, to then score points by landing blows to the body, and possibly head.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes you win by points, but there is nothing stopping you from trying to knock the guy out. the only time you will get in trouble is for incorrect punching. i.e. slapping etc. how can the ref stop a guy from hitting his hardest? trust me this is not a rule. youre allowed to go for the knock out. its the refs job in amateur to keep the fighters safe and stop it before the fighter gets knocked out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads