amateur fights

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by globetrotter, Sep 13, 2010.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You know, I don't remember being particularly hurt....while I was in the ring, I basically could not feel anything. The days following, I remember being pretty sore, but certainly no serious damage was sustained.

I have a better record than Matt (3-1, not boxing, but MMA), which says nothing, but yeah, pretty much the same experience, except that I got KO'd (in the 1), and that sort of had me sitting in a heap for a while. I also vomited in the change room afterward, but the doctor gave me a cleap bill of health.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I don't know - I was assuming 3 on 3, which is what we spar, but I have to check, one minute rounds would work to my advantage.

I'm 43, I'll be 44 when the fight time comes. the guy that I might be matched against is a little older, and about the same weight, but about 8 inches taller, with substantially better reach. he retiered young, and trains every day, and has been boxing for 7 or 8 years regularly. so I have strength on him, he has reach and skill and wind. I can build up my skills and my wind over the next few months, but we'll see if enough.

3. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I got KO'd once as well, but even then, I don't really remember it being particularly painful per se...like...I have crashed a mountain bike...that was painful, I broke a wrist playing Aussie football...that was painful, I broke my thumb boxing...painful.

Getting KO'd didn't really, like...hurt...I mean, I was hit hard, no doubt, and I wouldn't go so far as to call the experience pleasant, but basically I just lost my balance, felt kinda feint, and took longer than ten seconds to get back up again.

I was a bit sore and bruised the next day, but it wasn't anywhere near the pain scale of any of a bunch of other things I have put myself through.

4. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Why did you get asked to fight? Is it a charity event?

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

spend long enough in a fighting gym, sooner or later someone taps you on the shoulder and says 'interested?'

6. globetrotter

I have a better record than Matt (3-1, not boxing, but MMA), which says nothing, but yeah, pretty much the same experience, except that I got KO'd (in the 1), and that sort of had me sitting in a heap for a while. I also vomited in the change room afterward, but the doctor gave me a cleap bill of health.

that doesn't scare me as much as loosing a tooth - my coach once wacked me in the stomach in sparing and got me vomiting for about 3 days (only when I ate, though).

thanks

7. globetrotter

Getting KO'd didn't really, like...hurt...I mean, I was hit hard, no doubt, and I wouldn't go so far as to call the experience pleasant, but basically I just lost my balance, felt kinda feint, and took longer than ten seconds to get back up again. .
    yeah, I've been knocked out a couple of times, and that wasn't a biggie.

8. globetrotter

spend long enough in a fighting gym, sooner or later someone taps you on the shoulder and says 'interested?'

yeah, also, I'm white with just a single tatoo and gray hair, they are looking for the "white collar" in white collar boxing

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

mouthguard and headgear...highly unlikely. fwiw - I've lost a bunch of teeth. Bike accident when I was 12. That hurt too. [​IMG]

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

Get one of those fancy custom fitted mouthguards, not a $1 bargain special, and I'd say your chances of losing teeth would be at a minimum. It'll also help prevent you from getting KO'd.

11. globetrotter

mouthguard and headgear...highly unlikely.

fwiw - I've lost a bunch of teeth. Bike accident when I was 12. That hurt too. [​IMG]

yeah, I was really calm about this until my wife chimed in, and I wanted to get some other opinions on it - cause their are a lot of guys in my gym without teeth, and it wouldn't kill me to loose a tooth, but I know that the process can take 1-2 months to replace a tooth with an implant, and they are about 5 K a piece, so I don't want to be on the job for 2 months with a gap in my smile.

anyway, thanks all for the input.

12. Matt

Matt [email protected]

do it. Your mother in law will hate you for it. do it.

13. globetrotter

yeah, I think that I will. also, it gives me a specific goal to train for, like doing a marathon. I can set myself some specific goals and work in that direction.

14. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

[​IMG] Anyways... good luck with the fight.

15. globetrotter

I think my MIL would like the idea of somebody getting a chance to beat the crap out of me.