• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are college athletics good or bad?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Seriously. I'm sure U of Michigan would LOVE to have an enrollment full of people like ComboOrgan.

Actually, U of Mich is a great example of a public university that has a serious football program and serious academics. I know graduates from their law and medical schools (both consistently ranked as the cream of the crop) who, in their 40s, continue to wear "Go Blue" type stuff.

Duraak

Reaction score
I'm a 4th year undergrad at UMich. We recently built a $228 million stadium renovation that already paid for itself. Our football program always makes money. My tuition goes up every year anyway.

I love Michigan football. My saturdays in the fall live and die by football. But on sunday, I do homework, get good grades, apply to graduate school, etc. But come on. College is about more than academics. Don't be such a nerd.

And do you really think people applying to top schools don't know Michigan's academic reputation? I got into better ranked schools than UM, but chose Michigan because of the tradition, the football, the hockey, the town. Things besides academics matter to prospective students too. There's a reason I didn't go to Dartmouth.

Go Blue.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people have this dichotomy that a life outside academics only implies sports, or a life outside sports only involves academics? That's the general sense I'm getting in some of these posts.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's too many posts to respond to and i'm on my macbook at a cigar lounge so i'm just going to make a few statements that should address most of the issues raised here.

1.) most institutions lose money on athletic programs. this is a fact. i can go find the proof when i get home, but the guy on the front page posted a good few links, too. the confusing part about it is that these institutions do not report things correctly, and they fudge the numbers to make it look as though they do profit from it. they don't. very few places profit from it.

2.) piobaire, no, LSU doesn't make money. i'm not one of the lazy/uneducated college students of which you speak. where do i get my information? why, none other than the president of the LSU system. the president.

they, like every other institution, fudge the numbers.

but these institutions lose money.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
It doesn't ******* matter if you think people aren't worthy of yourself just because they like football while you'd rather disassemble Apple IIe's or not ********. What matters is that sports are the most visible means for public awareness of your school and the benefits they provide the school has an enormous impact on the school's size, educational quality, applicant pool, capital fundraising, etc.

see the only flaw with that problem is that the athletics actually don't help improve educational quality. they hurt it. so that's where we're differing in opinion.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
there's too many posts to respond to and i'm on my macbook at a cigar lounge so i'm just going to make a few statements that should address most of the issues raised here. 1.) most institutions lose money on athletic programs. this is a fact. i can go find the proof when i get home, but the guy on the front page posted a good few links, too. the confusing part about it is that these institutions do not report things correctly, and they fudge the numbers to make it look as though they do profit from it. they don't. very few places profit from it. 2.) piobaire, no, LSU doesn't make money. i'm not one of the lazy/uneducated college students of which you speak. where do i get my information? why, none other than the president of the LSU system. the president. they, like every other institution, fudge the numbers. but these institutions lose money.
Ah, so all data we present is bogus? Okay, carry on. No use talking about it further. Btw, glad to hear you're not a lazy college student. I'm sure studying at the cigar bar is optimal.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see the only flaw with that problem is that the athletics actually don't help improve educational quality. they hurt it. so that's where we're differing in opinion.

So you don't think a lot of the top students in Texas choose UT Austin because of the football/atheltic program? I guarantee you it's because of the football program that UT Austin is able to attract so many of the top students in Texas.

How do I know this? Many of my friends in high school were in the top 5% and chose UT Austin because of this.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
So you don't think a lot of the top students in Texas choose UT Austin because of the football/atheltic program? I guarantee you it's because of the football program that UT Austin is able to attract so many of the top students in Texas.

How do I know this? Many of my friends in high school were in the top 5% and chose UT Austin because of this.

You data is not good. Only the kid has solid data.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's too many posts to respond to and i'm on my macbook at a cigar lounge so i'm just going to make a few statements that should address most of the issues raised here.

1.) most institutions lose money on athletic programs. this is a fact. i can go find the proof when i get home, but the guy on the front page posted a good few links, too. the confusing part about it is that these institutions do not report things correctly, and they fudge the numbers to make it look as though they do profit from it. they don't. very few places profit from it.

2.) piobaire, no, LSU doesn't make money. i'm not one of the lazy/uneducated college students of which you speak. where do i get my information? why, none other than the president of the LSU system. the president.
they, like every other institution, fudge the numbers.

but these institutions lose money.

How do you know the president isn't fudging the numbers then? If you can't trust audited data, (I'm assuming the athletic department gets audited along with the rest of the school) then how can you trust the university president.

Duraak

Reaction score

I'm confused here. How do athletics hurt educational quality? Plenty of Michigan students live their lives as though football doesn't exist and still get a great education. How are they damaged because football exists?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Actually, U of Mich is a great example of a public university that has a serious football program and serious academics. I know graduates from their law and medical schools (both consistently ranked as the cream of the crop) who, in their 40s, continue to wear "Go Blue" type stuff.

Yes, I know that - those alumni which you are referring to are not what I am talking about.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duraak
I'm confused here. How do athletics hurt educational quality? Plenty of Michigan students live their lives as though football doesn't exist and still get a great education. How are they damaged because football exists?

those students would have better teachers, libraries, equipment etc. if the athletics didn't exist.

also piobaire i'm not saying i'm the only one who knows whats up. but it is common knowledge that ALL institutions adjust their books to show that they're profiting from the football programs etc.

they're not. when i get home i'll find you interviews and articles about it. it's been going on for a long time.

also piobaire you silly bear stop trying to hurt my feelings. you're still my favorite poster!

i'm not studying the cigar bar -- i'm watching brett favreeeee.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
How do you know the president isn't fudging the numbers then? If you can't trust audited data, (I'm assuming the athletic department gets audited along with the rest of the school) then how can you trust the university president.

Auditors are in on it. You know CPAs; they're all for sale.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
the more sarcastic you are piobaire the harder i get

laugh.gif

Your threads tend to crack me up. If you had ever led an organization that receives an audit, and how seriously auditors take themselves, the eff'ing FASBs, etc., you'd know how funny the concept of "fudged" numbers are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics