• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook is for narcissists and self-loathers

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I always suspected. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...ow/6523688.cms
'Facebook users have low self-esteem' TORONTO: Facebook is used mostly by narcissists and those with low self-esteem, says a Canadian study. These type of people use Facebook as a self-promotional tool, says psychology researcher Soraya Mehdizadeh of York University. Mehdizadeh, who extensively examined the online habits and personalities of 100 Facebook users aged 18 to 25 years old, found that individuals higher in narcissism and lower in self-esteem spent more time on the site and filled their pages with more self-promotional content. [...] Read more: 'Facebook users have low self-esteem' - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...#ixzz0z8zC5bce

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Wow. 100 people. What an enormous sample of facebook users from which to draw conclusions.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't most people within the age 18 to 25 narcissists and self-loathers?

aguydude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Wow. 100 people. What an enormous sample of facebook users from which to draw conclusions.

I haven't read the article, but if random sampling was used, 100 people is more than enough to draw conclusions.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God I love headlines. This should read: "Limited study shows Facebook usage inversely correlated with self-esteem among certain age bracket."

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
^^ SF.

fistbump.gif

Gorthaur Melwasul

Reaction score
I admit that it's true. Most of the Facebook pages i read are.....about me.
Photos, status comments. Basically Facebook as created for this.
Don't tell me about networking or friendship. This kind of stuff are done in Real Life.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
I don't disagree with this.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
found that individuals higher in narcissism and lower in self-esteem spent more time on the site and filled their pages with more self-promotional content
so they're saying people who self promote on facebook tend to be more narcissistic? narcissists are narcissistic?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone is on facebook.

The only (extremely obvious) point here is that the more of a friend whore you are, the more updates you post, and the more you interact on the site = the greater a chance there is that you have low self-esteem.

This goes double for twitter.

Did you really need some academic asshole to make you realize this? lol.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Everyone is on facebook.

The only (extremely obvious) point here is that the more of a friend whore you are, the more updates you post, and the more you interact on the site = the greater a chance there is that you have low self-esteem.

This goes double for twitter.

Did you really need some academic asshole to make you realize this? lol.

Hmmm, does this mean that by de-friending a few select people, my self-esteem has a chance of going up? HMMMMMM.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Can't say that I'm surprised.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads