• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benefits of Green Tea

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
New age? Haven't people been drinking tea long before coffee? I think I heard that somewhere...

Yeah, dude. Like in China 5000 years ago...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Yeah, dude. Like in China 5000 years ago...

What a shame then. Chinese and Japanese teas can't hold a candle to Indian.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For those of you really into loose leaf teas: what method do you use to brew them?

Is this anything like coffee, the ideal preparation of which involves a bunch of expensive devices and OCD-like ministrations?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
For those of you really into loose leaf teas: what method do you use to brew them? Is this anything like coffee, the ideal preparation of which involves a bunch of expensive devices and OCD-like ministrations?
Ehhh no it's really simple. Get a gaiwan or teapot with a large infuser basket (large enough to let the leaves unfurl fully - I recommend Chatsford). uptontea.com has Chatsford teapots cheap. If you are the only one drinking, and like Chinese green or oolongs that can be re-infused several times, a single serving gaiwan is a great idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiwan edit: Of course, if you want to get all OCD about it, visit adagio.com and have a look at their badass, but completely unnecessary teaware. edit2: If you have a Chinatown in your area, go there for a gaiwan before buying online. They are WAY cheaper in stores than online.

capa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
For those of you really into loose leaf teas: what method do you use to brew them?

Is this anything like coffee, the ideal preparation of which involves a bunch of expensive devices and OCD-like ministrations?

I definitely recommend the Teavana tea infuser. It's super simple, cheap (although more than something like the metal "ball" infusers), and works great.

http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/...t-TeaMaker.axd

They actually just updated the design, the old one was like $17 but this one is the exact same, if not better.

jillyronald

Reaction score
I drink green tea everyday, and It feel like a champion. It makes good health and it will more better if you drink every winter morning. It is very good for diet and helps to loose weight, I get its free shipping for one month package from my homes nearest shop.

marketing2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
Green tea is high in polyphenol antioxidants - specifically catechins. The long term benefits of catechins are still being debated and studied. Polyphenols in general have anti-inflammatory properties which consequently may help to prevent heart disease. They also may be helpful in lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. The appetite suppression is also pretty obvious. You can figure that in addition to your perfect diet
teacha.gif
that drinking a couple of glasses of green tea a day can aid in heart health and overall well-being.

To date, the only negative side effect reported from drinking green tea is insomnia due to the fact that it contains caffeine. However, green tea contains less caffeine than coffee: there are approximately thirty to sixty mg. of caffeine in six - eight ounces of tea, compared to over one-hundred mg. in eight ounces of coffee.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Wow. I've been really disappointed with Adagio's teas though.

I've heard that from several. Their teas looks overpriced and the blends seem rather blah. The teaware on the site looks great though, even though I have never bought any. Really all you need is a teapot.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sushi place i go to offers it for free, the guy one time was like "drink this its good for your health"

but yeah its a great beverage, much better than coffee IMO. if you live in Toronto check out David's Tea, they have some crazy flavours.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently drinking..
jungle_green.jpg
http://www.larsenandthompson.com.au/jungle_green.html and
T-EG100GT-l-2.jpg
http://www.henrylangdon.com/ProductD...p?ProductID=27 (this one is fantastic, if you like pungent aeromatic teas I highly recommend it) One thing to remember with green tea, do not pour the boiling water directly on the leaves as green tea leaves are quite delicate and will burn (this is where the bitter taste comes from), instead pour the water in first and make sure it is a bit colder (you can put either 1/5 parts cold water to 4/5 boiling, or take the kettle off when it starts rumbling before it whistles - if you have a stovetop kettle) before you put the tea leaves in. Also be sure to keep let it infuse for a good 4-5 minutes as green tea leaves take a little while to open up (this is why some people say green tea is tasteless, they take the leaves out instantly). Black teas are easy to remember because they are exactly the opposite, that is - pour the boiling water directly on the tea leaves and then take it out no more than 3 minutes after you put it in, and I even recommend a bit less (depending on the tea though). The reason being is that if you leave the tea leaves in too long you will get a bitter taste from the leaves, where taking them out after 3 minutes or less still maintains all the flavour but without the bitter taste.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, oversteeping tea is a sin. Leaving your teabag (or leaves) in there more than 3 minutes is just going to make it more tannic and churn your stomach. All the caffeine is released from the leaves within 20 seconds of infusing anyway, so you're not really getting anything more from steeping longer, other than a bitter cup and possible bellyache. This is my everyday tea. Orthodox process TGFOP Darjeeling blend. Yum.
TD20-@DFL-dry+leaf+image.gif
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/ite...&categoryID=16

princedlight

Reaction score
The benefits of green tea contains many healing and prevention of diseases that respond to such as cancer, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, infections, impaired immune function, and cardiovascular disease. The benefits of green tea can also cause problems with high cholesterol and improve cholesterol levels in the body.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I drink a powdered tea from Gifu Prefecture. I have to special order it from Mitsukoshi, but I got hooked on it a few years ago and haven't found one I like better.
G9shn.jpg
B7zZU.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads