• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasfan
I talked to a few Japanese over the weekend and they said that in Japan Uniqlo is considered a brand for the 40+ crowd.
Are Japanese just less conservative dressers than us in the States?

Before being rebranded Uniqlo was a known for having ubiquitous, kinda boring basics that only the 40+ crowd wore.

Good NY Magazine article on them here - http://nymag.com/fashion/features/65898/

jamays00

Reaction score
how do their oxfords fit?

i'm looking for some pretty slim (slims body, and arms) and cheap oxfords that are short enough to wear untucketed and still look good. i usually wear a medium, i'm a size 38 jacket. 6'0 about 160. should i go with a medium?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, so basically Uniqlo US is just relabeled a size smaller than Uniqlo Japan, the cut is the same? I find it very hard to understand how anyone in the US is able to wear their flannel shirts or anything for that matter considering how short the sleeves are! Especially for you 6'+ tall skinny guys, are you just rolling up the sleeves?? Seems like you need to be short or have stubby arms to fit their items.

jamays00: Take a look at Uniqlo.jp for measurements. And pay attention to the sleeve length, I highly doubt they'll be long enough for you since you will need a smaller size and you're tall. I was looking at one of the plaid flannels in size L, and the sleeves are 33.7" from center back, or 24.4" from shoulder seam to end of sleeve. The M is even shorter.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
All of Uniqlo's packaged/folded shirts are very long and can't really be worn untucked.

If the US store lays out merchandise like their Asian stores, the folded/packaged shirts are dress shirts (Fine Cloth Shirt / Slim Stretch Shirt / etc) and are not meant to be worn untucked.

null0x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Damn, so basically Uniqlo US is just relabeled a size smaller than Uniqlo Japan, the cut is the same? I find it very hard to understand how anyone in the US is able to wear their flannel shirts or anything for that matter considering how short the sleeves are! Especially for you 6'+ tall skinny guys, are you just rolling up the sleeves?? Seems like you need to be short or have stubby arms to fit their items.

jamays00: Take a look at Uniqlo.jp for measurements. And pay attention to the sleeve length, I highly doubt they'll be long enough for you since you will need a smaller size and you're tall. I was looking at one of the plaid flannels in size L, and the sleeves are 33.7" from center back, or 24.4" from shoulder seam to end of sleeve. The M is even shorter.

In my experience, besides being marked a size smaller, Uniqlo long sleeve shirts sold in the Western market will usually have sleeves that are an inch (or so) longer than those sold in Asia.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
If the US store lays out merchandise like their Asian stores, the folded/packaged shirts are dress shirts (Fine Cloth Shirt / Slim Stretch Shirt / etc) and are not meant to be worn untucked.

Yea, I was answering the question about Uniqlo oxfords. Sadly, I rarely see oxfords that are meant to be untucked in Uniqlo. They had this denim shirt though that was pretty nice that's meant to be worn untucked.

jamays00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
Yea, I was answering the question about Uniqlo oxfords. Sadly, I rarely see oxfords that are meant to be untucked in Uniqlo. They had this denim shirt though that was pretty nice that's meant to be worn untucked.

ahhh i'm having a real hard time finding slim oxfords that look right untucked on the cheap

ma1

Reaction score
i wear small uniqlo oxfords all the time untucked and im 5'8, I don't know what jack is talking about. Hem hits right in the middle of my fly where it should.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kopped some vintage chino's and heaps of white crewnecks / v necks via my awesome proxy.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by null0x
In my experience, besides being marked a size smaller, Uniqlo long sleeve shirts sold in the Western market will usually have sleeves that are an inch (or so) longer than those sold in Asia.
Is this true? Would make sense, since so many people rave about Uniqlo and having too short sleeves would work against that. So if I find something I like from the Uniqlo.jp website in size L, I would order a size M from Uniqlo NYC and it should fit the same, but with longer sleeves? Is that the only difference in the cut? EDIT: Can someone proxy for me? Located in Vancouver.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
i wear small uniqlo oxfords all the time untucked and im 5'8, I don't know what jack is talking about. Hem hits right in the middle of my fly where it should.

Hmm, last time I tried on S uniqlo oxfords, the hem is past my crotch.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish they still made heattech gear.
frown.gif
I should have bought some last season.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
I wish they still made heattech gear.
frown.gif
I should have bought some last season.

It will be back in a month, just wait.
I dont buy anything from Uniqlo anymore, it all fits like ass and is too short (aside from the jeans, but I have no reason to buy them). I picked up some under shirts and to get something that fit (even if its a little loose in the chest) the shortness of it made it look like a belly shirt. I shrug my shoulders and the damn thing rises above my belly button. I believe the J+ stuff fits longer, but I havent bothered trying any of it.

Their low rise boxer briefs are nice though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads