• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about double breast patch to hold the iPhone and square? And maybe a fanny patch for bicycling with the iPad.

sarcasm.gif

jk. Nice goods Trini. Those will make great suits. Flaps for sure.

wetnose

Reaction score
There's a seller on ebay selling Holland and Sherry Escorial fabric (navy microstripe) for GBP 60 a yard. I looked it up on Holland and Sherry's website but was hoping for personal observations. Of course I need another suit like a hole in the head but hey this is styleforum. Anyone?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
My two only pieces - both sourced from the Quality Seller so I can't ask for a better cosign than that:

4470475064_9d576e9b5d_b.jpg

4470478360_2551cc88e6_b.jpg

Originally Posted by Manton
These are seriously not patch cloths.

Whats wrong with having patch pockets on this cloth leaving aside other factors such as whether it will be suitable for 'conservative business dress' wear etc.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Whats wrong with having patch pockets on this cloth leaving aside other factors such as whether it will be suitable for 'conservative business dress' wear etc.
Patch pockets are a 'casualising' feature, they have no place on a city worsted.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Patch pockets are a 'casualising' feature, they have know place on a city worsted.

Agree with George...

That's a good example of a summer cream db jacket with patch pockets...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there is no thing as a casual worsted suit ? Worsted is only suitable for 'business' or 'conservative business dress' suits as such patch pockets are unsuitable on worsted, right ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So there is no thing as a casual worsted suit ? Worsted is only suitable for 'business' or 'conservative business dress' suits as such patch pockets are unsuitable on worsted, right ?

Worsted with a looser weave and/or surface texture can take patch well. Fresco or hopsack are good examples. The ones posted here are clearcut, smooth finished worsteds meant for city business suits. Patch pockets would be out of place.

From photos and movies, you can see that there was a period in the '40s when patch was common on gabardine and the like but that was a fad. I think it looks bad. The fad passed.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, worsted is the name of the yarn used to make the cloth. You have Worsted and Wollen yarns. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worsted When I say a city worsted I'm referring to a cloth that has a pattern, colour finish etc. that you would associate with a business suit not a casual suit i.e the cloth has a formal look to it. Now, that cloth you posted looks like a city cloth, that is, something you would have made up into a sober business suit. This is at odds with the casual nature of patch pockets to my mind. Patch pockets look best on casual fabrics like tweed, linen, some flannels(not striped, as this is city pattern) colourful jacketings etc. You need to understand that cloths operate on a formality scale and this in some ways 'dictates' what features you can add to the suit/jacket etc. Someone can probably summarise better than I can.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My Tip-Top haul from a recent trip:

Carlo Barbera:

004-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

Some shirtings:

002-5.jpg

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
that double stripe shirting is nice.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
And maybe a fanny patch for bicycling with the iPad.
I wonder what your English tailor will say about that one?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
There's a seller on ebay selling Holland and Sherry Escorial fabric (navy microstripe) for GBP 60 a yard. I looked it up on Holland and Sherry's website but was hoping for personal observations. Of course I need another suit like a hole in the head but hey this is styleforum. Anyone?

Excellent cloth.Equal to or better than Golden Bale. The lighter weight Escorial is sometimes bit on the soft side. They all tailor up well. The price is about a 80% discount. At one time Escorial was exclusive to Brioni. I like using the cloth. 10 & 11 ounce is the sweet spot.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Any thoughts on the Reid & Taylor Escorial. My tailor has some in stock and was offering at a very good price.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^ Any thoughts on the Reid & Taylor Escorial. My tailor has some in stock and was offering at a very good price.

I'm not The Despos, but for what its worth I've examined the R&T Escorial in HK. Its nice (made in India I think), but really no comparison to the H&S version.

That being said, if your tailor is offering the cloth / suit at a good price, I would do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads