• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone like Bill Maher?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
The lack of religious kooks and closed minded conversatives in other countries is a big plus.
crackup[1].gif
You are trying so, so hard to troll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch_Therriault
Roch "Moïse" ThÃ
00a9.png
riault (born May 16, 1947) is the charismatic former leader of a small religious group based near Burnt River, Ontario, Canada. Between 1977 and 1989 he held sway over as many as 12 adults and 26 children. He used all of the nine women as concubines, and probably fathered most of the children in the group.[1] He was arrested for assault in 1989, and convicted of murder in 1993. He is serving a life sentence and was denied parole in 2002. Along with Clifford Olsen and Paul Bernardo, ThÃ
00a9.png
riault is considered one of Canada's most notorious criminals.[2] During his reign, ThÃ
00a9.png
riault mutilated several members. He once used a meat cleaver to chop off the hand and part of the arm of Gabrielle LavallÃ
00a9.png
e, one of his concubines. He also removed 8 of her teeth. ThÃ
00a9.png
riault was accused of castrating a 2-year-old boy, as well as one adult man. His major crime was to kill Solange Boilard, his legal wife, by disembowelment while trying to perform surgery on her.[3][4] The group was based primarily on religious themes, such as women's obedience to men, polygamy, harsh punishments, the righteousness of the leader and the sinfulness of the followers, and living miracles. ThÃ
00a9.png
riault was called "father (papy)" and re-christened all members with biblical names. He also claimed to be a reincarnation of the prophet Moses, and demanded the respect appropriate for such a figure. Based on the testimony of former cult members, ThÃ
00a9.png
riault was probably delusional and may have actually believed he could do miracles. In particular, he once tried to resurrect a woman he had killed by sawing the top off her corpse's skull and masturbating into the cavity.[5]
Noice one!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking as a world class grand champion troll, I'd say yes, if Maher came here, he'd be a troll, and I'd feel compelled to battle him for most irritating stupid troll asshole title in all SF.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Speaking as a world class grand champion troll, I'd say yes, if Maher came here, he'd be a troll, and I'd feel compelled to battle him for most irritating stupid troll asshole title in all SF.

A troll is someone who starts **** for the sake of starting **** with no real opinion. If Maher was to go on a religion or politics thread here and provide his possibly unpopular opinion - that's not trolling.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So if Bill Maher actually started posting on this forum - would you call him a troll too, since we share much of the same opinion?

A troll is someone who starts **** for the sake of starting **** with no real opinion. If Maher was to go on a religion or politics thread here and provide his possibly unpopular opinion - that's not trolling.

No. To echo what FLMM tried to explain to you quite some time ago, it's not the opinions you express that are the problem. The problem is your inability to express them without being an ass, and your complete lack of desire to back most (all?) of your statements with facts/evidence. You actually alienate people who agree with you because you're, well, acting like a raving lunatic.

I would likely agree strongly with Maher on most of his social perspectives. When he was on PC I tended to agree with him on most political issues, but I haven't heard enough of his opinions lately to venture a guess on the totality of my agreement with him.

I have repeatedly defended positions that are very similar to Maher's, and I've never been called a troll. So, no, I don't think he would be called a troll based upon his opinion. He would, however, be called a troll if he acted like a troll, which is what you've done.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
No. To echo what FLMM tried to explain to you quite some time ago, it's not the opinions you express that are the problem. The problem is your inability to express them without being an ass, and your complete lack of desire to back most (all?) of your statements with facts/evidence. You actually alienate people who agree with you because you're, well, acting like a raving lunatic.

I would likely agree strongly with Maher on most of his social perspectives. When he was on PC I tended to agree with him on most political issues, but I haven't heard enough of his opinions lately to venture a guess on the totality of my agreement with him.

I have repeatedly defended positions that are very similar to Maher's, and I've never been called a troll. So, no, I don't think he would be called a troll based upon his opinion. He would, however, be called a troll if he acted like a troll, which is what you've done.

Or maybe I am just a very passionate, opinionated, outspoken person with a sarcastic sense of humor and through the internet, it comes across as you say - like a raving lunatic.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Ugh, would you two 'mos get a room.
I am not a Mormon ... I'm Episcopalian. My God is Emily Post ... although sometimes it's Millicent Fenwick.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or maybe I am just a very passionate, opinionated, outspoken person with a sarcastic sense of humor and through the internet, it comes across as you say - like a raving lunatic.

Could be. But I would classify myself as all of these things, and I've never taken the abuse you took in this thread. In fact, I think a lot of our members could be considered any number of the things you list, and they don't get attacked like you did. They get in flame wars, for sure, but they don't have people who agree with them chiming in and saying "dude, I agree with you, but there's no way I'm taking your side on this because you're representing it very poorly."

Regardless, you do what you feel like you have to do, but I can assure you you're not being attacked due to the unpopularity of your opinion.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And don't we all want to be passionate, oppinionated, outspoken persons with a sense of humor?

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Could be. But I would classify myself as all of these things, and I've never taken the abuse you took in this thread. In fact, I think a lot of our members could be considered any number of the things you list, and they don't get attacked like you did. They get in flame wars, for sure, but they don't have people who agree with them chiming in and saying "dude, I agree with you, but there's no way I'm taking your side on this because you're representing it very poorly."

Regardless, you do what you feel like you have to do, but I can assure you you're not being attacked due to the unpopularity of your opinion.

I think some of you are missing the point though. Words are being used like attacked, absused and the douchebag word pwned (that only ******* losers on the internet use) and yet - I feel perfectly fine and certainly don't feel attacked, abused or "pwned". It's not really effective attacking, abusing or pwing, when the person doesn't feel even remotely offended or embarrassed.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG

Who the **** cares how a side is presented if you agree with the point in the first place. Yes, some people may go over the top in explaining their view points, but first and foremost - I personally would come out and say that I agree with that person. If you would classify yourself as sarcastic - then you should have no problem with me and just agree if you do feel the same way.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
And don't we all want to be passionate, oppinionated, outspoken persons with a sense of humor?

The key word missing here is sarcastic - which depending on one's sense of humor, could be deemed as a negative form or humor or the person potentally viewed as an asshole.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who the **** cares how a side is presented if you agree with the point in the first place. Yes, some people may go over the top in explaining their view points, but first and foremost - I personally would come out and say that I agree with that person. If you would classify yourself as sarcastic - then you should have no problem with me and just agree if you do feel the same way.

You are a ******* idiot. You have the maturity of a 17 year old kid.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
You are a ******* idiot. You have the maturity of a 17 year old kid.

Why am I an idiot - because I believe that the actual point or opinion is the most important thing - not how the person is selling the point/opinion? If I completely agree with a certain viewpoint, I don't give a **** how someone wants to convey that viewpoint, if I already agree with it in the first place.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Why am I an idiot - because I believe that the actual point or opinion is the most important thing - not how the person is selling the point/opinion? If I completely agree with a certain viewpoint, I don't give a **** how someone wants to convey that viewpoint, if I already agree with it in the first place.
Originally Posted by mharwitt
so what you're implying is that if you had an ethical dilemma with something like abortion or the use of research embryos, you would support someone who was opposed to the same things for religious reasons. interesting.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads