Does anyone like Bill Maher?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by runner-guy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The lack of religious kooks and closed minded conversatives in other countries is a big plus.
    [​IMG] You are trying so, so hard to troll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch_Therriault
    Noice one!

2. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

[​IMG]

You are trying so, so hard to troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch_Therriault

Noice one!

So if Bill Maher actually started posting on this forum - would you call him a troll too, since we share much of the same opinion?

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Speaking as a world class grand champion troll, I'd say yes, if Maher came here, he'd be a troll, and I'd feel compelled to battle him for most irritating stupid troll asshole title in all SF.

4. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

Speaking as a world class grand champion troll, I'd say yes, if Maher came here, he'd be a troll, and I'd feel compelled to battle him for most irritating stupid troll asshole title in all SF.

A troll is someone who starts shit for the sake of starting shit with no real opinion. If Maher was to go on a religion or politics thread here and provide his possibly unpopular opinion - that's not trolling.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

So if Bill Maher actually started posting on this forum - would you call him a troll too, since we share much of the same opinion?

A troll is someone who starts shit for the sake of starting shit with no real opinion. If Maher was to go on a religion or politics thread here and provide his possibly unpopular opinion - that's not trolling.

No. To echo what FLMM tried to explain to you quite some time ago, it's not the opinions you express that are the problem. The problem is your inability to express them without being an ass, and your complete lack of desire to back most (all?) of your statements with facts/evidence. You actually alienate people who agree with you because you're, well, acting like a raving lunatic.

I would likely agree strongly with Maher on most of his social perspectives. When he was on PC I tended to agree with him on most political issues, but I haven't heard enough of his opinions lately to venture a guess on the totality of my agreement with him.

I have repeatedly defended positions that are very similar to Maher's, and I've never been called a troll. So, no, I don't think he would be called a troll based upon his opinion. He would, however, be called a troll if he acted like a troll, which is what you've done.

6. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

No. To echo what FLMM tried to explain to you quite some time ago, it's not the opinions you express that are the problem. The problem is your inability to express them without being an ass, and your complete lack of desire to back most (all?) of your statements with facts/evidence. You actually alienate people who agree with you because you're, well, acting like a raving lunatic.

I would likely agree strongly with Maher on most of his social perspectives. When he was on PC I tended to agree with him on most political issues, but I haven't heard enough of his opinions lately to venture a guess on the totality of my agreement with him.

I have repeatedly defended positions that are very similar to Maher's, and I've never been called a troll. So, no, I don't think he would be called a troll based upon his opinion. He would, however, be called a troll if he acted like a troll, which is what you've done.

Or maybe I am just a very passionate, opinionated, outspoken person with a sarcastic sense of humor and through the internet, it comes across as you say - like a raving lunatic.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Ugh, would you two 'mos get a room.
    I am not a Mormon ... I'm Episcopalian. My God is Emily Post ... although sometimes it's Millicent Fenwick.

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

Or maybe I am just a very passionate, opinionated, outspoken person with a sarcastic sense of humor and through the internet, it comes across as you say - like a raving lunatic.

Could be. But I would classify myself as all of these things, and I've never taken the abuse you took in this thread. In fact, I think a lot of our members could be considered any number of the things you list, and they don't get attacked like you did. They get in flame wars, for sure, but they don't have people who agree with them chiming in and saying "dude, I agree with you, but there's no way I'm taking your side on this because you're representing it very poorly."

Regardless, you do what you feel like you have to do, but I can assure you you're not being attacked due to the unpopularity of your opinion.

9. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

And don't we all want to be passionate, oppinionated, outspoken persons with a sense of humor?

10. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

Could be. But I would classify myself as all of these things, and I've never taken the abuse you took in this thread. In fact, I think a lot of our members could be considered any number of the things you list, and they don't get attacked like you did. They get in flame wars, for sure, but they don't have people who agree with them chiming in and saying "dude, I agree with you, but there's no way I'm taking your side on this because you're representing it very poorly."

Regardless, you do what you feel like you have to do, but I can assure you you're not being attacked due to the unpopularity of your opinion.

I think some of you are missing the point though. Words are being used like attacked, absused and the douchebag word pwned (that only fucking losers on the internet use) and yet - I feel perfectly fine and certainly don't feel attacked, abused or "pwned". It's not really effective attacking, abusing or pwing, when the person doesn't feel even remotely offended or embarrassed.

11. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

Who the fuck cares how a side is presented if you agree with the point in the first place. Yes, some people may go over the top in explaining their view points, but first and foremost - I personally would come out and say that I agree with that person. If you would classify yourself as sarcastic - then you should have no problem with me and just agree if you do feel the same way.

12. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

And don't we all want to be passionate, oppinionated, outspoken persons with a sense of humor?

The key word missing here is sarcastic - which depending on one's sense of humor, could be deemed as a negative form or humor or the person potentally viewed as an asshole.

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Who the fuck cares how a side is presented if you agree with the point in the first place. Yes, some people may go over the top in explaining their view points, but first and foremost - I personally would come out and say that I agree with that person. If you would classify yourself as sarcastic - then you should have no problem with me and just agree if you do feel the same way.

You are a fucking idiot. You have the maturity of a 17 year old kid.

14. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

You are a fucking idiot. You have the maturity of a 17 year old kid.

Why am I an idiot - because I believe that the actual point or opinion is the most important thing - not how the person is selling the point/opinion? If I completely agree with a certain viewpoint, I don't give a fuck how someone wants to convey that viewpoint, if I already agree with it in the first place.

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Why am I an idiot - because I believe that the actual point or opinion is the most important thing - not how the person is selling the point/opinion? If I completely agree with a certain viewpoint, I don't give a fuck how someone wants to convey that viewpoint, if I already agree with it in the first place.
    so what you're implying is that if you had an ethical dilemma with something like abortion or the use of research embryos, you would support someone who was opposed to the same things for religious reasons. interesting.
    [​IMG]