• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF "Holy Grail" Shoe

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
not really MH71 nor TG73 but i cross over of the 2, like HRoi said LC88 hahahaha
laugh.gif

I thought it was the LC168 last
bounce2.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I thought it was the LC168 last
bounce2.gif

more like LC1314
bigstar[1].gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Rudolf Scheer & Söhne.

Originally Posted by poorsod
I thought it was snark aimed at fritzl.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by fritzl
not at all

It probably was.

Fritzl despises Scheer (look through older postings of his).

After all, Scheer will not do wood-pegged (that probably qualifies them as traitors to the cause) and their look has nothing in common with the stuff which Fritzl promotes here as ‘Austro/Hungarian’. Scheer’s shoes are not short and stumpy, because Scheer places the ‘vamp point’ much higher, so their designs are long in the vamp and short in the quarters.

Same generic (Austrian) style, two interpretations

scheer-1.jpg

Scheer

maftei.jpg

Maftei

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
It probably was. Fritzl despises Scheer (look through older postings of his). After all, Scheer will not do wood-pegged (that probably qualifies them as traitors to the cause) and their look has nothing in common with the stuff which Fritzl promotes here as "˜Austro/Hungarian'. Scheer's shoes are not short and stumpy, because Scheer places the "˜vamp point' much higher, so their designs are long in the vamp and short in the quarters. Same generic (Austrian) style, two interpretations
scheer-1.jpg
Scheer
maftei.jpg
Maftei

They are foul. Especially the bottom one.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Fritzl despises Scheer (look through older postings of his).

After all, Scheer will not do wood-pegged (that probably qualifies them as traitors to the cause) and their look has nothing in common with the stuff which Fritzl promotes here as "˜Austro/Hungarian'. Scheer's shoes are not short and stumpy, because Scheer places the "˜vamp point' much higher, so their designs are long in the vamp and short in the quarters.

Same generic (Austrian) style, two interpretations

scheer-1.jpg

Scheer

maftei.jpg

Maftei

I have no horse in the race, but for what it's worth, I have seen short and stumpy shoes made by Scheer and sleek examples from Maftei.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It probably was. Fritzl despises Scheer (look through older postings of his).
sorry, i really don't know what you are talking about.. ...again. Scheer is and will always be high on my list. maybe they do not do wood pegged nowadays, but they did, so what? pls take care of your own things and stop interpreting. period. i'm really pissed...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
I have no horse in the race, but for what it's worth, I have seen short and stumpy shoes made by Scheer and sleek examples from Maftei.
I don't mind the shape, whole cuts are my favourite shoe. I don't like the faux(?) seam on the shoe and the leather on the bottom one is god dam awful. It looks like tree bark. The whole (
smile.gif
) point, of a wholecut, is that it is minimalist, there are no fancy medallions, textured leathers, superfluous seams etc. The wholecut derives is beauty from the purity of it's design, from it's simplicity.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
sorry, i really don't know what you are talking about.. ...again. Scheer is and will always be high on my list. maybe they do not do wood pegged nowadays, but they did, so whatß pls take care of your own things and stop interpreting. period. i'm really pissed...
We can see that.You left an Eszett on the end of word what.
wink.gif

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I don't mind the shape, whole cuts are my favourite shoe. I don't like the faux(?) seam on the shoe and the leather on the bottom one is god dam awful. It looks like tree bark.

The whole (
smile.gif
) point, of a wholecut, is that it is minimalist, there are no fancy medallions, textured leathers, superfluous seams etc.

The wholecut derives is beauty from the purity of it's design, from it's simplicity.

The faux seam is an Austrian / Scheer signature thing, at least I have only seen one on a Scheer shoe in real life. Not my cup of tea either.

But we shouldn't forget the shoes shown above are bespoke shoes and therefor reflect the personal taste of the owner, not necessarily of the maker.

And as I said, I have seen shoes made by Scheer, which were very much resembling the ones fritzl posted here. So it's wrong that Scheer and fritzl have a totally different aesthetic. It all comes down to what the individual client of a Bespoke maker wants, right?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind the shape, whole cuts are my favourite shoe. I don't like the faux(?) seam on the shoe and the leather on the bottom one is god dam awful. It looks like tree bark.

The whole (
smile.gif
) point, of a wholecut, is that it is minimalist, there are no fancy medallions, textured leathers, superfluous seams etc.

The wholecut derives is beauty from the purity of it's design, from it's simplicity.

the tree bark looking leather is "shark skin" not the best example of how it could be used but it is a nice leather and i like it a lot

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the faux(?) seam on the shoe
Are you sure that's a fake seam? It looks real enough to me. I see a line right down the middle that is so typical of two pieces of leather being joined together that I am not convinced it is either a faux seam nor am convinced that it is a whole cut. That said, I've never seen a Scheer nor seen a faux seam done on the forepart (Why?!!).
puzzled.gif
True dat, but one of the attractions for shoemakers is that it is also a little more difficult to do well...if only because of that simplicity. It is also one of the most extravagant and expensive with regard to the cutting of the leather. The shark shoe, as well as the other (box calf?), look to me like they are seamed up the forepart. If so, they are not whole cuts and in fact, a forepart seamed shoe may be the easiest and cheapest style to make. If they truly are whole cuts and that truly is a faux seam, then I question why the devil it was done in the first place. It destroys the lines of a full cut and adds nothing by way of strength or durability...just the opposite, in fact.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Nope, love 'em.

I still have never worn my brown Grants and may sell those.

Doc, it's almost criminal to keep such beautiful shoes under wraps. Wear those puppies!

That said, I've had a 3-4 year love affair with monkstraps. My "holy grail" shoe is the JL Vale, which is now discontinued
frown.gif
. I actively dislike alligator shoes, but saw a pair of JL Vales in chestnut-colored alligator on ebay and had my first and only shoe-gasm. They were truly gorgeous (and also selling for several thousand dollars, so I'll never own a pair).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads