• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

Wideknot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
I'm not sure that the number of comments you receive is a good indicator of how much women care. I mean, how often do you comment on the shoes women wear? I always notice -- together with the handbag, shoes are the surest indicator of class -- but I don't always comment on them because that is usually not appropriate.

I will. Always. In fact, I make a point of seeking out something notable in a person's dress and complimenting it. Amazing how far it goes towards building a relationship. One woman I know, I kid you not, I once complimented her shoes and for months, maybe close to a year, whenever we were together, she wore those shoes.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
I will. Always. In fact, I make a point of seeking out something notable in a person's dress and complimenting it. Amazing how far it goes towards building a relationship. One woman I know, I kid you not, I once complimented her shoes and for months, maybe close to a year, whenever we were together, she wore those shoes.

Haha, hilarious.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perdogg
Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear? I read somewhere that since women feel that they have to pay a lot, and put effort into shoes it is only fair that they judge men by the shoes they wear.

To me it sounds like rubbish, I just wanted to now how true or relevant this was.

yes and no. i've seen way too many gorgeous women with douchebag types who wore ugly square-toed shoes or pointy elf shoes with jeans. I don't see many women with guys who know how to dress, let alone wear nice shoes - they're in the minority imo

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they notice more when they are looked after with a good polish, but yeah I think it's a generalisation that all women judge men by their shoe's.

They certainly notice it more than unbuttoned sleeve buttons on your jacket though...

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
I think they notice more when they are looked after with a good polish, but yeah I think it's a generalisation that all women judge men by their shoe's.

They certainly notice it more than unbuttoned sleeve buttons on your jacket though...

unless you have baller ass buttons

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Of course they notice shoes, maybe not judge, but they do notice...they notice everything. Maybe they haven't said anything to you, but that does not mean they're not paying attention. Chances are (judging from what I have seen of the fellows on SF) you're probably too weird, creepy, or socially marsupialed for them to actually tell you.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It's a bonus but it won't get you laid (or unget you laid).

+1, however I've had one woman tell me that if she meets a guy with terrible shoes, it's a deal breaker. She was kinda crazy though.

Originally Posted by vincerich
In both cases, it's with good reason. Shostakovich = Hack

You're on my ignore list for that comment.

To be honest, I judge women by their shoes. Something about clunky ugly ass shoes on women is disgusting to me. But usually the women that wear those type of shoes aren't desirable anyway, so it's a moot point.

Hehlol

Reaction score
Why I don't know if an entire gender of the human population does one thing...

But I suppose some women do...

This is like asking, "Do all men think pretty girls are stupid?" SOME men do, but ALL do not.

Each woman and man is different, this seems to be something this forum has a hard time understanding.

SOME women judge men by their shoes, ALL do not.

xCoffee

Reaction score
I think there is definitely a variance based on age.

At under 30, women generally will not judge men by WHAT shoe they wear. If it is obviously badly scuffed, not fit for the occasion, they will almost always notice. I think women will only care if it is conspicuously bad, or if it stands on in a good way. When I say stand out, I mean by an odd color, odd style, etc.

Honestly, why would women by knowledgable about men's shoes? Most men would notice if a woman's shoes are not fit for the occasion, if it detracts from the outfit, if they are obviously spectaculor, etc. Sometimes, if the shoes complement the outfit particularly well, we'd notice as well, and may comment. However, can most men judge if a pair of heels are Kenneth Cole vs Jimmy Choos? probably not (maybe Jimmy Choos or Louboutins due to their distinct nature, but moving on.) Men's shoes are much less distinctive most of the time. There is little reason for women to learn to destinguish between a shoe's quality that falls between 60 percentile and 95 percentile, just as men have little reason to destinguish between a dress, which has a much larger impact on an outfit (msot of the time, not all the time), falling between the same percentiles.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely known in my office as the "nice shoe guy" and by SF standards I'm a complete newb.

I have gotten multiple compliments from ladies on my

- RM Williams Chelseas
- Grenson Desert boots
- Burgundy Shell Cordovan longwings
- sand suede loafers w/ red brick sole

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
So wrong on both counts. Lots of people care about dressing nicely, you just haven't met them yet.

And no one gets to make blanket statements about genres until they are exhaustively familiar with both genres. Especially with classical music, I don't listen to people's opinions on a given composer unless they have experience with composition themselves... it's easy to write big swells of strings and make people feel swept away, it's much harder to do it in an interesting way a la Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei. It's easy to talk **** on rap until you've spent time in the actual scene, gone to battles (or been in one yourself), and experienced the genre from multiple angles.

I should stop getting so worked up about music, but people should also stop saying stupid ****.

Lots of people care, but rarely do they judge you. I don't have more (or less) people liking me, because I stopped wearing old marc echo sneakers and changed into more expensive dressy shoes. People definitely notice and even compliment me a lot, but their attitude towards me doesn't change. I'm still the same person, I just dress differently. I believe that in general people on this forum overrate the effect that their clothes produce on the rest of the population.

Why do you get so worked up over music? And stop comparing apples to oranges. If you want to talk about rap battles, then I'm more than willing to. But it would be more appropriate to compare them to poetry, rather than music, don't you think so? As far as music goes, I think it's pretty clear that classical music is much more complex, interesting, intellectual etc than rap music. The music, not the lyrics.

I enjoy a Gorillaz album from time to time with all their hip-hop inserts. It's fresh, it's different. It has it's place in my record collection and in the world, just like every other genre. But I don't like when people claim there is no objectivity in art. It's like clothes. We all know and agree that RLBL is better than H&M. A lot of people have H&M. I have H&M. I don't have RLBL, but I'd like to if I had the extra money. Same with music.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads