• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perdogg
Here is the quote from How to Succeed with Women, I found this at a used-books store

Quote (fair usage claimed):

"Women also evaluate men by the quality of the shoes. It is hard for men to comprehend the amount of time women spend thinking about shoes. The have conversations with each other about shoes; they spend discreet blocks of time shoe shopping ; they sit around thinking about what shoes to wear with what outfits....With this in mind, you wouldn't be surprised to find out that she also judges and thinks about your shoes."

There you have it - CASE CLOSED!
bigstar[1].gif

jacnyr

Reaction score
My girlfriend said that women notice: shoes, hair, and teeth in that order.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I think there are two distinct propositions here that are getting muddled.

Prop 1: Women notice the shoes men are wearing (i.e. the color, shape, how well cared for, how they work with his outfit, "interesting" factor, etc.) I would agree this is mostly true.

Prop 2: Women can tell if you are wearing Lobbs, EGs, Church's, etc., are even aware of these brands, and somehow put you in higher esteem because you are wearing them as a result. I would argue this is far more rare, and generally untrue. A discerning woman might appreciate the beauty of a well-turned EG with a rich, deep patina, or catch the sight of a perfect sole at the opera while your foot is turned her way; yet most likely she will not know the brand or have even heard of it (unless her dad, brothers, etc. are connoisseurs themselves). She may recognize Gucci, Ferragamo, etc. but that's about it.

But honestly guys, even among enthusiasts, could most of you tell the difference, on the street, between an EG, G&G, Lobb, etc. semi-brogue in walnut/medium brown just with a glance?

TG.

Reaction score
My girlfriend said that women notice: shoes, hair, and teeth in that order.

Yes indeed. women & girls DO notice shoes.
They can't tell the difference between wal mart $50.00 shoes vs my AE moras, C&J monks,Tramezza, Church, etc but my feet do.
Women notice everything.
I could wear unkempt clothes but my shoes are always shined and women notice.

TG

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Guys who say women don't look at their shoes usually have shoes that aren't worth a look.
+10. Couldn't agree more. If you wear unattractive shoes, obviously no one is going to point out that they're non-distinct.

Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Of course they notice shoes, maybe not judge, but they do notice...they notice everything. Maybe they haven't said anything to you, but that does not mean they're not paying attention. Chances are (judging from what I have seen of the fellows on SF) you're probably too weird, creepy, or socially marsupialed for them to actually tell you.
crackup[1].gif

Originally Posted by Beetleything
Here is the quote from How to Succeed with Women, I found this at a used-books store

Quote (fair usage claimed):

"Women also evaluate men by the quality of the shoes. It is hard for men to comprehend the amount of time women spend thinking about shoes. The have conversations with each other about shoes; they spend discreet blocks of time shoe shopping ; they sit around thinking about what shoes to wear with what outfits....With this in mind, you wouldn't be surprised to find out that she also judges and thinks about your shoes."

There you have it - CASE CLOSED!
bigstar[1].gif

Yeah, seriously. Knowing that there's a sizable percentage of women that *claim* they'd rather go shoe shopping than ******** (so sad, I know), it'd be ludicrous to say they don't care about your shoes at all. I mean did you guys read that thread where I think it was -Norton- woke up to that woman on her knees sniffing his shoes?

Read that post and tell me they don't give a ****.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
I will. Always. In fact, I make a point of seeking out something notable in a person's dress and complimenting it.
I absolutely hate that. It always sounds completely insincere.
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Chances are (judging from what I have seen of the fellows on SF) you're probably too weird, creepy, or socially marsupialed for them to actually tell you.
So that explains that, then.

Reaction score
Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear? I read somewhere that since women feel that they have to pay a lot, and put effort into shoes it is only fair that they judge men by the shoes they wear.

To me it sounds like rubbish, I just wanted to now how true or relevant this was.

I wouldn't know because I'm not a woman. But hopefully they don't. Anyway, I feel that men's shoes are actually more pricey than women's. IMHO...
eh.gif

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
So I think there are two distinct propositions here that are getting muddled.

Prop 1: Women notice the shoes men are wearing (i.e. the color, shape, how well cared for, how they work with his outfit, "interesting" factor, etc.) I would agree this is mostly true.

Prop 2: Women can tell if you are wearing Lobbs, EGs, Church's, etc., are even aware of these brands, and somehow put you in higher esteem because you are wearing them as a result. I would argue this is far more rare, and generally untrue. A discerning woman might appreciate the beauty of a well-turned EG with a rich, deep patina, or catch the sight of a perfect sole at the opera while your foot is turned her way; yet most likely she will not know the brand or have even heard of it (unless her dad, brothers, etc. are connoisseurs themselves). She may recognize Gucci, Ferragamo, etc. but that's about it.

But honestly guys, even among enthusiasts, could most of you tell the difference, on the street, between an EG, G&G, Lobb, etc. semi-brogue in walnut/medium brown just with a glance?

a lot of guys here are shoe fetishists and focus on details that non-enthusiast people don't see. i'm talking about leather quality, finishing, and even shoe comfort. what other people notice is the shape of the shoes, i.e. the lasts. Personally I think EG/Lobb/G&G have great lasts that are better than the competition. But you can't just blindly pick one of those shoes and expect to look good. You have to coordinate it with your foot shape and overall style. You alluded to this in "Prop 1" and I think it's definitely what women notice the most.

I do think that when worn correctly (i.e. appropriate last/model chosen), a pair of EGs or Lobbs will look more smashing than a similar pair of Aldens, Allen Edmonds, J&Ms, etc. However, if you have huge feet and wear full trousers, your sleek chisel toe bespoke Lobb Paris monkstraps will make you look like a clown, whereas Florsheim longwings or clunky Hugo Boss loafers might be very flattering and produce a successful overall look.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's what separates women from gentlewomen. Also, you can't hum a rap song.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
It's what separates women from gentlewomen. Also, you can't hum a rap song.

1) Who cares
2) Wrong

epb

Reaction score
I'm in the "they notice, but don't know men's shoes well" camp. I'm nowhere near the shoe geek lots of SFers are and mine are far from expensive, but I do keep them nice and I'm regularly complimented on my shoes.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore white/brown spectators last Friday to work. Otherwise dressed/acted very nonchalantly.

All the men noticed and complimented (or maybe it was snark, whatever). The women just pointed out that they looked like her golf shoes.

Perdogg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
+10. Couldn't agree more. If you wear unattractive shoes, obviously no one is going to point out that they're non-distinct.

crackup[1].gif

Yeah, seriously. Knowing that there's a sizable percentage of women that *claim* they'd rather go shoe shopping than ******** (so sad, I know), it'd be ludicrous to say they don't care about your shoes at all. I mean did you guys read that thread where I think it was -Norton- woke up to that woman on her knees sniffing his shoes?

Read that post and tell me they don't give a ****.

Where do I find a pair of Quarvifs, who sells them?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can't tell the difference between wal mart $50.00 shoes vs my AE moras, C&J monks,Tramezza, Church, etc but my feet do.
They can only tell the difference b/w the following categories/genres:
* DRESS SHOES
* SNEAKERS
* FLIP FLOPS
* etc

So, pants + dress shoes ...is different than pants + sneakers.
This is the granularity they'll notice and comment on.

Anything more is just your delusion.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I wore white/brown spectators last Friday to work. Otherwise dressed/acted very nonchalantly.

All the men noticed and complimented (or maybe it was snark, whatever). The women just pointed out that they looked like her golf shoes.

There you go. Wrong shoe to wear for attracting women.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads