1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Perdogg, Jun 24, 2010.

1. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Guys who say women don't look at their shoes usually have shoes that aren't worth a look.

2. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

In my experience women definitely notice and compliment shoes, whether they judge you on your footwear I can't say.

3. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

They may look, but most women know fuck all about men's shoes.

4. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

They only look at shoes to check your foot size in order to gauge the dimensions of another part of your body.

Fact of Life. You could wear a size 6E Edward Green but she will always go for the man with a size 14EEE Allen Edmonds.

5. Hans

Hans Senior member

I'm not sure that the number of comments you receive is a good indicator of how much women care. I mean, how often do you comment on the shoes women wear? I always notice -- together with the handbag, shoes are the surest indicator of class -- but I don't always comment on them because that is usually not appropriate.

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Women generally don't like men who have more shoes than them.

7. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Are you suggesting aportnoy's wife has more shoes than Imelda Marcos?

8. Wideknot

Wideknot Senior member

I'm not sure that the number of comments you receive is a good indicator of how much women care. I mean, how often do you comment on the shoes women wear? I always notice -- together with the handbag, shoes are the surest indicator of class -- but I don't always comment on them because that is usually not appropriate.

I will. Always. In fact, I make a point of seeking out something notable in a person's dress and complimenting it. Amazing how far it goes towards building a relationship. One woman I know, I kid you not, I once complimented her shoes and for months, maybe close to a year, whenever we were together, she wore those shoes.

9. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I will. Always. In fact, I make a point of seeking out something notable in a person's dress and complimenting it. Amazing how far it goes towards building a relationship. One woman I know, I kid you not, I once complimented her shoes and for months, maybe close to a year, whenever we were together, she wore those shoes.

Haha, hilarious.

10. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear? I read somewhere that since women feel that they have to pay a lot, and put effort into shoes it is only fair that they judge men by the shoes they wear.

To me it sounds like rubbish, I just wanted to now how true or relevant this was.

yes and no. i've seen way too many gorgeous women with douchebag types who wore ugly square-toed shoes or pointy elf shoes with jeans. I don't see many women with guys who know how to dress, let alone wear nice shoes - they're in the minority imo

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think they notice more when they are looked after with a good polish, but yeah I think it's a generalisation that all women judge men by their shoe's.

They certainly notice it more than unbuttoned sleeve buttons on your jacket though...

12. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

I think they notice more when they are looked after with a good polish, but yeah I think it's a generalisation that all women judge men by their shoe's.

They certainly notice it more than unbuttoned sleeve buttons on your jacket though...

unless you have baller ass buttons

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Are you suggesting aportnoy's wife has more shoes than Imelda Marcos?

He is married to Imelda Marcos.

14. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member

Of course they notice shoes, maybe not judge, but they do notice...they notice everything. Maybe they haven't said anything to you, but that does not mean they're not paying attention. Chances are (judging from what I have seen of the fellows on SF) you're probably too weird, creepy, or socially retarded for them to actually tell you.

15. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

It's a bonus but it won't get you laid (or unget you laid).

+1, however I've had one woman tell me that if she meets a guy with terrible shoes, it's a deal breaker. She was kinda crazy though.

In both cases, it's with good reason. Shostakovich = Hack

You're on my ignore list for that comment.

To be honest, I judge women by their shoes. Something about clunky ugly ass shoes on women is disgusting to me. But usually the women that wear those type of shoes aren't desirable anyway, so it's a moot point.

16. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

17. Hehlol

Hehlol Senior member

Why I don't know if an entire gender of the human population does one thing...

But I suppose some women do...

This is like asking, "Do all men think pretty girls are stupid?" SOME men do, but ALL do not.

Each woman and man is different, this seems to be something this forum has a hard time understanding.

SOME women judge men by their shoes, ALL do not.

18. xCoffee

xCoffee Well-Known Member

I think there is definitely a variance based on age.

At under 30, women generally will not judge men by WHAT shoe they wear. If it is obviously badly scuffed, not fit for the occasion, they will almost always notice. I think women will only care if it is conspicuously bad, or if it stands on in a good way. When I say stand out, I mean by an odd color, odd style, etc.

Honestly, why would women by knowledgable about men's shoes? Most men would notice if a woman's shoes are not fit for the occasion, if it detracts from the outfit, if they are obviously spectaculor, etc. Sometimes, if the shoes complement the outfit particularly well, we'd notice as well, and may comment. However, can most men judge if a pair of heels are Kenneth Cole vs Jimmy Choos? probably not (maybe Jimmy Choos or Louboutins due to their distinct nature, but moving on.) Men's shoes are much less distinctive most of the time. There is little reason for women to learn to destinguish between a shoe's quality that falls between 60 percentile and 95 percentile, just as men have little reason to destinguish between a dress, which has a much larger impact on an outfit (msot of the time, not all the time), falling between the same percentiles.

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I'm definitely known in my office as the "nice shoe guy" and by SF standards I'm a complete newb.

I have gotten multiple compliments from ladies on my

- RM Williams Chelseas
    - Grenson Desert boots
    - Burgundy Shell Cordovan longwings
    - sand suede loafers w/ red brick sole

20. acecow

acecow Senior member

So wrong on both counts. Lots of people care about dressing nicely, you just haven't met them yet.

And no one gets to make blanket statements about genres until they are exhaustively familiar with both genres. Especially with classical music, I don't listen to people's opinions on a given composer unless they have experience with composition themselves... it's easy to write big swells of strings and make people feel swept away, it's much harder to do it in an interesting way a la Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei. It's easy to talk shit on rap until you've spent time in the actual scene, gone to battles (or been in one yourself), and experienced the genre from multiple angles.

I should stop getting so worked up about music, but people should also stop saying stupid shit.

Lots of people care, but rarely do they judge you. I don't have more (or less) people liking me, because I stopped wearing old marc echo sneakers and changed into more expensive dressy shoes. People definitely notice and even compliment me a lot, but their attitude towards me doesn't change. I'm still the same person, I just dress differently. I believe that in general people on this forum overrate the effect that their clothes produce on the rest of the population.

Why do you get so worked up over music? And stop comparing apples to oranges. If you want to talk about rap battles, then I'm more than willing to. But it would be more appropriate to compare them to poetry, rather than music, don't you think so? As far as music goes, I think it's pretty clear that classical music is much more complex, interesting, intellectual etc than rap music. The music, not the lyrics.

I enjoy a Gorillaz album from time to time with all their hip-hop inserts. It's fresh, it's different. It has it's place in my record collection and in the world, just like every other genre. But I don't like when people claim there is no objectivity in art. It's like clothes. We all know and agree that RLBL is better than H&M. A lot of people have H&M. I have H&M. I don't have RLBL, but I'd like to if I had the extra money. Same with music.