• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Not sure that that's such a great analogy.

Hah yeah, the old "rap vs. classical" thing. I remember having that opinion when I was 9 years old, then I figured out some things about the world.

I've gotten lots of compliments on one pair of shoes, a pair of black leather Beatle boots. I think it's due to most people's unfamiliarity with the style, combined with how completely rad they looked.

Also, I've had people compliment my Dolce & Gabbana chelsea boots, not for the way the looked, but for the D&G label on the rivet (real cultural cache in a town where the only clothing stores are Urban Outfitters, Macy's, and Hollister).

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe "judge" is a bit extreme, but in my experience women will certainly take notice... and remember. I get random compliments from women on shoes I've worn weeks before.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perdogg
Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear? I read somewhere that since women feel that they have to pay a lot, and put effort into shoes it is only fair that they judge men by the shoes they wear.

To me it sounds like rubbish, I just wanted to now how true or relevant this was.

I read somewhere that girls were made of "sugar and spice and everything nice." As Arthur Spooner said, "Sugar and spice....and LIES."

I'm guessing that you read that bit about men's shoes in a magazine that advertises clothing and shoes. It's in the publisher's interest to promote the industries that pay the bills. I don't think that there's any special attention paid to shoes. Usually, shoes are the only thing that women CAN notice about a man because everything else in his wardrobe isn't original. When it comes down to it, if anything that you're wearing is ratty looking, it will carry the same amount of weight.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever been judged. Homosexualists notice, though. According to my unstylish brother, this is how he knows if someone is gay with 100% success: Do their shoes look like mine?

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Also, most women prefer non-SF-approved shoes for some odd reason. Just like most people prefer Jay Z to Shostakovich, I suppose.

In both cases, it's with good reason. Shostakovich = Hack

Hans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
most women don't...............most girls do.

In my experience, it is the other way around.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Nope as they will date the worst dressed hipster anyway.

Yeah, just because he has a personality or pretty eyes or good taste in music or something.

****** should learn that it doesn't mean anything until you have Vass on your feet and a banking career in your future.

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
most women don't...............most girls do.
And the difference between the two? I also found the reverse to be truer.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I get compliments on shoes, including relatively staid MC-type ones, sometimes with the "my mother told me to look at a men's shoes blablabla". I usually tell them that no woman is stupid enough to date men their mother would approve of.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I've only ever gotten complimented on my loafers - RL Darltons and JM Weston 180s, and formerly Gucci horsebits

Never when wearing laced shoes

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Can you really imagine a cute girl uncontrollably blerting out "Oh ****, John Lobbs".

Face it, you dress for us, your SF buddies.

Screw the bitches.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any woman who would judge a man by his shoes (or his clothes, or at all for that matter) is a woman worth avoiding.
This thread should be moved to the Health section since an alarming (and increasing) number of women in general have watched too much Oprah and want most men wiped off the face of the earth. Homicidal maniacs in every office and on every street corner I tell you.
Watch your cahones brothers.

Edit-
I love women but fear their stupidity.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Usually, shoes are the only thing that women CAN notice about a man because everything else in his wardrobe isn't original.

+1, for a lot of guys the only nice thing in their whole outfit is their shoes... the only thing women "judge" by them, or expensive watches or cufflinks for that matter, is if the guy is loaded or not; ... not if they're attracted to him or would sleep with him. The subtle gravitas from a well-fitting suit, or I dunno, his face or personality, carries much more influence than accessories, in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics