• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OCBD collar roll thread

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_7131.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most ocbd are going to roll eventually, that is the nature of the shirt. If it is that big of a deal then try a diffrent style collar.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Most ocbd are going to roll eventually, that is the nature of the shirt. If it is that big of a deal then try a diffrent style collar.

facepalm.gif

Do you even understand what this thread is about? We are *appreciating* the beauty of a nice roll in a OCBD, not denigrating it.

BBC

Reaction score
NOS Sero "The Purist" ocbd (light interlining in the collar) - haven't had a chance to try this one with a tie yet.
dfghsfdgh003-1.jpg

BBC

Reaction score
Vox, you'll appreciate these - I've got two late 1950s BB ocbds incoming and can't wait to try the collar roll...and how about that 5-button placket.

photo-46.jpg

photo-47.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received some Black Fleece BDs made from broad cloth, they are good for summer. Nice collar rolls,hard to beat BB when it comes to button down shirts. Still waiting for my order for classic candy stripes
inlove.gif

enarchay

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem with BB OCBDs? When I unbutton the top button (or first two buttons), the color tends to fall over to the left and right of my shoulders with the movement of my neck, rather than maintaining the "roll." I can fix this by repositioning it with my hands. Is this normal?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Vox, you'll appreciate these - I've got two late 1950s BB ocbds incoming and can't wait to try the collar roll...and how about that 5-button placket.

Interesting that the placket stops short of the bottom shirt front. I guess Black Fleece did their research after all. I thought it was just a weird Thom Browne-ism.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Interesting that the placket stops short of the bottom shirt front. I guess Black Fleece did their research after all. I thought it was just a weird Thom Browne-ism.

It's a throwback to the original design of the Brooks polo, which was something that we would call a "popover" these days. Sometime in the 1940s, I think, Jack Wood ordered that the OCBD be converted to a "coat front" for marketing and sales reasons, their term for a shirt that opened all the way to the hem. For awhile, they kept the placket at the same termination point, which is what you see in BBC's number. Later on, the placket was extended to what we're used to today except in the Black Fleece revival version.

Wood himself never liked the coat front, noting that it made him feel "naked."

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It's a throwback to the original design of the Brooks polo, which was something that we would call a "popover" these days.

Thanks for the info, B. I used to wear popover shirts all the time in high school. But, I'd only seen them in short sleeve sport shirt versions (madras, seersucker). A long sleeve dress shirt popover would be kinda cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads