• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First 'big boy' watch

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love SF
inlove.gif

Internet_argument_2.jpg

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foulard
Regarding the argument raised about various jewellers having watches made for them and branding them, there has been a long history of a traditional connection between jewellery manufacture and watch manufacture. Obviously Cartier, but there's also Bulgari and many others.

The point is there is and for the most part always has been a certain connection between them even from the days of pocket watches etc. Some watches were and are partly jewellery just by the way they are created and encased and banded.

Surely that's quite different to manufacturing knitwear and polo tops or am I wrong about that distinction? Adrian?

I again agree with you, but RL is more then just that. To me he is a designer that has enough money to realise a dream of his, i.e. to create/add a watch brand to what he's done before. I prefer his vision than those of say brands like Vuitton, Mont-Blanc, Dunhill, not mentioning Guess and some other low priced brands.

Adrian

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I would say that it's uniquely Canadian.

- B

It must be the French ancestry then...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd get a Jaegar le Coultre Reverso
reverso_grande_reserve_2.jpg
or IWC Big Pilot
big_pilot_watch.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I again agree with you, but RL is more then just that. To me he is a designer that has enough money to realise a dream of his, i.e. to create/add a watch brand to what he's done before. I prefer his vision than those of say brands like Vuitton, Mont-Blanc, Dunhill, not mentioning Guess and some other low priced brands.

Adrian

I've seen his recent collection of watches. They're nicely done, but much too large for my taste. However, they maintain a terrific collection of vintage watches.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Omega Speedmaster Professional. Fantastic, classic watch. Just make sure you get the original version and not some gussied-up, gimmick-laden limited edition.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
How about a "mafoofan recommends" watch article on Tweed in the City?

Nobody would listen and the comment section would inevitably degrade into a discussion about Stowa/Nomos.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A green or blue SWATCH, I'd say...have bought one myself this year, its quite reliable...but I may be prejudiced cause it also brings back memories of my teen-days when I used to wear them, too, so I may be emotionally distracted from real quality. Otherwise for 4000$ which is absolutely idiotic to spend on a watch, I'd get a Panerai. (And then I'd also like to give you all some ass kicking for abusing the resources of our planet.)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
A green or blue SWATCH, I'd say...have bought one myself this year, its quite reliable...but I may be prejudiced cause it also brings back my teen-days when I used to wear them, too, so I may be emotionaly distracted. Otherwise for 4000$ which is absolutely idiotic to spend on a watch I'd get a Panerai.

"It's stupid to spend $4,000 on a watch, but a Panerai is the least stupid option."

This needs explication.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? Is this required here?...I thought in a democracy everyone can pose an opinion, his opinion, and -as stupid as it may sound- (see 'to vote') there is absolutely no need of explanation at all! So: no, that is my OPINION.
wink.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nobody would listen and the comment section would inevitably degrade into a discussion about Stowa/Nomos.

001_0002.jpg

Originally Posted by Jerome
A green or blue SWATCH, I'd say...have bought one myself this year, its quite reliable...but I may be prejudiced cause it also brings back my teen-days when I used to wear them, too, so I may be emotionaly distracted. Otherwise for 4000$ which is absolutely idiotic to spend on a watch I'd get a Panerai.

Panerai? That surprises me coming from you. I would think of you more as a Breguet-that-does-not-tell-the-correct-time-anymore type.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads