• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First 'big boy' watch

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ That is, to my mind, the most successful of IWC's flieger re-designs. The others are total flops, actually.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nobody would listen and the comment section would inevitably degrade into a discussion about Stowa/Nomos.

You say this like it's a bad thing?

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Panerai? That surprises me coming from you. I would think of you more as a Breguet-that-does-not-tell-the-correct-time-anymore type.

- B

That's a very good comment...very witty, esp. since I hate Breguet due to their overly technical demeanour (and maybe my swatch reference plays into it, too)...but you have to realize that I also based my recommendation not only on my taste (whatever that may actually be) but also on the person who asked...one has to exact compassion, too...see the world from another persons viewpoint...Panerais would be out of the question for me, and also for you, Vox, but some more rough types, with a rougher physiognomy I mean, are more apt to carry it...and rightly so: its very manly, indeed.

p.s. I just saw a recent post and didn't know that IWC made such incredibly ugly watches...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
A green or blue SWATCH, I'd say...have bought one myself this year, its quite reliable...but I may be prejudiced cause it also brings back memories of my teen-days when I used to wear them, too, so I may be emotionally distracted from real quality. Otherwise for 4000$ which is absolutely idiotic to spend on a watch, I'd get a Panerai. (And then I'd also like to give you all some ass kicking for abusing the resources of our planet.)

Yo man, lets seen some pics of that Swatch....

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you further, but I think that for some people a watch like this would be quite 'ok':

tabletop4.jpg

(not for me, but that's not the topic here; but still, I'd prefer it to many of the other contributions.)

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Nobody would listen and the comment section would inevitably degrade into a discussion about Stowa/Nomos.

Just start with F.P. Journe. Those who don't know won't care. Only WISes would comment.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Just start with F.P. Journe. Those who don't know won't care. Only WISes would comment.

Oh man . . . I passed by the boutique on Madison Avenue a couple of weeks ago and gawked at the window display. My wife urged that we go in just to browse, but I knew it would just make me sad so I peeled myself away.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foulard
Im from Australia so I dont know the prices where you are. But I would say go for the Omega speedmaster but if you can afford it then go for the Rolex submariner. The seamaster is OK but doesnt have the kudos in terms of a classic diving like the Rolex does. But the speedmaster does have definate classic cred.

Other divers watches are too sporty. I think that the submariner is the only real one which can pull off a little more formality. Same goes for the speedmaster.

I disagree about the Omega Seamaster. It's got a fair amount of cred amongst the general public (the average bloke on the street, not the watch expert), probably because it's what James Bond wears in the last few movies. Whether it's deserved cred or not is up to the individual.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Well, I thought of buying a PP or Lange to mark my first child's birth with the intent to passing it on in due course. Something like the PP ads above. But it was the depths of recession here in India and couldn't spare 20000 USD at that time.

Anyways, never though of it again till now and I guess it's Ok. My son doesn't care. His current favourite 'wristwatch' is a plastic Chinese thing which has a superman on top and glows green and plays some music as well.

Sounds like a Panerai Luminor with minute repeater complication which is Made in China.

Your child will grow up to have good taste
facepalm.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

Before my current job, I used to teach. You would be amazed at the sense of entitlement children have these days. They feel like they deserve A+ for every assignment they hand in, regardless of the effort invested. I have received e-mails complaining about less than perfect grades without even bothering to dispute the validity of my critiques. It's mind-boggling. When you talk to them and sometimes the parents, you begin to see why this is. Every tiny success is rewarded, they are completely shielded from failure by a system that values self-esteem over real achievement, and are raised to believe in their own self-evident genius. Many have no concept of rough drafts or proofreading, often not even because they imagine themselves to be perfect (though this is sometimes the case), but because they've been told their whole lives how smart and talented they are. This discourages them from putting an effort into work and leads them to believe that their innate abilities are the only thing that counts. This has nothing to do with money or class.

coal_400x266.jpg

I belong to these generation you speak of. I blame this on girls. In this generation, ugly girls get praised by their girlfriends "oh you're beautiful gurl". 20 years ago, an ugly girl would grow up to be an ugly spinster.

Silver spoons are so very common...

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you get a Rolex Explorer I in that price range? Otherwise an Omega Railmaster, perhaps? But I really know nothing about watches.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Lemmy - congrats - go get it! I like Viral's suggestion the best - Rolex date just with a nice colored dial and stick figures. Timeless beauty!! YOu can't go wrong. Whatever you get, please post pics for us watch hookers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads