• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First 'big boy' watch

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My family are kind of watch heads and major celebrations are celebrated by buying a watch. I'm going to be graduating next year and my mom has already been talking to me about buying a watch for my graduation (which is near the same day as my 18th birthday) This will be a pretty expensive watch but it's not in the super expensive Patek Philippe range.

Can SF people help me pick out some possible options?

Here's some of the criteria that I hope you respect

Watch must be new.
Big brand name

And some things that I am looking for.

A watch that can be used as a 'OneWatch', it dresses up or down.
Watch that can be considered classic.
Price range is probably something up to $3000/$4000

And if you're going to be an asshole and call me spoilt or whatever just don't bother replying to this thread.

I'm currently thinking of an Omega (either the Seamaster or a Speedmaster) but I am open to a lot of options.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex datejust in SS/Jubilee/black faced w/ stick markers. I know some very good dealers.....PM me.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
at that price point, i like the breitling chronomat or navitimer. I'm not as big a fan, but the omega planet ocean or speedmasters are nice too. IWC portuguese would be pretty hard to find at that price point, but the mark xvi is nice albeit kind of plain. i personally like the santos 100 but resale is crap and it's considered more of a jewelery watch than anything

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
at that price point, i like the breitling chronomat or navitimer. I'm not as big a fan, but the omega planet ocean or speedmasters are nice too. IWC portuguese would be pretty hard to find at that price point, but the mark xvi is nice albeit kind of plain. i personally like the santos 100 but resale is crap and it's considered more of a jewelery watch than anything

IIRC, Mark models are in the Pilot series only, not Portuguese. No?

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
yea, i was just remarking on a previous post that you couldnt get a portuguese for 3-4k, and an alternative iwc that fits the price is the mark xvi. looks much better in person than photos, the finish is hard to capture.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
First, congrats on graduation!

Why not something like an Omega Constellation? They have a really nice pieces in the $2-$3K range. I own an Omega Constellation with the Mother of Pearl face and I love it!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
JLC Ultra Thin
JLC is the first watch that ame to my mind when I read the post. IWC would be another option I'd consider.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing with the IWC is that I have fallen in love with the Portuguese and I feel that getting a lower end IWC seems to be a little bit redundant since I plan on getting a Portuguese in the future.

I'm basically looking for something that is kind of young but can also be worn for the rest of my life.

What are some JLCs worth looking at? I'm not a big fan of square watches other than some Cartiers.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Is no one going to suggest Rolex ?
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Watch must be new. Price range is probably something up to $3000/$4000
I don't think one can get a new Rolex for $3-4K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads