• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Suit Options

Suitor1996

Reaction score
I am looking for a lighter blue suit for some summer weddings, and I decided to treat myself to something in the 2-3k price range. I have read over the style forum Google sheet that ranks most suit brands. I picked Canali because I found this suit online and really liked the color. However the issue is I cannot find this suit in a 38S anywhere. I tried on a 40S in the store and it was slightly too big (My chest is 38.5 inches). When the tailor pulled the jacket tight in the front there was about an inch of space between the button hole and the button. I am 5 feet 8 inches so I think I am right on the edge of regular and short.

The person helping me in the store said to come back when the other tailor was there and they could make it work, but I do not want to just make it work, I want a 2k suit to fit well. So my question is can a tailor fix something like that or is that too much to fix? It looks like they have a 38R online, so I guess one option would be to order that since I am right on the edge of short and regular.

If it doesn’t make sense to get this suit my backup option would be to get this suit. It looks like this is a super 130s and the Milano line is ranked a 4 on the spreadsheet where the first one is a 3. However, I really like the color of the first one better. There isn’t really a reason apart from the google sheet I found that I settled on Canali, so I am open to other brands as well.

Also are Canali suits with a wool blend lower quality? They are just as expensive so I was not sure if I should stay away from those. Example here

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s really hard for us to weigh in on whether the 40S suit can be tailored to fit you well without actually seeing any photos of it. You don’t want the jacket to be skin-tight, so having some extra room in the chest isn’t necessarily bad. If it fits you well in the shoulders, chest, and upper back then maybe. But I would be cautious of a salesperson saying it can be tailored to fit.

I wouldn’t use that Google doc for much. It is much more important that the suit fits you well. Where do you live? Other widely available brands around the same price point and similar construction quality would include Zegna, Caruso, Samuelsohn, Ring Jacket/Armoury.

personally I think that color suit is fun but not very versatile. If this is a splurge for you and you normally wear suits for other occasions as well, I’d personally spend the money on a boring navy or grey suit and spend just $400-600 on a fun summer suit at SuitSupply or Spier and Mackay (just naming two examples).

Suitor1996

Reaction score
I think it’s really hard for us to weigh in on whether the 40S suit can be tailored to fit you well without actually seeing any photos of it. You don’t want the jacket to be skin-tight, so having some extra room in the chest isn’t necessarily bad. If it fits you well in the shoulders, chest, and upper back then maybe. But I would be cautious of a salesperson saying it can be tailored to fit.

I wouldn’t use that Google doc for much. It is much more important that the suit fits you well. Where do you live? Other widely available brands around the same price point and similar construction quality would include Zegna, Caruso, Samuelsohn, Ring Jacket/Armoury.

personally I think that color suit is fun but not very versatile. If this is a splurge for you and you normally wear suits for other occasions as well, I’d personally spend the money on a boring navy or grey suit and spend just $400-600 on a fun summer suit at SuitSupply or Spier and Mackay (just naming two examples).
Thanks for the advice, I agree I should probably get a more versatile suit for this much money as it probably won’t be in style in a few years. I am in chicago so going to checkout some of the other stores (Nordstrom, saks, etc.). Unfortunately don’t have enough time to go fully custom from a tailor though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I agree I should probably get a more versatile suit for this much money as it probably won’t be in style in a few years. I am in chicago so going to checkout some of the other stores (Nordstrom, saks, etc.). Unfortunately don’t have enough time to go fully custom from a tailor though.

If you're in Chicago, also check out Paul Stuart.

Not in the same league but there is a SuitSupply store in Chicago that might be worth looking into if you're still thinking about a more casual summery suit.

MrAristocat

Reaction score
Late to the discussion, but just want to attest from experience that the said alteration can be done. I am a bit taller and usually wear 48 R but had a Canali suit size 50 L in regular fit (don’t know if drop 6 or 7) taken in by the tailor to fit pretty much perfect. And the alterations were sleeve length and width, jacket waist and length, ofc the trousers (don’t recall what exactly), I think even the back centre seam. It was a proper size bigger (except shoulders, which fit perfect off the bat) but so well designed and cut that no one could tell. I remember I scored that amazing suit for about 180€ in an outlet and paid like as much for alterations, but still was totally worth it. Still have it and wear it relatively regularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads