• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Refresh my recollection of your signature drink, sir? Rum old fashionds. Very interesting. I'll have to try one. With what rum where they made?
Mine was made with Zacapa 23 and a lighter rum, I forget which. The sweetener was Falernum.
Originally Posted by lbcgav
Is this your "signature drink"? Sounds like a gin mojito w/ lemon in place of lime. Edit:^^^^^ I see he's asking the same thing.
My signature drink is something I call the 'White Martini' and though I hate, generally, the use of Martini as a synonym for cocktail, I like to think I am not stretching the license. The idea was to make a clear-spirit version of a Manhattan, so I borrowed from the original "martini" the Martinez and its notion of Gin, Sweet Vermouth and Maraschino and also from the Vesper's use of sweet(er) white vermouth to create the White Martini:
dsc00372mi5.jpg
My standard is 2oz Hendrick's, 1oz Lillet Blanc, 1/4 oz Maraschino. Stir it over ice for at least 30 seconds (do NOT shake!) and serve with a generous piece of lemon peel expressed over the top (this is important).
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This is for ama, Hunts, and any VTR alumni.
IMG_0916.jpg

Ah, beautiful. I think I need glasses like that -- my drink was really warming up on the porch last night! BTW, is the Tango using Violette these days? I didn't think Ohio let them have it yet. Draconian liquor laws for the fail. ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Ah, beautiful. I think I need glasses like that -- my drink was really warming up on the porch last night!

BTW, is the Tango using Violette these days? I didn't think Ohio let them have it yet. Draconian liquor laws for the fail.

~ H

No, they did not have Violette for sale when I was there. However, I did notice a bottle of it that had been gifted to them.

AlarmGuy79

Reaction score
I just put back some 18 year old Macallan. I'm a huge scotch fan. Wife understands this even less than my clothing obsession.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Negroni and a Lady in Red here tonight, then a glass of Vacqueyras with dinner.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
No, they did not have Violette for sale when I was there. However, I did notice a bottle of it that had been gifted to them.
Yes, I've seen it too -- they also have a really old Hermes bottle on display, too. Ohio needs better liquor laws.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Having a Southside (gin, lemon, mint, simple, club soda) while sitting on my porch and watching the storm come up the valley.

Hunts, what gin would you recommend with this? I'm making them tomorrow for a hot day on the lake. I have Beefeater, Plymouth, Hendrick's, Sapphire, both North Shore gins (have you tried them yet?) and Gordon's. Thanks!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Hunts, what gin would you recommend with this? I'm making them tomorrow for a hot day on the lake. I have Beefeater, Plymouth, Hendrick's, Sapphire, both North Shore gins (have you tried them yet?) and Gordon's. Thanks!
k, because it's a tall drink and mint is very strong, I'd go with a straight-ahead gin -- so Plymouth, which is what I use. I think Hendrick's is too subtle, and the botanicals in Sapphire (which is my G&T gin) just too much. Beef, to me, is like Plymouth, but cheaper. No, I don't have either North Shore, but in a week I expect to spend a very, very, very brief night in Chicago (maybe too late to even try Violet Hour), and I will look when I'm there -- was going to start a threak on best Chicago liquor stores....unless you know, that is. ~ H

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
k, because it's a tall drink and mint is very strong, I'd go with a straight-ahead gin -- so Plymouth, which is what I use. I think Hendrick's is too subtle, and the botanicals in Sapphire (which is my G&T gin) just too much. Beef, to me, is like Plymouth, but cheaper. No, I don't have either North Shore, but in a week I expect to spend a very, very, very brief night in Chicago (maybe too late to even try Violet Hour), and I will look when I'm there -- was going to start a threak on best Chicago liquor stores....unless you know, that is.

~ H

Thanks! I will go with my Plymouth and sub Beefeater if I run out. I don't know of any really legitimate liquor stores in Chicago. I know the big chain is Binny's, and at some Binny's they have a large selection of spirits and wine, which you could search on their site. I really hate to recommend Binny's, because I really don't like them very much, but if you search their site and they have what you're looking for then I suppose there's no reason not to go there.
I'm sure there are specialty liquor stores, if you're on the lookout for the more esoteric liquors that you enjoy. I just don't know any of them well enough to recommend them or not.

Mblova

Reaction score
Iced coffee with bailey's

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just got home. Having my version of a Manhattan as a night cap.

2 oz Cask 16 Crown Royal
1 oz Vya sweet
1/4 oz Marascino liqueur
eye dropper VTR bitters

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads