• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of being dressed "differently"

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modagg
I would compare the dressing like a bum to being a dick to a pretty girl, who's used to everyone being nice to her because of the way she looks. You come along with a nonchalant attitude and they begin to wonder whats so special about you and want to know more. I would take it one more step further and when they call you to hire you, make them wait three days before you call back to show how busy and wanted you are.
laugh.gif

I had a potential employer call me and leave a message the day she received my resume. Meanwhile a routine medical exam I had that morning had discovered a potential stroke underway so I was sent to the hospital. Was then discharged that afternoon as nothing out of the ordinary was found. She called me about 11am, I returned her call at 2pm. The first words out of her mouth were, "Sure now you call me back, do you want this job or not. Because you obviously don't" I was polite, "You know it doesn't sound like I am a good fit for you. Thank you for considering my application." Hung up and said, "*****". The next week I had three competitive offers.

vincerich

Reaction score
I would compare the dressing like a bum to being a dick to a pretty girl, who's used to everyone being nice to her because of the way she looks. You come along with a nonchalant attitude and they begin to wonder whats so special about you and want to know more. I would take it one more step further and when they call you to hire you, make them wait three days before you call back to show how busy and wanted you are.
laugh.gif

Clearly, you're a virgin and you watch too much tv.

Made in California

Reaction score
Pretty harsh, Vince. I think it's pretty standard knowledge that beautiful girls are annoyed by guys who are too nice and flattering right off the bat.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you dress in drag, you will stand out and be remembered in every meeting*.

Also, the liberal use of physical violence in meetings will make you well known.

- B

* Except meetings of the FNB.net Steering Committee.

My friend had a boss that would bring a brick to every meeting and hold it up and shake it at everybody while he was trying to be motivating. He never understood it until one day he threw it at him. He soon got another job.

Oh yeah, the guy dressed really well. Just had to make it relevant somehow...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
If everyone is like you, then you will have to dress two levels above everyone else, but now everyone else is dressing up one level already so you'll be one level above, but then since they are like you, they are going to start dressing even nicer, thus causing you dress one level above that, and being just like you, the people who were once dressing one level below you will start to dress at your level in an attempt to replicate what you have done, causing youPARADOX

Exactly. Thus proving I am god.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
the number of serious replies this trolly post has generated is remarkable.

Look at the topic. You want serious debate about dressing like a bum at work on a clothes forum?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Look at the topic. You want serious debate about dressing like a bum at work on a clothes forum?

Well it could be an interesting topic. Do we have any panhandles out there? What I would like to know is how dirty and unshaven must you be to get the maximum financial benefit? Body odor? Food in beard? Crazy look in your eye? Sunglasses? Fiber that make the best rope belt? Do you cut you pants unevenly? What about military clothes? Do digitals work better than Vietnam-era camos?

Hmmmm...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this guy dressed the way he said he did, he'd be laughed out of the building.

He's a troll. Interesting, for the sake of debate though...!!!!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
If this guy dressed the way he said he did, he'd be laughed out of the building.

He's a troll. Interesting, for the sake of debate though...!!!!

Looking like a bum can be an interesting concept...

I used to arrive at parties in dirty jeans and tee-shirt and have a change mid-way just to confuse people...

I have an excuse:I'm bipolar...

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a consultant as well and deal mostly with C-level executives in terms of business development and strategy. I also work with a large number of creatives in executing work, so I have a foot in both camps and - bonus round - I work in a variety of sectors (financial, technology, telecomm, etc.) so I get to see a lot of cultures during the course of the year.

I dress on the SF-approved upside of "business casual" (whatever that means) - tailored slacks, sportscoat, suits, pocket squares and great shoes, but generally without a tie unless it is a full-on presentation or event. Beyond the quality of my work, I want to look serious, professional, and well worth the pain of my day rate no matter where I go.

It is generally a step above the standard (or two in case of high-tech - can someone weigh in and tell me why all those guys wear logo'd BDs that are two sizes too big?") in most environments and, based on my objectives, it works.

The idea of showing up looking like you have just mowed the lawn or changed the oil in your car is something I don't understand. I have seen a number of negative reactions from execs when creatives show up in their uniform of obscure sneakers, jeans, an ironic t-shirt, and uncombed hair (the look they all wear to say "I'm different") - as it tends to dilute the impact of their ideas/work. (FWIW, I have noticed that this is a look that doesn't age particularly well if the person is over 35...)

Bottom line: If someone is experiencing a mildly negative vibe at first glance, or even wondering "why you are dressed that way," then you have changed the near-term focus from driving the engagement and getting results.

I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but why would anyone seek to put themselves at that kind of disadvantage at the start of anything? It just seems like self-inflicted collateral damage...

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you dress in drag, you will stand out and be remembered in every meeting*.

Also, the liberal use of physical violence in meetings will make you well known.

- B

* Except meetings of the FNB.net Steering Committee.

Insert a picture of Socal2NYC in a skirt with eyepatch and plactic bag full of thai take-out here.

modagg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Clearly, you're a virgin and you watch too much tv.

Yes I am, it sucks and its something that has plagued me all my life. Will u tell me what I should do almighty vincerich? I will assume your an expert because not only do you share a name with Vince Vaughn (who i think is a ladies man?) but you have two first names and that's what makes the ladies crazy. Like Tom Ryan from sixteen candles- enough said.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Pretty harsh, Vince. I think it's pretty standard knowledge that beautiful girls are annoyed by guys who are too nice and flattering right off the bat.

....Just calling 'em like I see 'em. I think that most people are annoyed by the attitude that you pointed out, but that's completely different from the belief that being a "dick" makes attractive women want to know"what's so special about you." Only a guy with little experience and/or too much reliance on teen summer-break movies would believe that.

vincerich

Reaction score
Yes I am, it sucks and its something that has plagued me all my life. Will u tell me what I should do almighty vincerich? I will assume your an expert because not only do you share a name with Vince Vaughn (who i think is a ladies man?) but you have two first names and that's what makes the ladies crazy. Like Tom Ryan from sixteen candles- enough said.

See? Too much tv...wtf is "Sixteen Candles," and who's Tom Ryan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads