• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of being dressed "differently"

southbound35

Reaction score
"Sixteen Candles" is an 80's movie starring Molly Ringwald. The character in question was named Jake Ryan.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
Insert a picture of Socal2NYC in a skirt with eyepatch and plactic bag full of thai take-out here.

"I hereby adjourn this meeting of Gilt Groupe, specifically the Made for Gilt Groupe Subcommittee.

"Gentlemen, on with your eyepatches for we're off to the Thai place. Yes, you, too, Grimslade."

thom-browne-men-skirt-suit-street.jpg

- B

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"I hereby adjourn this meeting of Gilt Groupe, specifically the Made for Gilt Groupe Subcommittee.

"Gentlemen, on with your eyepatches for we're off to the Thai place. Yes, you, too, Grimslade."

thom-browne-men-skirt-suit-street.jpg

- B

That's scary.. The matrix goes cruising...

Doxe

Reaction score
^^^

Merci beaucoup, Vox.

I imagine this conversation from two people who had a business meeting with socal2NYC the day he wore that outfit:

Person 1: The guy with the eye-patch totally weirded me out.
Person 2: Eye-patch, did you get a load of the skirt he was wearing. WTF?!?
Person 1: Skirt! Holy cuss! I totally missed that!
Person 2: Yeah, when he was sitting at the conference table you couldn't tell because of the jacket, but that guy was wearing a cussing skirt!
Person 1: My wife won't believe me when I tell her this.
Person 2: I wish I took a picture. What a freak.
Person 1: If he's wearing skirt does that mean he wears women's underwear?
Person 2: I don't cussing know! I'm not into that sort of thing.
Person 1: Jeeze, that guy gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Person 2: If that's how he dresses for work, imagine what he looks like on the weekends.
Person 1: Did you hear a word that guy said?
Person 2: I didn't hear a cussing thing.
Person 1: Probably for the best.
Person 2: Yup. He was different, and that's not good.

<fin>

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
I'm a consultant as well and deal mostly with C-level executives in terms of business development and strategy. I also work with a large number of creatives in executing work, so I have a foot in both camps and - bonus round - I work in a variety of sectors (financial, technology, telecomm, etc.) so I get to see a lot of cultures during the course of the year.

I dress on the SF-approved upside of "business casual" (whatever that means) - tailored slacks, sportscoat, suits, pocket squares and great shoes, but generally without a tie unless it is a full-on presentation or event. Beyond the quality of my work, I want to look serious, professional, and well worth the pain of my day rate no matter where I go.

It is generally a step above the standard (or two in case of high-tech - can someone weigh in and tell me why all those guys wear logo'd BDs that are two sizes too big?") in most environments and, based on my objectives, it works.

The idea of showing up looking like you have just mowed the lawn or changed the oil in your car is something I don't understand. I have seen a number of negative reactions from execs when creatives show up in their uniform of obscure sneakers, jeans, an ironic t-shirt, and uncombed hair (the look they all wear to say "I'm different") - as it tends to dilute the impact of their ideas/work. (FWIW, I have noticed that this is a look that doesn't age particularly well if the person is over 35...)

Bottom line: If someone is experiencing a mildly negative vibe at first glance, or even wondering "why you are dressed that way," then you have changed the near-term focus from driving the engagement and getting results.

I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but why would anyone seek to put themselves at that kind of disadvantage at the start of anything? It just seems like self-inflicted collateral damage...

Can you conceive of a environment where dressing "business casual" would be a hindrance?

dv_indian

Reaction score
I show up looking vaguely homeless (think T-Shirt and Shorts).

Try sleeping in your suit for 3 days before important meetings. And avoid the shower like the plague during those 3 days.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Can you conceive of a environment where dressing "business casual" would be a hindrance?

Well, if we look at this image:

business_casual2.jpg

Moving up the formality chain involves dressing in women's clothing.

- B

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Well, if we look at this image:

business_casual2.jpg

Moving up the formality chain involves dressing in women's clothing.

- B

It appears it also involves becoming a woman. I'll let you guess what the C in C-level stands for...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Well it could be an interesting topic. Do we have any panhandles out there? What I would like to know is how dirty and unshaven must you be to get the maximum financial benefit? Body odor? Food in beard? Crazy look in your eye? Sunglasses? Fiber that make the best rope belt? Do you cut you pants unevenly? What about military clothes? Do digitals work better than Vietnam-era camos?

Hmmmm...

Who knows, we may spark the armpit revolution.

Carry on men. May the thread be with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads