• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros and Cons of being dressed "differently"

themutt

Reaction score
First post on SF, but I thought it'd be interesting to get some input from the people here on the subject.

As a consultant, I've found that I'm generally best served by dressing differently than the people I'm working with. What I mean by this is that, if their dress code is casual, I wear a suit. If the dress code is formal, I show up looking vaguely homeless (think T-Shirt and Shorts). Basically, I try to either be the best, or worst dressed person in the room. I have found that doing this seems to make getting people to pay attention in meetings and the like much easier, and causes the people to remember me more often.

Has anyone here noticed a similar phenomenon? I'm guessing, given the audience of SF, that people will be more experienced with the former.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by themutt
First post on SF, but I thought it'd be interesting to get some input from the people here on the subject.

As a consultant, I've found that I'm generally best served by dressing differently than the people I'm working with. What I mean by this is that, if their dress code is casual, I wear a suit. If the dress code is formal, I show up looking vaguely homeless (think T-Shirt and Shorts). Basically, I try to either be the best, or worst dressed person in the room. I have found that doing this seems to make getting people to pay attention in meetings and the like much easier, and causes the people to remember me more often.

Has anyone here noticed a similar phenomenon? I'm guessing, given the audience of SF, that people will be more experienced with the former.

If you're work in a creative field such as fashion ,advertising , you could get away with it ..

They will see you as being different but some business fileds are less tolerant and open minded .

You need to adapt to the environment you're evolving in...

Being remembered can be a great thing or a disaster if people are remembering you for the wrong things...

If I do want a financial or legal advice , I do expect the person in front of me to be sartorially conservative .
I'm most likely victim of such old-fashioned stereotype but this perception is commonly shared in our socities...

themutt

Reaction score
I'm a technical consultant for oil and gas companies. They're fairly conservative, but they tend to only remember if they got along with you, and how the job was done.

It's quite possible that the field I'm in is sort of unique in that regard.

Part of the difference is in how I carry myself dressed either way. When I show up in shorts/t-shirts, there's a definite feel of "You need me, more than I need you", while I'm in a suit, it's more "this idea is sound".

I'm kind of surprised at how difficult it is more me to explain exactly what I mean, though. It's amazing how hard some things are to put into words. *grin*

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you dress in drag, you will stand out and be remembered in every meeting*.

Also, the liberal use of physical violence in meetings will make you well known.

- B

* Except meetings of the FNB.net Steering Committee.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Also, the liberal use of physical violence in meetings will make you well known.

- B

It is compulsary for FNB steering meeting to have a massive puch-up at the end of it...

Why does he want to be remembered at any cost?

themutt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

Absolutely right, on the first bit, though that would also probably blind my clients... on the second... I think that would just make you fit in better, if the meetings I've attended are any indication.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worst dressed person in the room. I have found that doing this seems to make getting people to pay attention in meetings and the like much easier, and causes the people to remember me more often.

I can't imagine being the worst dressed gets you positive attention. Even if it's a college radio station discussing over the best shade of pink for your hair.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a consultant as well, you are half way right.

I understand dressing better than everyone, but I dont get intentionally looking homeless.

Why do that? Do you have a desire to make things hard for yourself? This sounds psychological to me.

A former manager once told me to always dress 1 step better than the culture of where you are going to work. Its a good rule of thumb.

IMO, drop the bullshit and overdress wherever you go. Thats what I do, and everyone should be just like me.

JensenH

Reaction score
. If the dress code is formal, I show up looking vaguely homeless (think T-Shirt and Shorts), and causes the people to remember me more often.

You can be remembered for the wrong reasons. Trying to stand out does not necessitate dressing like a bum. You can accessorize a professional outfit with personal items such as red socks, a pocket square, or even a bow tie.
bigstar[1].gif

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I'm a consultant as well, you are half way right.

I understand dressing better than everyone, but I dont get intentionally looking homeless.

Why do that? Do you have a desire to make things hard for yourself? This sounds psychological to me.

A former manager once told me to always dress 1 step better than the culture of where you are going to work. Its a good rule of thumb.

IMO, drop the bullshit and overdress wherever you go. Thats what I do, and everyone should be just like me.

If everyone is like you, then you will have to dress two levels above everyone else, but now everyone else is dressing up one level already so you'll be one level above, but then since they are like you, they are going to start dressing even nicer, thus causing you dress one level above that, and being just like you, the people who were once dressing one level below you will start to dress at your level in an attempt to replicate what you have done, causing youPARADOX

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a technical consultant for oil and gas companies. They're fairly conservative, but they tend to only remember if they got along with you, and how the job was done. It's quite possible that the field I'm in is sort of unique in that regard. Part of the difference is in how I carry myself dressed either way. When I show up in shorts/t-shirts, there's a definite feel of "You need me, more than I need you", while I'm in a suit, it's more "this idea is sound". I'm kind of surprised at how difficult it is more me to explain exactly what I mean, though. It's amazing how hard some things are to put into words. *grin*
Do to work for B.P...?...
rolleyes.gif

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was told I was being sent to Wells Fargo to recruit. So I dressed up to talk to some execs about training programs, MBAs, etc. as we normally do. Suddenly as I am looking at my instructions I noticed there is no address. In Minneapolis you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a Wells Fargo office... I check in and find I am going to Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Dred overcomes me as I know I am over dressed and upon arriving feel out of place feeling I am the only one who actually looked in the mirror before leaving. The most dressed up anyone was besides one or two random executives were workers in untucked shirts coupled with jeans and sneakers. I could have come in dirty underwear and few would have noticed.

Con: Looked stuffy, 90 degrees and humid, sweated like a pig outside.
Pro: Out classed them all, executives said "hi" as they passed, my advice was more weighted than those who showed up in their polo/khaki uniforms and was continually called "sir".

inlandisland

Reaction score
In terms of pros and cons I see it this way...

The pro to dressing differently is that it can help you get noticed by the people you want to notice you...

The con can be that if its overdone, you might become remembered as "the guy who's overdressed" which is not good because you really only want the clothes to get you noticed. You want to be remembered for excellence, trustworthyness, competence, etc.

modagg

Reaction score
I would compare the dressing like a bum to being a dick to a pretty girl, who's used to everyone being nice to her because of the way she looks. You come along with a nonchalant attitude and they begin to wonder whats so special about you and want to know more. I would take it one more step further and when they call you to hire you, make them wait three days before you call back to show how busy and wanted you are.
laugh.gif

vincerich

Reaction score
It's not a shock. If you look way off the mark, then people will notice you. The question is whether it's on the positive side or negative side. Wearing a suit in a casual environment can be a good thing and may actually change office culture a bit. Wearing shorts and a t-shirt to a formal event can get you fired or over-looked for big assignments.

I'd say that feeling comfortable is fine. If you happen to feel comfortable in clothes that look better than those of the people in your surroundings, then that's great. However, dressing within the parameters of the dress-code is what's most important.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads