• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southernstyle
I'm just wearing it very casually, I'll tuck it in sometimes. Coming from you, you should know how muggy and hot its about to get down here in NC.
Fair enough. It's best to have it hemmed if you're doing that, shrinking is unreliable and will shrink more then just the length. Usually I only leave shirts untucked with shorts though.

andr3pwd

Reaction score
Does one condition and polish higher-end brand new shoes (that clearly do not appear to need it)? I like the idea of getting conditioner and a nice layer of polish but is it a waste of time?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andr3pwd
Does one condition and polish higher-end brand new shoes (that clearly do not appear to need it)? I like the idea of getting conditioner and a nice layer of polish but is it a waste of time?

Condition yes. Polish, use it only when you need it or you know exactly what you're doing (for example, you want to mirror shine). Use it "just because" may leave undesirable polish built-up.

noclue

Reaction score
not the best picture but should i go with this combo? the tie i am not going to use but a skinny solid black one. The shirt is brown and white checks, the pants are very dark shade of navy blue (almost looks black) and the shoes are black.
20100520-IMG00003-20100520-2328.jpg
thanks for the help in advance.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about the label, "Berry, London - The Finest English Clothes" or the fabric label "Arabelli". These are on a quite well made navy blazer (db, full canvass, brass and enamel buttons)?

Many Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noclue
not the best picture but should i go with this combo? the tie i am not going to use but a skinny solid black one. The shirt is brown and white checks, the pants are very dark shade of navy blue (almost looks black) and the shoes are black. thanks for the help in advance.
Don't mix your blacks and navies, especially with brown in the shirt. Wear brown shoes and belt, and wear a blue tie to emphasize the blue of the trousers.

noclue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Don't mix your blacks and navies, especially with brown in the shirt. Wear brown shoes and belt, and wear a blue tie to emphasize the blue of the trousers.

what if i wear black pants then? i really want to wear the shoes with that shirt. Anyway to work that or would it not work?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noclue
what if i wear black pants then? i really want to wear the shoes with that shirt. Anyway to work that or would it not work?
Black has a caveat that it doesn't go really well with (ie. doesn't complement) several popular colors such as brown and navy (or most other cold or mute dark colors FWIW). So if you want to wear those black shoes with the brown shirt, well, you can do it, it will not be too bad with black pants, just that it's not gonna be a "killer" look or even anything close.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
is that any different from a can of shoe polish? (I have a can of black kiwi shoe polish).

I'll take a look at creams in the shoe isle next time i head to the store, thanks

Originally Posted by andr3pwd
If you are asking these questions, you should go to the pinned "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread in the Men's Clothing forum and follow the link to a thread by Ron Rider on shoe care. It has all the information you need.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
The guideline about mixing navies and blacks does not apply to shoes. Wearing black shoes with a navy jacket or trousers is perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by onix
Black has a caveat that it doesn't go really well with (ie. doesn't complement) several popular colors such as brown and navy (or most other cold or mute dark colors FWIW). So if you want to wear those black shoes with the brown shirt, well, you can do it, it will not be too bad with black pants, just that it's not gonna be a "killer" look or even anything close.
Black trousers, on the other hand, are subject to two general guidelines. You mentioned the first one -- they do not complement other colors well. The second is that they are not a traditional choice of odd trouser material because of their exclusive use in formal or semi-formal wear.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took a shirt in to get altered for the first time yesterday.

When she was pinning me up, she got to the point where she said she couldn't take any more and wanted to put in darts (or do something with sewing the middle where the back pleat is as another option...I couldn't really understand what she was saying there). There was too much fabric in the back but you couldn't really bring it in anymore from the front.

Is there no way to just take more fabric from the back only? I'll see how it is when I get it back tomorrow but I feel like I could have pinned it in such away that there would be less bulk in back (though this was taking in a BB traditional tent...probably adding more taper than a BB slim).

edit:
I am not entirely opposed to darts either but this was a checked shirt (I would let her put them in if it was solid or striped probably).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I took a shirt in to get altered for the first time yesterday.

When she was pinning me up, she got to the point where she said she couldn't take any more and wanted to put in darts (or do something with sewing the middle where the back pleat is as another option...I couldn't really understand what she was saying there). There was too much fabric in the back but you couldn't really bring it in anymore from the front.

Is there no way to just take more fabric from the back only? I'll see how it is when I get it back tomorrow but I feel like I could have pinned it in such away that there would be less bulk in back (though this was taking in a BB traditional tent...probably adding more taper than a BB slim).

edit:
I am not entirely opposed to darts either but this was a checked shirt (I would let her put them in if it was solid or striped probably).

It sounds like you're running up against the limits of shirt alteration. They're three-dimensional objects so you can't just chop an arbitrary amount of material from the back (or side or wherever) of the shirt to slim the fit. Eventually it deforms the shape of the shirt to the point where it just will not work. I'd suggest that for such alterations that affect the fundamental shape of the garment, you expect only modest improvements. Going from a normal BB shirt to slimmer than slim-fit is way beyond modest.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a search to no avail (or my search-fu is off today).

Looking for cedar shoe trees and a shoe stretcher from someone who ships to Canada for something approaching a reasonable rate (I fully understand cedar trees = heavy).

I need a shoe stretcher as it's getting tiring (and expensive) to keep going back to the cobbler to stretch it a bit at a time (I don't want them to go too far). I got a pair of longwings off ebay and didn't notice they were a 10.5B when I need a 10.5D (actually, I need in-between a 10.5B and a 10.5D so buying them a bit small and then stretching seems to be working perfectly). They're almost there width-wise, but could still use it a bit more. And they're pretty much the most awesome pair of shoes I own and I don't want to give them up. And it doesn't hurt to keep a stretcher around the house anyways, they seem to be in the $19-$30 range so why not.

MJPond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Is it possible to shorten a belt?

According to this, yes.

"not many people realize that belts can be altered. If you've lost some weight, take your belt to the shoe repair store, and they can shorten it for you. They do this by removing the buckle, cutting down the buckle end, then re-attaching the buckle. That way, you retain the same number of holes on the pointy end."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads