• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

minervau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Hey fellas. I recently purchased a tailored fit oxford from Land's End. I ordered a 33 sleeve length and I normally wear a 32/33 sleeve in dress shirts. I was thinking a 32 length would be too short. What do you guys think of the sleeve length of this shirt? Thanks.

http://yfrog.com/20img5580vj

http://yfrog.com/fvimg5579j

Looks fine to me in terms of length. How much cuff do you like showing when you were a jacket over the shirt? Depending on how you have your sleeves tailored, that seems like it could show as much as an inch, but that's alright.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imightbechad
I toyed around with that idea, but I balked when trying to figure out different ties for the seersucker.
Unless you're set on bows, check out the linen ties from Howard Yount (SF member chorse123). I have two and they are great summer ties, would be perfect with seersucker.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Unless you're set on bows, check out the linen ties from Howard Yount (SF member chorse123).

I have two and they are great summer ties, would be perfect with seersucker.

A lot of the silk ones look like they'd work pretty wool with seersucker, too.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minervau
Looks fine to me in terms of length. How much cuff do you like showing when you were a jacket over the shirt? Depending on how you have your sleeves tailored, that seems like it could show as much as an inch, but that's alright.

Just tried it on with a suit and about 1/2 inch of cuff is showing, so I guess it's about right.

calcio

Reaction score
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand color Brown Burnished Calf. I've worn them a few times but I have not treated them with anything and need to find out what the best type of products to use are. Cream, Polish, etc. What should I put on now for everyday protection and what products, methods should I use/do for cleaning/polishing?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calcio
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand color Brown Burnished Calf. I've worn them a few times but I have not treated them with anything and need to find out what the best type of products to use are. Cream, Polish, etc. What should I put on now for everyday protection and what products, methods should I use/do for cleaning/polishing?
In the pinned "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread in the Men's Clothing forum, there is a link to a thread by Ron Rider on shoe care. It has all the information you need.

Gewehr

Reaction score
How can I spot differences between a man's checkbook and female checkbook [wallet/cover]?
I'm looking for a leather and slim one, that holds the checks and cards that's all.
This are only carried in jacket am I right?

Thanks.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Is it okay to iron/steam a cashmere sport coat? I recently got one in the mail and the sleeves are wrinkled. I am scared to iron it out of fear of causing damage.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Is it okay to iron/steam a cashmere sport coat? I recently got one in the mail and the sleeves are wrinkled. I am scared to iron it out of fear of causing damage.

No it is not ok. Hang the coat up and let the fabric relax.

If you doubt this advice do a SF search for "jeffreyd" and steam and you'll find threads talking about the damage you can do by ironing a jacket. Also, do not steam the jacket in the bathroom.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
http://tinyurl.com/cjzr2s
smile.gif
I like mine better, but yours is quite good.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
No it is not ok. Hang the coat up and let the fabric relax.

If you doubt this advice do a SF search for "jeffreyd" and steam and you'll find threads talking about the damage you can do by ironing a jacket. Also, do not steam the jacket in the bathroom.

Thanks for the reply!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads