Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

What sort(s) of pants would work well with this shirt? [​IMG] (click picture for link to details)

2. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Hey fellas. I recently purchased a tailored fit oxford from Land's End. I ordered a 33 sleeve length and I normally wear a 32/33 sleeve in dress shirts. I was thinking a 32 length would be too short. What do you guys think of the sleeve length of this shirt? Thanks. http://yfrog.com/20img5580vj http://yfrog.com/fvimg5579j

3. minervau

minervau Senior member

Hey fellas. I recently purchased a tailored fit oxford from Land's End. I ordered a 33 sleeve length and I normally wear a 32/33 sleeve in dress shirts. I was thinking a 32 length would be too short. What do you guys think of the sleeve length of this shirt? Thanks.

http://yfrog.com/20img5580vj

http://yfrog.com/fvimg5579j

Looks fine to me in terms of length. How much cuff do you like showing when you were a jacket over the shirt? Depending on how you have your sleeves tailored, that seems like it could show as much as an inch, but that's alright.

4. binge

binge Senior member

I toyed around with that idea, but I balked when trying to figure out different ties for the seersucker.
    Unless you're set on bows, check out the linen ties from Howard Yount (SF member chorse123). I have two and they are great summer ties, would be perfect with seersucker.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Unless you're set on bows, check out the linen ties from Howard Yount (SF member chorse123).

I have two and they are great summer ties, would be perfect with seersucker.

A lot of the silk ones look like they'd work pretty wool with seersucker, too.

6. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Looks fine to me in terms of length. How much cuff do you like showing when you were a jacket over the shirt? Depending on how you have your sleeves tailored, that seems like it could show as much as an inch, but that's alright.

Just tried it on with a suit and about 1/2 inch of cuff is showing, so I guess it's about right.

7. calcio

calcio Member

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand color Brown Burnished Calf. I've worn them a few times but I have not treated them with anything and need to find out what the best type of products to use are. Cream, Polish, etc. What should I put on now for everyday protection and what products, methods should I use/do for cleaning/polishing?

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand color Brown Burnished Calf. I've worn them a few times but I have not treated them with anything and need to find out what the best type of products to use are. Cream, Polish, etc. What should I put on now for everyday protection and what products, methods should I use/do for cleaning/polishing?
    In the pinned "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread in the Men's Clothing forum, there is a link to a thread by Ron Rider on shoe care. It has all the information you need.

9. Gewehr

Gewehr Senior member

How can I spot differences between a man's checkbook and female checkbook [wallet/cover]?
    I'm looking for a leather and slim one, that holds the checks and cards that's all.
    This are only carried in jacket am I right?

Thanks.

10. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

Is it okay to iron/steam a cashmere sport coat? I recently got one in the mail and the sleeves are wrinkled. I am scared to iron it out of fear of causing damage.

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Is it okay to iron/steam a cashmere sport coat? I recently got one in the mail and the sleeves are wrinkled. I am scared to iron it out of fear of causing damage.
    ironing cashmere

12. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

No it is not ok. Hang the coat up and let the fabric relax.

If you doubt this advice do a SF search for "jeffreyd" and steam and you'll find threads talking about the damage you can do by ironing a jacket. Also, do not steam the jacket in the bathroom.

13. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

http://tinyurl.com/cjzr2s
    [​IMG] I like mine better, but yours is quite good.

15. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

No it is not ok. Hang the coat up and let the fabric relax.

If you doubt this advice do a SF search for "jeffreyd" and steam and you'll find threads talking about the damage you can do by ironing a jacket. Also, do not steam the jacket in the bathroom.

Thanks for the reply!