• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Training Day is chock-full of cop cliches, but i oh so looooove that movie. Ive watched it a hundred times and it still entertains me. i dont know, something about it is always fresh.

especially the scene where Denzel calls up his team and they meet at the parking garage roof. when dr dre says "youre a long way from starbucks. stay out of our way, this is for the big dawgs" and then they pan to the other guy he spits on the ground. so funny but so cool i love that movie.
also all the LA gangsters who act so cliche when they rolled up in to their neighborhood.
and the exclamation "BLAST DEM FOOLS!" is throughout the movie. so cliche.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
The dumbest movie cliche:
White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
White man gets in trouble and is saved by female member of native population
White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
White man's bosses continue with plans for destroying native population
Bosses begin to destroy native population.
Truth comes out that white man knew the whole time.
White man is exiled from native population.
White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
White man leads native population against his own population.
Native population is triumphant against a much more advanced white population.
Happily ever after.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
White man is sent on mission to take over land or destroy a native population (always for money).
White man becomes accepted by most of the native population except for their head leader and the female member's betrothed.
White man struggles with being in the native population and knowing he is supposed to get rid of them or destroy them.
White man makes a daring comeback to impress native population and get them on their side.
Happily ever after.

sounds like a pretty good rough draft screenplay. pretty epic. you should develop this and send it to hollywood. i'd be the first in line to see something like this!!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I used to watch Pochahantas and Ferngully with the RubeBabes when they were little. Nice little movie.

EdenResident

Reaction score
-Cop wakes up from his nightmare and immediately grabs his gun at bedside. Cop then shows that it's loaded to indicate what a grim, violent world he's living in.
-Cop then goes brush his teeth, where he looks at his rugged, sleep-deprived self in the mirror.
-Cop keeps having nightmarish visions about that one time when his bravado causes the death of a hostage, typically a little girl.
-Cop turns in his badge and gun to the authority so he can go after the criminal personally.
-Cop finally has the criminal at gun point. His friend (probably another cop) talks him out of pulling the trigger. As he lowers his gun, the jerk does something stupid to provoke him. Cop shoots the dumbass dead.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
--Cop finally has the criminal at gun point. His friend (probably another cop) talks him out of pulling the trigger. As he lowers his gun, the jerk does something stupid to provoke him. Cop shoots the dumbass dead.

the cliche cop 'twist' - to find out that the criminal is your best friend cop all along after all.
facepalm.gif

steviecakes

Reaction score
Happily ever after.

someone should do this. except with aliens. and 3D. yeah
bounce2.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a shipwrecked person swims to shore, he must immediately sleep the moment he makes it to the beach.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
when a rain of bullets from automatic rifles from goons seems to miss the good guys, and yet it only takes one shot from a pistol to kill each of them.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
This thread is awesome. I haven't read the middle pages yet, so if this is covered ground, please forgive me.

I have nothing against marsupialed people. In fact, I'm that guy that tells people not to make marsupialed people jokes in front of me. I think it's appalling.

However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of marsupials. Why the hell does every marsupialed kid in a movie have to be some kind of saint?

Forrest Gump
Green Mile
I am Sam

Same with most other handicapped people (etc. wheelchair-bound people, who have strangely been cast as villains more than you would normally think).

I also hate the "older black male who offers guilt-ridden white folks atonement." Ridiculously paternalistic. Found in almost every Morgan Freeman movie ever made (although he's still a kickass actor) and kicked up to dizzying heights in Bagger Vance.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Happily ever after.

Don't tell Jon. This is his ethos.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an extension of all the gun talk:

- Guy with gun fires off half a dozen mags of rounds, only to immediately capture target and press the gun against the head/skin of the target. Somehow the target is completely immune to the fact that the barrel of said gun would be blazing hot.

Originally Posted by NorCal
Cocking a gun five ******* times for effect. e.g. the hero loads his gun, cock, the hero leaves to get into the action, cock, the hero encounters action, cock, the hero shows he means biznatch, cock.

+1,000

Movie guns are remarkably noisy in general. The slightest movement makes them click and rattle. If any of my guns sounded like that I'd be very, very concerned.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
However, death row, and prisons in general, are chock full of marsupials. Why the hell does every marsupialed kid in a movie have to be some kind of saint?

Forrest Gump
Green Mile
I am Sam

Green Mile actually somehow managed to be both. It had a marsupial in prison on death row, yet he was a saint.

v0rtex

Reaction score
As I read this thread I kept thinking about the film that would result if you tried to make a film containing every single one of these cliches... awesome, terrible, or so terrible it becomes awesome?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads