1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willpower, May 8, 2010.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

- When the male lead has a fever and a female love interest swabs his face with a washcloth while he lies unconscious in bed.

- When characters are eating Chinese food right out of the to-go containers with chopsticks

- Two people at the beginning of a movie hate each other. They both go through a variety of experiences. At the end of the movie they're best friends or lovers.

- Everybody thinks she's crazy. We the audience know she isn't crazy. She knows she isn't crazy. The rest of the movie consists of her convincing the other skeptical characters of her sanity. At the end, everybody realizes she isn't crazy.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

What's wrong with the second?

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

What's wrong with the second?

It's an overused time waster that more often than not doesn't move the plot along.

[​IMG]

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I hate it when people hide behind a car door to escape gunfire. Good way to get yourself killed.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^ Mythbusters FTW

I hate when people "bond" and then keep in touch after going through some kind of carnage or hostage situation.

6. willpower

willpower Senior member

When a phone call disrupts sex

7. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

I hate it when people hide behind a car door to escape gunfire. Good way to get yourself killed.

It could be effective, if the person who is shooting at you believes that car doors stop bullets.

8. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

When someone gets shot and the first thing everyone is worried about is removing the bullet.

9. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Senior member

It's an overused time waster that more often than not doesn't move the plot along.

I don't know if it damages the plot, but I fucking hate this too. I never knew it till you pointed it out. Thank you.

P.S. This thread would be a whole lot cooler if y'all would give examples of movies that invoke the clichÃ[​IMG]s you hate.

10. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

any cop movie where the lead has a 'burned out, I don't give a fuck' coolness about them.

any movie containing the line "let's do this" or any variation thereof.

Gangster movies in which a character finds it hysterically funny retelling war stories featuring violent acts.

Movies where a thug points a gun turned on it's side.

Any movie about someone who is autistic/retarded.

Criminals who come out of retirement for one final 'score of a lifetime'

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Gangster movies in which a character finds it hysterically funny retelling war stories featuring violent acts.

Rather ironic being posted here on a forum where we often sit around retelling war stories of sartorial or sexual conquests.

12. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

any movie containing the line "let's do this" or any variation thereof.
    Basically any phone call between two baddies on 24: "Is the bomb ready yet?" "It will be ready soon!" "See to it that it is." "OH THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP DER DER DER!!!!1" Also, any movie where the female lead say "Be careful!" OH THANK YOU FOR THE HELFUL ADVICE BISH! Also, female characters who are suddenly possessed of the need to talk about feelings in the face of imminent catastrophe.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Pretty sure it's been posted before.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

How about how computers in the movie/tv universe always have some incredibly pointless and needlessly complicated user interface.

Esp. if they are supposedly a "hacker".

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

How about how computers in the movie/tv universe always have some incredibly pointless and needlessly complicated user interface.

How about when they use huge 1" fonts for everything?

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

How about when they use huge 1" fonts for everything?

What do you mean?

17. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Crawling through airducts or crawling into an air vent. I know I'm suppose to suspend belief when I watch a movie but at least be somewhat realistic.

18. Psyren

Psyren Senior member

Play video games by mashing the shit out of the controller.
    "Hackers" in movies that just randomly tap the keyboard without ever using the mouse.

That's the only ones worth mentioning.

19. Oski

Oski Senior member

Black guy always dying first in horror films.

20. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

villians explaining their diabolical scheme while the hero/heroine is immobilized. i would love for the antaganist to kill the protaganist outright and be done with it. that would be a plot twist

theres a time bomb it has to be disarmed, omg which wire do i pull. i hate that shit.