• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
It's an old season model and probably almost impossible to find nowadays. Retail was "only" about 300€/$440 back then, due to the fact that it's "only" a herringbone pattern material with a minimal leather finish, while a full leather bag by NDC, depending on size, will cost at least twice-, if not three times as much. To be honest, there a probably hundrets of labels which offer comparable bags, though. Nothing we haven't seen before...

+1. It's a nice bag posted, but this style is fairly classic. In fact, on Yoox now, there's a very similar bag in the men's Luggage/Briefcase section (I believe from Sartoria Italiana.)

It's a fairly standard boston/duffle style, though the individual details, patterns, fabric, etc. will be different depending on brand. Nevertheless, nice bag and thanks for the pics!

Can you give us a review of NDC (using the format on the first pages?) I've got only very passing knowledge of the brand, so I can't really do the review myself.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
I picked a Want les Essentials black De Gaule and a tan Trudeau from ebay UK for about 170 GBP each (see previous posts in this thread). I decided to keep both, even if I do not need them for the moment. The seller has at the moment this black De Gaulle, international shipping available, bidding starts at 165 GBP.

Thanks for the update. Yeah, keep them both - you got a good deal on them, and Want bags should last you a while. That ebay seller is willing to ship internationally. However, the postage is prohibitory - they quoted me 95 pounds for the US. If you win with the opening bid, it may still be worth it depending on the item. If anyone cares to proxy let me know!
smile.gif

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
+1. It's a nice bag posted, but this style is fairly classic. In fact, on Yoox now, there's a very similar bag in the men's Luggage/Briefcase section (I believe from Sartoria Italiana.)

It's a fairly standard boston/duffle style, though the individual details, patterns, fabric, etc. will be different depending on brand. Nevertheless, nice bag and thanks for the pics!

Can you give us a review of NDC (using the format on the first pages?) I've got only very passing knowledge of the brand, so I can't really do the review myself.

This way -> http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=174803

=)

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
Thanks for the update. Yeah, keep them both - you got a good deal on them, and Want bags should last you a while. That ebay seller is willing to ship internationally. However, the postage is prohibitory - they quoted me 95 pounds for the US. If you win with the opening bid, it may still be worth it depending on the item. If anyone cares to proxy let me know!
smile.gif

I'm surprised the shipping is so expensive to US.

I bought 5 or 6 items from the ebay seller pure_luxuryculture. The Bamford sweaters and the small leather items (Bill Amberg, Bamford) were sent via Royal Mail (shipping less than 10 GBP to Switzerland) and the two bags via DHL (a bit more expensive, £12.00 to Switzerland). Ask for Royal Mail shipping of possible.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
I'm surprised the shipping is so expensive to US.

I bought 5 or 6 items from the ebay seller pure_luxuryculture. The Bamford sweaters and the small leather items (Bill Amberg, Bamford) were sent via Royal Mail (shipping less than 10 GBP to Switzerland) and the two bags via DHL (a bit more expensive, £12.00 to Switzerland). Ask for Royal Mail shipping of possible.

I did, but they said no when I inquired about a smaller item (they initially quoted me 95 quid for a leather duffle). Here's what they said about it:

"Unfortunately Paypal only works through Parcelforce whic is our system this end P&P tracked and insured 3 day delivery is £ 75. We have no objection to you sending your own courier to collect from us once paid for, also we could send you both bags i.e one inside the other for £100"

facepalm.gif

I didn't know Paypal only worked through certain carriers? Doesn't make sense.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I posted a pic or two of Celine's Spring, Summer, and Fall collection coming out, with Phoebe Philo at the helm. I'll try and find more pics, as she's really made a nice, simple, fairly unisex collection of totes (especially) that are really quite nice. Technically, Celine doesn't have mens offerings, but I think a lot of these are definitely do-able. Unfortunately, they are ridiculously overpriced, but the quality is quite good for a major "brand." www.celine.com

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Some of Bottega Veneta's exotic S/S '10 men's bags:

"Cigar" Croc Fume Shopper $30,000
"Delft Blue" Croc Lave Tote $27,700
Ostrich duffle in "Pourpre" & "Cigar" $6,500

There's also a full range of hardsided croc luggage that ranges from $25-52K

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^BV Croc stuff is always so lovely... but at $30k, I'll just have to look through the window.
lol8[1].gif
Of the "major" fashion brands, though, if I were to drop the cash, it would probably be one from BV. Others (Gucci, Prada, etc.) tend to be a little too trendy/easily dated, but the BV stuff has a very timeless quality about it. That being said, a croc Hermes HAC would trump them all. I see lots of Croc hermes every time I'm in tokyo and it is always a drool-inducing experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads