1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rach you bump into any of these during your time in Japan? I know they are hiding behind the glass somewhere!
    I didn't see that particular bag... but BP has never impressed me much in person. The styling is GREAT and looks lovely on the runway, but the quality for the price (overall) has never impressed me, even in comparison to the other major brands. $2400 for mid-grade calf and YKK zippers just doesn't rock my world. [​IMG] Anyway, as promised, here is a pic of the Porter work bag I picked up. Fabric/textile outer with vachetta trim. Lots of space inside and pockets. Perfect size for documents, notebooks, computer, etc. Also has a shoulder strap that can attach at the back. [​IMG] [​IMG] And a cheap-y Uniqlo I picked up, as I liked the size and color. Color is darker than it looks in the pic; it is the same sort of gray/blue used on the runway this past season (especially by LV for the Taiga runway bags.) [​IMG]

2. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Senior member

Diggin' the Uniqlo Rach; is it PU or leather?

I've been using my logo-tastic black Gucci tote for school; my Prada messenger doesn't accomodate A4s and it's simply too hot to break out any of the leathers.

3. rach2jlc

Diggin' the Uniqlo Rach; is it PU or leather? I've been using my logo-tastic black Gucci tote for school; my Prada messenger doesn't accomodate A4s and it's simply too hot to break out any of the leathers.
    It's Uniqlo's "Neo Leather," which is just a fancy name for PU, though in the spectrum of pleathers, Uniqlos is fairly decent. It has a lightweight, soft feel, and appears to hold up fairly well, and best of all, no logos anywhere outside or inside. I'll take a few better pics in the morning.

4. onion

onion Senior member

These look really nice: http://www.mismo.dk/

I like their leather tote (with the adjustable straps) and "Hercules" weekender in black (with the lock on the side to close/expand the bag) the best. No idea what prices are like, since apparently no one online stocks those 2 designs, nor does anyone stock their leather bags in general. Hell, I can't even find a picture of them to post. [​IMG]

Edit: Prices are on their site. Weekender is 1000 Euro, and the tote is 500 Euro.

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

rach how many bags do you own and how do you manage to use them all effectively? christ

6. SeckBoy

SeckBoy Well-Known Member

I want to see more pictures of the Helmut Lang leg pouch that got posted in WAYWT on sufu. I think there was one on ebay pretty soon after that too.

7. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior member

These look really nice: http://www.mismo.dk/

I like their leather tote (with the adjustable straps) and "Hercules" weekender in black (with the lock on the side to close/expand the bag) the best. No idea what prices are like, since apparently no one online stocks those 2 designs, nor does anyone stock their leather bags in general. Hell, I can't even find a picture of them to post. [​IMG]

Edit: Prices are on their site. Weekender is 1000 Euro, and the tote is 500 Euro.

Nitty Gritty stock them (basic line here), so too do Oki-Ni.

This is probably my favourite bag of theirs:
    http://lineageofinfluence.wordpress....s-weekend-bag/

8. rach2jlc

rach how many bags do you own and how do you manage to use them all effectively? christ

I have a strict personal policy of getting rid of something I don't use much if I get something new. So, at any one time, I only have about ten bags. More than that, it gets impossible to find places to keep them, much less use them. So, right now, I have a few messenger/shoulder bags, a few totes, a business bag or two, a duffle/suitcase, etc.

9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

10. rach2jlc

You should give the ones you get sick of to me. I'm also shocked someone like you would buy a PU bag haha
    Haha; there is nothing wrong with PU, especially as an extra bag or something to use for work/or if the weather is iffy. It doesn't tend to age well, and over time looks awful, so a daily use or primary bag is probably not desirable. BUT, it only takes one time of getting your full leather, $2800 lambskin whatever nasty wet marks all over it, and you'll be happy PU, nylon, and other synthetics exist. As for your bag, I saw somebody carrying it last week in Harajuku (or a variation of it, as I recall it had slightly more color... but the same coin-motif)! I think it totally fits your style. When you get it, take pics of you wearing it! Edit: 50,000 yen... I wish you had bought the bag about a year or two ago. With the current exchange rate, and whatever proxy costs... how much did it end up costing? There was a time not long ago that 50,000 yen was about $450... now it is about $18,000 (haha)

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

From your advice, maybe I'll hang onto the PU bag I unknowingly bought as a bad-weather bag ... haha. Yeah, I know, the yen sucks right now. It cost me about $668 USD after fees etc. [​IMG] Money is fleeting, I try not to get too bent up about it! Of course I could sit here all day complaining about how much cheaper all the stuff I'm buying would be two years ago, but it's not two years ago, it's today [​IMG]

12. Yardsale

Yardsale Senior member

13. rach2jlc

From your advice, maybe I'll hang onto the PU bag I unknowingly bought as a bad-weather bag ... haha. Yeah, I know, the yen sucks right now. It cost me about $668 USD after fees etc. [​IMG] Money is fleeting, I try not to get too bent up about it! Of course I could sit here all day complaining about how much cheaper all the stuff I'm buying would be two years ago, but it's not two years ago, it's today [​IMG]
    Eh, $668 isn't so bad, especially if you really love the bag. As for PU and anything else, I think it is bad policy to dismiss a bag outright, without seeing it or trying it in person. So, regardless of material, if you like the color/size/price, go for it. I tend not to discriminate. As well, synthetics are much better than they used to be (see Stella McCartney, for example, who doesn't use leather for vegetarian reasons.)

14. rach2jlc

PSA Trussardi 1911 fans... Yoox is on markdown! Given that the brand isn't well known... some of these may even make it to the "final" clearance. In any case, prices are good as is... mostly 75% off retail or so. The $300~range bags were probably $1100-1200 retail, and the $500~range bags were $1500-1800 during the season. Quality is very good for a major brand, and the styling is fairly simple/subtle. The canvas/leather duffle is especially nice... http://www1.yoox.com/searchresult.as...acromicro_yoox Half-off on this year's spring/summer items on the Trussardi website: http://www.shop.trussardi1911.com/

15. MS007

MS007 Senior member

16. rach2jlc

Can someone identify the briefacses on the right for me? http://newgrass.files.wordpress.com/...opening-3.jpg?
    Sort of looks like Billy Kirk, but others may chime in... as my only familiarity with that brand has been on forum pics provided here. BUT, hopefully someone else can clarify. Here are a few pics of a bag I picked up during the sales: SS09 CoSTUME NATIONAL elephant gray leather tote. It also came in a bright blue, but I thought the gray was more versatile. It's in a very soft, treated calf. I'm curious how it will age; it seems to be coated, and I hope it doesnt become "crinkly." [​IMG] [​IMG] Blue one: [​IMG]

17. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

^ Thanks for posting - it's very you!

18. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Meanwhile I mailed Red Wing Amsterdam (where the picture is from) and the bags are made by royal republiq, a relatively new danish brand. Their stuff looks very nice and prices are almost suspiciously good. I don`t know if it is due to them being new and trying to establish a market or if the leather quality is worse than it looks like. We'll see as I might order one of their bags this fall. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. rach2jlc

^ Thanks for posting - it's very you!

Thanks! After years of tons of black backs, I realized, "I don't really wear black, so why do I keep getting black bags?" Gray is my new favorite... goes with everything, You can wear it with black, you can wear it with colors, white, etc.

Blues, grays, whites, etc. I am enjoying a lot more now; black I am slowly trying to get away from.

20. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Meanwhile I mailed Red Wing Amsterdam (where the picture is from) and the bags are made by royal republiq, a relatively new danish brand. Their stuff looks very nice and prices are almost suspiciously good. I don`t know if it is due to them being new and trying to establish a market or if the leather quality is worse than it looks like. We'll see as I might order one of their bags this fall.
    Thanks for posting about Royal Republiq. I had forgotten about them. The way the handles are stitched to the bag seems odd to me, but it's all in the eye of the beholder. The prices are indeed good - hope the leather is nice!
    Thanks! After years of tons of black backs, I realized, "I don't really wear black, so why do I keep getting black bags?" Gray is my new favorite... goes with everything, You can wear it with black, you can wear it with colors, white, etc. Blues, grays, whites, etc. I am enjoying a lot more now; black I am slowly trying to get away from.
    Same here. I used to wear black trousers a lot but now I am enjoying a lot more grays and blues. I still can't get away from black leather bags and shoes though - I guess it's the practicality...e.g. I don't have to worry so much about rain and stains....