1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Royal Republiq bag reminds me somewhat of the CoSTUME NATIONAL Bags they made for SS09.

2. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

The Royal Republiq bag reminds me somewhat of the CoSTUME NATIONAL Bag they have on markdown on Yoox now. I remember that it's from SS09, and I think the retail was in the $1600 range. So, it's a good deal if you like the color (unfortunately, I'm not crazy about terracotta brown.)

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/COSTUM...H/sts/sr_men80

Yeah, I was tempted when they had a black one in stock but it doesn't appear the shoulder strap is adjustable....a dealbreaker for me.

3. rach2jlc

Yeah, I was tempted when they had a black one in stock but it doesn't appear the shoulder strap is adjustable....a dealbreaker for me.
    For a brief, I tend not to use the shoulder strap, but you're right... I wonder why on a bag of that retail they wouldn't make it adjustable? It would be pretty simple; they'd just have to have punched a few holes. Anyway, I liked the SS09 season because lots of designers did a lot with washed, muted grays, browns, etc. Not just CN (but everybody from LV to Valentino). Here are a few more pics of CN bags from that season (I also picked up the gray brief below): [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ldivine

ldivine Active Member

I really like the CN '09 collection as well. I picked up the messenger bag in green (really wanted the light tan color but hemmed and hawed until someone beat me to it). $1600 retail and paid just over $200. It really is beautiful in person and the color is great. I get so tired of seeing plain black and brown bags everywhere (gotta love Washington, DC).

My only complaint is the non adjustable shoulder strap. It's a very long strap which just doesn't work all that well.
    [​IMG]

5. rach2jlc

I really like the CN '09 collection as well. I picked up the messenger bag in green (really wanted the light tan color but hemmed and hawed until someone beat me to it). $1600 retail and paid just over $200. It really is beautiful in person and the color is great. I get so tired of seeing plain black and brown bags everywhere (gotta love Washington, DC). My only complaint is the non adjustable shoulder strap. It's a very long strap which just doesn't work all that well.
    Thanks for posting! I like the green a lot; as you said, it's still useable, but different than the standard black/brown. How is the size? I have seen two different sets of measurements and wasn't sure which was correct.

6. ldivine

ldivine Active Member

Thanks! It was such a steal I couldn't pass it up.

These are accurate dimensions: Depth: 4.3 Inches, Height: 12.1 Inches, Length of strap: 17.6 Inches, Width: 17.2 Inches.

It's a fairly large bag but honestly it's a great size for carrying a laptop, gym clothes or a sweater, waterbottle, + anything else you could want. If only the strap weren't so darn long it would help balance the weight better.

I really love the tote-style one you grabbed, especially in that color.

7. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Thanks! It was such a steal I couldn't pass it up.

These are accurate dimensions: Depth: 4.3 Inches, Height: 12.1 Inches, Length of strap: 17.6 Inches, Width: 17.2 Inches.

It's a fairly large bag but honestly it's a great size for carrying a laptop, gym clothes or a sweater, waterbottle, + anything else you could want. If only the strap weren't so darn long it would help balance the weight better.

I really love the tote-style one you grabbed, especially in that color.

How long is the shoulder strap then?

Just to follow up on a brand that people talked about a while ago - Hlaska. Did anyone buy their bags and if so what's the feedback? Like I said I wasn't too keen on them because they seemed really stiff in the store but maybe after some usage they'd become a bit softer. They are having a mini sale - just FYI for those who might be interested.

8. rach2jlc

Thanks! It was such a steal I couldn't pass it up. These are accurate dimensions: Depth: 4.3 Inches, Height: 12.1 Inches, Length of strap: 17.6 Inches, Width: 17.2 Inches.
    Thanks for the measurements; that's what I thought. There is also a guy on Ebay selling several items from that collection, and he posted the measurements at 15X18, which seemed far too large to be accurate. Oh well, typical crappy ebay "who knows what you're getting!" misinformation. As for the strap, it looks like you could have somebody press a few extra holes into the strap? I wonder; but, as you said, if the strap is too long, it doesn't make much sense. Perhaps a shoe repair shop, or a leather goods shop. It sort of looks like something you could even do yourself with a decent hole punch.

9. rach2jlc

Anybody can do a review of Moore & Giles? They appear to be an American leather maker, but I'd never heard of them until very recently. Some nice items, though I have no experience with the quality. Leathers look decent, but the lining and hardware at first glance makes me wonder, especially at their price point (which is reasonable if the quality is there, but still fairly steep.) http://www.mooreandgilesinc.com/

10. rach2jlc

Probably the first time I've ever posted RL on this site, but the PL and top-tier bags often are quite nice, though very pricey at full retail. I really like this one, and also the "ricky" (IIRC) style. They seem very unique, but also sort of with a hint of vintage, Hermes HAC styling. Anybody tried them first hand and can comment? For $3400 and $2200 (respectively), they had better be perfect. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Mr.Chen

Mr.Chen Member

^^ Love the green one... but 2200? give me a break

12. Mr.Chen

Mr.Chen Member

13. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Yeah, even now it's on sale for $1199, it's still ridiculous.

Desi might like this one!

[​IMG]
    http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/TRUSSA...W/sts/sr_men80

I like this one by Ally Capellino but as usual I can't afford it!

[​IMG]

14. rach2jlc

Exactly... sometimes RL pricing is a bit strange. And, at $3400, and I'm not so sure I like it better than the similarly priced LV GM Suhali (goatskin) Lockit, which is nearly the same size, but a little more minimal/simple (it also comes in the same brown as the RL above): [​IMG]

15. entrero

entrero Senior member

>>women>city bags&briefcases>suhali leather

Cross-dressing lately? [​IMG]

16. rach2jlc

Cross-dressing lately? [​IMG]
    Look at the size and layout... it's a unisex bag. Who cares where/how it's marketed or which "section" LV happens to stick it on their website? If you hunky hunky men want your clunky Saddlebacks and Filsons, which have all the refinement of a Log Wagon, that's fine and dandy; I'm not discriminating. Just leave the rest of us our "purses" without the puerile douchebag comments.

1 person likes this.
  17. hamzilla

hamzilla Member

This bag is from RLPL. I like this color but the only color available is black. What are you guy think? The bag is big enough to fit 15'' laptop. Oh the price is 150 bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nobunny

Nobunny Well-Known Member

Not the dopest bag I've seen, but for that price you should kop. Where are you getting it at that price? Would have thought it would cost at least ten times as much considering it's RLPL.

My manbag ballin hasn't been all that this year. Only kopped a brown leather prorsum bag at a heavily reduced price. Am kinda digging this, even though it's insane as fuck. Can anyone ID it or give me some names of people who make similar designs? Stumbled across some italian brand that was big on camo shit some time ago, but can't find them again.

[​IMG]

19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Look at the size and layout... it's a unisex bag. Who cares where/how it's marketed or which "section" LV happens to stick it on their website? If you hunky hunky men want your clunky Saddlebacks and Filsons, which have all the refinement of a Log Wagon, that's fine and dandy; I'm not discriminating.

Just leave the rest of us our "purses" without the puerile douchebag comments.

hahahaha you're the best

20. rach2jlc

Not the dopest bag I've seen, but for that price you should kop. Where are you getting it at that price? Would have thought it would cost at least ten times as much considering it's RLPL. My manbag ballin hasn't been all that this year. Only kopped a brown leather prorsum bag at a heavily reduced price. Am kinda digging this, even though it's insane as fuck. Can anyone ID it or give me some names of people who make similar designs? Stumbled across some italian brand that was big on camo shit some time ago, but can't find them again.
    Many designers are doing camo now, but Trussardi 1911 was the first to do it in recent seasons, and others (like Prada) have copied it. edit: that actual bag you posted isn't Trussardi, I don't think... and I'm not sure which one that is. HOWEVER, many brands have copied Trussardi after they did it in 08 or so.