• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

MJPond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Chinos are not office pants. Try some wool pants. As for shoes, brown bluchers would be a good start.
Then someone should alert vox that he was improperly dressed for work here (not to mention countless others that have posted on WAYWRN lately). And I do have wool and linen trousers in addition to chinos, but I was asking about colors.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJPond
I'm starting to build a business casual wardrobe (sometimes a sportcoat, sometimes not, no ties). I already have several pairs of tan/khaki trousers and chinos. What are the next two most essential colors of pants to get? Also, I have no decent shoes at the moment. What would be the two most essential and versatile pairs of shoes to start my wardrobe?

Charcoal and medium gray are the most versatile colors for business casual trousers--or really trousers in general.

As for shoes--go with black and brown cap toe bluchers in calf rather than corrected grain--and invest in quality. Brooks Brothers Peal and Co collection is at a nice price point right now with the F&F sale going on. Otherwise try Allen Edmonds, particularly factory seconds from one of their outlet stores. You can call and order over the phone--most provide exceptional service. You could also go with a black calf toe, and a brown slip-on (driving mocs or penny's), if your office is more casual.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then someone should alert vox that he was improperly dressed for work here (not to mention countless others that have posted on WAYWRN lately). And I do have wool and linen trousers in addition to chinos, but I was asking about colors.

Those are cuffed Borrellis, not what usually comes to mind when one hears chinos. And I second the suggestion of charcoal and mid-grey. What color are your sportcoats?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dark brown and a tan. Looking to add navy and gray before long.

You may want to look for something in taupe or a muted shade of green/olive for those.

Flex

Reaction score
Where can I find some PLAIN/NON GRAPHIC shirts that fit like this: http://tengossip.com/wp-content/uplo...yer01_john.jpg http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Cq7pnO1Ger0/s I had bought some classic fit tees from old navy thinking i might get a look but they are too long (i wear a Large) and at the top they fit like an athletic fit. Overall I want them to look like the fit above but where they just come down above the zipper area. Yeah i go to the gym but I want some slack on my shirts like in the pics above. What kind of fit or size should I aim for? I'm 5'9 if that helps.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flex
Where can I find some PLAIN/NON GRAPHIC shirts that fit like this:

http://tengossip.com/wp-content/uplo...yer01_john.jpg

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Cq7pnO1Ger0/s

I had bought some classic fit tees from old navy thinking i might get a look but they are too long (i wear a Large) and at the top they fit like an athletic fit. Overall I want them to look like the fit above but where they just come down above the zipper area. Yeah i go to the gym but I want some slack on my shirts like in the pics above. What kind of fit or size should I aim for? I'm 5'9 if that helps.

You may have better luck posting this question in Streetwear & Denim.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Then someone should alert vox that he was improperly dressed for work

laugh.gif

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
What kind of belt is appropriate to wear with seersucker trousers and white bucks?
I wear surcingle belts with seersucker trousers - I'm no authority, but I think they look good together. White leather belts make me think of Cousin Eddie and Pat Boone.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should a small tie-bar and/or white pocket square (to match the obligatory white shirt) be worn to a standard business interview?

minervau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
Should a small tie-bar and/or white pocket square (to match the obligatory white shirt) be worn to a standard business interview?

Small tie-bar sounds fine, but pocket square -- almost certainly a no-no.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember an excellent pictorial post by Voxsartoria disucssing different lapel stiching types. Does anyone know where this can be found?

Thanks

Holyrain

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Newbie here with a newbie question; I recently purchased a Burberry London wool coat from a reputable importer/retailer in Thailand (LBG) at a high end shopping mall in Bangkok (Emporium). As advertised, their Burberry, Escada and La Perla products were 30-80% off. The coat itself looks and fits well, the wool has a nice sheen to it and is very soft to the touch (making me wonder if it is actually cashmere), the lining is the black Nova check, perfectly symmetrical and fitting. However, upon bringing it back home I a few red flags came up.

1) The coat was a bit wrinkled, so I had them steam iron it before picking it up from the store later on that day. When they gave it back to me, the original tags had been cut off and they didnt put them in the bag. Thus I have no idea what style number the coat is.

2) On the composition label it says 100% wool exterior, 100% viscose lining and 100% fur collar!!! Nowhere can I see fur on the coat, although the material under the collar is different than the rest of the coat (stiffer)

3) The rest of the labelling, buttons seem ok. The serial number on the coat is ITLARSRL 15FIL. Underneath the serial# it says 'St. Alban's House 18-22 Haymarket London...'

My question is how can I verify what product/style number the serial number is? Is there an explanation as to the 100% fur collar label? Is it possibly a factory error (thus the discount) or more likely that it's a knockoff that slipped through LBG (int or unint) to the consumer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads