• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

Gattopardo

Reaction score
Today was 2k day: 6:52.3

A little disappointing as I was on pace to just nip under 6:50 until the last 500m, when I just couldn't take the rate up to sprint it out and my legs lost the battle against lactate. Still, faster than last month's 6:55.x, so I'll take that.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night: 4 x 1500m, focusing on form. I need to stop overcompressing at the catch. Splits were 1:53, 1:53, 1:52, 1:51.

This morning:
Run 1.5 miles
20 mins. of stairs
15 min. weight circuit (squats, deads, bench pulls, bent rows, weighted core work, etc.)
20 mins. stairs
15 min. weight circuit
10 min. core circuit

Swim test:
200m, tread water for 10 min.
Watch USRowing safety video
Done.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, we did boat handling stuff
Today, we rowed about 6K on the water. I was sitting 4. Felt awesome.
I have a 2k test tomorrow.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk

Sub 7:00 please.

amnesiac

Reaction score

nice. best of luck. with the splits you've been pulling on regular workouts, you should definitely be sub 7. i think.

10k @ 2:10

I wanted to do a 90 minute piece but settled for 45.

I've had to take a week off from really training for my 5k because of plantar fasciitis
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

This was the first real workout I've done since last Wednesday when I only ran 2 miles.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6:58.0

Splits were 1:41.6, 1:45.8, 1:45.4, 1:45.2.

Then collapsed for a little, ran/walked a mile or something, did a body circuit then a core circuit. Then wall sits. Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

amnesiac

Reaction score

Then collapsed for a little, ran/walked a mile or something, did a body circuit then a core circuit. Then wall sits. Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

That's about as low as I ever got. Congrats on a nice score, but you can definitely do better.
devil.gif

I remember a time we did 2k time trials. The boathouse was just like a pre-fab building and the erg room was upstairs. It had to have been close to 90 degrees in there (Texas gets like that), and we did 2ks (I think I pulled a 7:14, which was my best at that point), rested about 5 or 10 minutes max and then jumped back onto the ergs for 5x500m. I hurled all over the erg after the 3rd. My coach told the other guys who had finished to clean up the erg and then I finished out the piece. It was an epic moment of team bonding, and my coach always liked me better after that (and after he realized that I was only 144 lbs).

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Adda fuckin boy. You're in now. Never easier, only faster. You are no longer allowed to pull a 2k over 7 mins. Bummer I know
devil.gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I pulled the 6:58 at 174 lbs. My goal is to break 6:50 (and 6:45, if possible) at no more than 165 lbs. I also need to learn how to relax in the boat. I'm apparently pretty tense.

Anyway, we rowed 10K on the water today. Coach was pissed at us for most of the time, but we raced the other novice 8 for the last 2K at a capped 14 stroke rating, and beat them with 2.5 boat lengths of open water. It's so much easier to put on full pressure as you move through another boat than it is when you're simply bringing the split #'s on the erg.

jellywerker

Reaction score
I need to stop overcompressing at the catch.
At your level, the loss of efficiency from over-compressing past vertical shins is still likely less than the power you gain from the extra length. On the water, you want that oar in the water for as damn long as possible, assuming you are still moving it with speed. Edit: Especially especially if you row the blade into the water rather than having the blade fully in before you drive. The length helps to compensate for this, but that's the kind of problem that *must* be fixed, as a boat, if you are interested in nationals. I did a 10k today. 1:59 average split (155lbs, 5'11"). Haven't erged in about two months, just kinda in shape from heavy duty yard work. God damn it's hard work when you are no longer on a team and your only goal is fitness. I manage to go into the boathouse, pull something like that out of ******, and then I get sore and don't go for a few more weeks heh.

amnesiac

Reaction score
ugh. i'm slowly making my way back to being where I was before college started
ffffuuuu.gif

1 min full / 1 min rest x 6
22 spm
24 spm
26 spm
28 spm
30 spm
32 spm
1:48.6 avg

3 min rest

1 min full / 1 min rest x 6
28spm
30spm
32spm
32spm
32spm
36spm (all out) - 1:47
1:50 avg (the first one was really slow, like 1:54)

time to do some squats before bed.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
17k on the water.

I'm washing out at the finish, skying on the recovery, hanging a little at the catch, and I have terrible tempo. My blade feathering also isn't pretty. Damnit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads