• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

KMX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
You're lucky. The rest of us have to cope with being non-conformist.
wink.gif

... in a conformist kind of way.
Originally Posted by harry2quinn
And I'm not trying to hide it. Yes, I want to be better dressed than you. Yes, I'm enjoying it, because I look damned good. No reason to be ashamed of that.
Exactly. If you want to lift your look from just "ok" to "damn good", then you should, regardless of whether burlap/pink/speedo is the factor in your "damn good" equation.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been interesting to see this thread come back and nice to see some more encouraging words in the later pages. How strange that so many of us (members of a clothing enthusiasts forum, posting in the formal clothing section) should so readily beat up on the OP's idea/ambition of wearing suits daily...

Yesterday I had an appointment to pick up my latest suit. A friend of mine went along at the same time as he wanted to pick out a shirt fabric and so was there while I was trying it on. He was very complimentary about my 'look' in the suit and later, in a fit of honesty, I commented that if it was purely up to my own taste, I'd dress like that every day. The fact I don't speaks volumes about the wish to conform - and I suspect that may be the motivation behind many of the comments earlier in this thread.

To the OP - going with a suit and tie literally every day is probably a bit much; but you should feel free to develop your own style and taste in clothing. What you feel comfortable with is always the most important arbiter.

SuitAndTieDoc

Reaction score
"Develop your eccentricities while you are young. That way, when you get old, people won't think you're going gaga."
---David Ogilvy

Go for it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely you are fundamentally wrong and it would be better to wear something appropriate for what you are doing. Suits do not fit that bill though by all means wear one as often as you can.

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
To the OP, as Nike says, Just Do It.

When I was 18, I ran for and was elected to public office. Since then I have been wearing suits regularly. I have always received positive comments about being well-dressed, and other positive comments seem to come along for the ride (being well-mannered, being polite, etc.), even in situations where they may not be entirely deserved.

Did I feel out of place a lot when I was in college, out at a bar, hanging out with other "people my age"? Of course. But ask yourself this: Given the choice, would you rather be over-dressed or under-dressed?

People who know me know that I would sleep in a suit if it were practical. That's how often I wear them, and that's how much I enjoy wearing them. And I hope you do, too.

Yngling

Reaction score
I wear a suit and tie to work every day (or a cravat instead of a tie if I use a vest, which I prefer, because I get a bit tired of just ties).

For me it started when I was working in England (in the aeronautics industry, mostly with projects building Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), and this was the appropriate thing to wear.

However, after awhile I moved to Sweden to do a PhD, and here hardly anyone uses even a tie, much less a suit. I, however, wanted to continue wearing suits. I get a lot of response on it, and apart from the odd comment (from some probably disgruntled guy who probably feels intimidated), all of it is positive, especially from the girls.

If you wear a suit when no one else is, the first time people think it is strange. However, when some people are used to always seeing you that way, and act like it is normal, everyone else in the room take after them and only think it is positive.

Also, when you have worn suits enough to look and feel absolutely comfortable in them, you'll look great.

Exit English

Reaction score
I am a full time photographer and for the last 3 years I have been shooting weddings on weekends during the summer months. At first I would just dress up a bit more than my usual tshirt and jeans that I wore during the week, then this past year I purchased a few suits and began to wear them to the weddings. I really like the feel of wearing a suit and I have started to wear a blazer and dress pants more often during the week as well. There is nothing wrong with wanting to wear a suit all the time. Its good look.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crpz32
Do you think about what you wear every day?

Not too much, as I know what I'll wear every day, which is a suit. It saves time, and I know I'll look appropriate. I have too much to think about to devote a lot of time to it.

i like this quote. it reminds me on another quote from Nick Cave (http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/...405372641.html)

"I wear suits, and it's just very easy. I have three or four shirts on the go, and three suits. I wear one for a couple of days and then get the next one out, so I don't have to think too much about it. What the kids are wearing - I don't know, I don't claim to understand anything about the kids."

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. Bad move. Unless you're a gangster, there is no need or benefit to wearing a suit everyday. It will alienate people, especially on the job. If you really want to express your individuality, a better alternative is opening your own business. Then you can do whatever you want because you'll be independent. That's real freedom. I think you would be much happier in the long run since that's what you're really after.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you feel comfortable with is always the most important arbiter.
I'm most comfortable wearing sweatpants and flip flops, but I'm not wearing those every day

SuitAndTieDoc

Reaction score
I would recommend just doing what makes you happy. You will be seen as eccentric and weird by some always but you just have to accept that it is eccentric and not the norm today. I started slowly, a tie now and then, a jacket, weekends, after work staying dressed and am now wearing a suit or jacket and tie 98% of the time. Today was a vacation day but I still wore a three piece suit, it is custom tailored and very comfortable so I have no issue with it. I am not completely insane (yet), I don't wear a suit to the beach or a waterpark or when at the gym obviously but if I have nothing else pressing, its my choice. People slowly got used to it and eventually get shocked when they see you without a jacket and tie on. And for those who get upset.. you can't please everyone, no matter what you do someone will be upset, so at least you should be comfortable and happy. Enjoy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitAndTieDoc
I would recommend just doing what makes you happy. You will be seen as eccentric and weird by some always but you just have to accept that it is eccentric and not the norm today. I started slowly, a tie now and then, a jacket, weekends, after work staying dressed and am now wearing a suit or jacket and tie 98% of the time. Today was a vacation day but I still wore a three piece suit, it is custom tailored and very comfortable so I have no issue with it. I am not completely insane (yet), I don't wear a suit to the beach or a waterpark or when at the gym obviously but if I have nothing else pressing, its my choice. People slowly got used to it and eventually get shocked when they see you without a jacket and tie on. And for those who get upset.. you can't please everyone, no matter what you do someone will be upset, so at least you should be comfortable and happy. Enjoy.

Hopefully you're not wearing a tie when examining patients:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...d-of-MRSA.html

SuitAndTieDoc

Reaction score
I wear a vest every day, the tie is never lose, so yes I do. And the white jackets the interns and residents wear and never clean for three years are much worse then any tie.

gram thorpe

Reaction score
I feel very uncomfortable with tie on all the time , though i love wearing suits.Tie takes away your freedom.

SuitAndTieDoc

Reaction score
Then by all means don't wear one all the time. I think the point of this post is not to judge either way nor to enforce your style on anyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads