• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ville_e

Reaction score
My toe slightly touches the end of my 10.5G Comfort Craftsman boots. Should I size up to a 11G ? Would that add more width to the boot and therefore space for my toe in the toe box? Thanks!

I'm hoping that these will form slightly after use and that I won't feel my toe touching.

LTM

Reaction score
Spot on fxh! Being middle aged I remember that ubiquitous 'uniform' well and you have described it accurately. Perhaps because there was always the 'seconds' shop in Adelaide they crept into wider business use more commonly.
Sounds like part of you knows your siblings were right to give you that ribbing! Those pale moleskins are still popular in SA, I got green and burgundy though.
It never gets a mention on this forum but the 'classic' RM (you don't use the 'williams' in SA 'RMs' suffices) look remains the indigo stubbies, indigo bonds singlet, explorer socks.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
My toe slightly touches the end of my 10.5G Comfort Craftsman boots. Should I size up to a 11G ? Would that add more width to the boot and therefore space for my toe in the toe box? Thanks!

I'm hoping that these will form slightly after use and that I won't feel my toe touching.

Please could someone kindly help me out. I am thinking about sizing up to an 11G from a 10.5G. Right now I can slightly feel my toe touching the end of the boot with my 10.5 but I think it's more a width problem than a length problem.

If I size up to an 11G would that also add more width + length? I'm afraid that sizing up may cause heel slippage.

Thanks in advance and thanks Stuart for your reply!
smile.gif

Rusty G.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
Please could someone kindly help me out. I am thinking about sizing up to an 11G from a 10.5G. Right now I can slightly feel my toe touching the end of the boot with my 10.5 but I think it's more a width problem than a length problem.

If I size up to an 11G would that also add more width + length? I'm afraid that sizing up may cause heel slippage.

Thanks in advance and thanks Stuart for your reply!
smile.gif

You might consider sizing up in length (11) and dropping a size in width if the shoe is too wide for you. F.W.I.W. . .I find the RMW boots a little shorter than expected. I wear a 10C in many US shoes, and went for a 9 F (narrow) in my RMW boots. I like my boots, but I might have been able to go 9.5 for a little more toe room.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Seeing Prime Minister Rudd in them a with a suit a few years back re-enforced that that wearing them with a suit was dorky.

Amen. They look terrible when paired with a suit, imo. The shape and leather quality make them seem okay--as long as you remain standing and you can't see the tops of the boots. These pics show how loony they look as soon as you sit down and expose the elastic and, worse, the pull tabs with the r.m. label stitched into them. Ug.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rusty G.
You might consider sizing up in length (11) and dropping a size in width if the shoe is too wide for you. F.W.I.W. . .I find the RMW boots a little shorter than expected. I wear a 10C in many US shoes, and went for a 9 F (narrow) in my RMW boots. I like my boots, but I might have been able to go 9.5 for a little more toe room.

The width is the problem. I think the toe touching the end is more a width prob. than a length one. Would sizing up to 11G from 10.5 solve the problem in terms of width without becoming too long and causing heel slippage?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Amen. They look terrible when paired with a suit, imo. The shape and leather quality make them seem okay--as long as you remain standing and you can't see the tops of the boots. These pics show how loony they look as soon as you sit down and expose the elastic and, worse, the pull tabs with the r.m. label stitched into them. Ug.

I think it's more of a casual suit look, if such a thing exists. I wouldn't wear them to a funeral/job interview, but to a fun wedding where I'm wearing a suit, why not?

PipPip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I think it's more of a casual suit look, if such a thing exists. I wouldn't wear them to a funeral/job interview, but to a fun wedding where I'm wearing a suit, why not?

I wear mine with a fairly casual cut plain navy blue suit on Fridays. These are "dress down" days in my office, which most people interpret as more casual suit, no tie and wear slightly more casual shoes. Craftsman work well for this. Other than that I don't wear them with suits.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beauty of the RMW Craftsman, for example, is that they go very well with jeans and suits alike. Perhaps others here may not wear them with such, but they're perfectly fine to do so. Times have changed, after all.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LTM
Perhaps because there was always the 'seconds' shop in Adelaide they crept into wider business use more commonly.
Sounds like part of you knows your siblings were right to give you that ribbing! Those pale moleskins are still popular in SA, I got green and burgundy though.
It never gets a mention on this forum but the 'classic' RM (you don't use the 'williams' in SA 'RMs' suffices) look remains the indigo stubbies, indigo bonds singlet, explorer socks.

I think also with SA and RMs I think of Lexy Downer on his "casual" weekends:
984858-dtstory-downer.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Downer

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
The beauty of the RMW Craftsman, for example, is that they go very well with jeans and suits alike. Perhaps others here may not wear them with such, but they're perfectly fine to do so. Times have changed, after all.
+1 As I've mentioned before I wear my RMs to everything (well almost - pyjamas and bathers excluded). From faded Levis to board-room suits. The classic Craftsman, the Macquarie, the Blaxland. All are suitable. If you want to refine the look get'em in French Veal calf. Check the above Downer link for a picture of him flashing his black RMs for Condoleezza way back when. Cheers

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yesterday at work my boss was wearing black chelseas. the entire shoe above the ankle bone was about 1 full inch removed from his sock...it was just flapping around way too loose. a good example of why the RM's I had were 10x better than whatever brand he was wearing. mine fit like a glove all the way around

I did find a barely used Allen Edmonds Taunton (chelsea) on ebay which should be arriving today. will be interesting to see how that compares. it's not a wholecut of course.

for the price I paid (about $50 all in) it doesn't have to be super...either way it doesn't really matter since they dont make them anymore and they are hard to find used.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
+1

As I've mentioned before I wear my RMs to everything (well almost - pyjamas and bathers excluded). From faded Levis to board-room suits. The classic Craftsman, the Macquarie, the Blaxland. All are suitable. If you want to refine the look get'em in French Veal calf.

Check the above Downer link for a picture of him flashing his black RMs for Condoleezza way back when.

Cheers

I've done the same with my HBCs.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with the Windsor boot?

I found an auction on ebay for a pair in 7 G though the sellers stated measurements look close to my CC 7.5 G's.

more important the heel doesn't look exactly like it does in the RM catalog. in the catalog it looks almost like a cuban heel.

here are some pics from the auction. thoughts?

winds2.jpg

winds1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads