1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Distinguished Member

I really like this color on the left.. original poster labeled them as "dark brown oxhide"..
    Is this kind of leather suitable for work boots and how do you put in an order for this kind of leather.. oxhide = willow?
    If not, is it possible to get this similar color in yearling?

Those boots on the right are just exquisite [​IMG]

This should be a n00b test - n00bs always pick shoes like the ones on the left. Vets pick the one on the right.

2. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior Member

I said I liked the color, which I'm guessing is attainable only with that rougher kind of leather. Whiskey, even though it looks nice, isn't going to work with what's in my wardrobe at the moment, and probably never will.
    and yes, I'm a noob here to learn, like many others on this forum. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

on another note:

stockmans take 10 fuckin weeks! (i thought they took 4) what? nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Question:

Is the RM Williams boot polish preferred, or is there a better polish, or doesn't really matter?

3. ville_e

ville_e Senior Member

I just received my comfort craftsman yearling chestnut boots today and unfortunately the toe slightly touches the end of the boot. Should I exchange them for a bigger size or will they form to my feet with use? The toe just slightly touches the end and it doesn't feel that uncomfortable wearing them but I can feel my toe at the end of the boots which annoys me. Will the yearling leather stretch slightly to make way for my toe? I am afraid that if I get a bigger boot they will be too big. [​IMG]

4. DrZRM

DrZRM Distinguished Member

Boots don't really stretch lengthwise. If your toe is touching, I figure it will hurt after a day of walking (that's what I find). Go up a half size, you may want to size down a width if you are worried about the volume of the boot, but it depends how the ones you have fit.

I just received my comfort craftsman yearling chestnut boots today and unfortunately the toe slightly touches the end of the boot. Should I exchange them for a bigger size or will they form to my feet with use? The toe just slightly touches the end and it doesn't feel that uncomfortable wearing them but I can feel my toe at the end of the boots which annoys me.

Will the yearling leather stretch slightly to make way for my toe? I am afraid that if I get a bigger boot they will be too big. [​IMG]

5. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Based on your description they are too short. There will be no stretch lengthwise.

6. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this is another sizing question. I got the Craftsman in a 7G Yearling with screwed scoles (in Dark Tan). The fit even after 5 wears is still tight in the toe box, where I feel my toes being pinched a little. The boots are perfect lenghtwise, as I still have some room in the front and the heel doesn't slip. The 7.5G was too big.

Would I just need to get a wider size then to fix the toe box issue? The fit is great everywhere else, so I don't know if H would be too wide. In addition, I don't want to lose any sleekness in the boots. Is the Craftsman just a bad last for me?

I'm interested in ordering the forum special - the B529 last. If I size up to 7.5 or 8, what widths should I get. I'm just not sure if the normal conversion in the original post applies, if I'm having the tight toe box issue.

Thanks.

7. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior Member

I really like this color on the left.. original poster labeled them as "dark brown oxhide".. Is this kind of leather suitable for work boots and how do you put in an order for this kind of leather.. oxhide = willow? If not, is it possible to get this similar color in yearling? Also, are all these colors available in yearling? http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...9#/2af7b969/96 [​IMG] btw, anyone mind showing some full body frontal pics of black or chestnut stockmans worn with jeans? Side view would be very much appreciated too. Thanks!
    These are mine - the ones on the left are Stockyard (it's a heavy, thick, matt-finish unlined leather and I think it's only available on the work-boot range. It certainly won't take a shine) and the ones on the right are Macquarie in Whiskey yearling. I wear the Stockyard for garden/general outdoor use, they are solid and comfortable. They are also quite a lot cheaper than the Craftsman/Turnout/Macquarie (about £120 vs £200, IIRC) The Macquarie are much more dressy. Both good boots, but for very different purposes.

8. ville_e

ville_e Senior Member

Based on your description they are too short. There will be no stretch lengthwise.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your replies.

Do the boots stretch in width? [​IMG]

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Thanks for your replies.

Do the boots stretch in width? [​IMG]

Roo will, and Calf is thinner than Yearling as well so you don't need it to stretch. I *think* Yearling will stretch *some*

10. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Niether will stretch in the toebox. If your difficulty is in the forward 2.5-3" or so, you'd be ill-advised to hope or plan for stretch.

11. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior Member

Found this awesome picture back on page 69.. these are bad-ass.
    Does everyone that own a stockman, have it on the chisel-toe last? Feels like this shoe wouldn't look as cool in any other toe shape... what you guys think?

More pics please.. I really want to see clearer pictures of the black / chestnut stockman (or other boots) worn with jeans

[​IMG]

Toiletduck had a brilliant pair of RM Williams boots in WAYRN. RM Williams dress boots. So I went to find out what kind they were. The closest thing on the web site is the Stockman's buckle boot. I definitely see two straps above, but I can only positively identify one strap on the link.

Is that what Toiletduck is wearing?

They sure look good on his feet.

12. fykchang

fykchang Active Member

Sorry, I am not sure where to post this message. I had to return a pair of RM William boots to Steve at Nungar due to size issue for an exchange. However, for the past few months I had not been able to get a response from Steve (he did confirm he had received the boots from me) as to when my exchange will be send out. Has anyone encounter this communication problem with Steve at Nungar? I hope he does not take my boots and not do anything with it - SATOR can you help? Thanks.

13. DrZRM

DrZRM Distinguished Member

It seems unlikely that a reputable business owner is going to steal your shoes. Maybe he is waiting for your boots to be made, or is on summer holiday, remember that RM Williams has just been closed for the month after the X-mas holiday, as they are every year.

Why don't you just give him a call?

Store number (02) 6928 1134
    Cell phone 0429 201 140

14. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior Member

Sorry, I am not sure where to post this message. I had to return a pair of RM William boots to Steve at Nungar due to size issue for an exchange. However, for the past few months I had not been able to get a response from Steve (he did confirm he had received the boots from me) as to when my exchange will be send out. Has anyone encounter this communication problem with Steve at Nungar? I hope he does not take my boots and not do anything with it - SATOR can you help? Thanks.

Seems to be a lot of issues with Steve in this thread, and none with Barry (bootsonline)...
    He replied my inquiry last week (usually takes him a few days) so it's not like he's on vacation.

Anyway, why would you wait a few months if you don't get a response? should have called. A few months wait = MTO boot.
    and I think it would be wrong for him to not reply your email and not let you know what's going on even if he was waiting for the factory to send the boots.

Call him and let us know the results, because I'm curious as to if all these complaints about Steve are valid.

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Distinguished Member

Seems to be a lot of issues with Steve in this thread, and none with Barry (bootsonline)... He replied my inquiry last week (usually takes him a few days) so it's not like he's on vacation. Anyway, why would you wait a few months if you don't get a response? should have called. A few months wait = MTO boot. and I think it would be wrong for him to not reply your email and not let you know what's going on even if he was waiting for the factory to send the boots. Call him and let us know the results, because I'm curious as to if all these complaints about Steve are valid.
    i emailed both for a quote on my config (custom)... steve never replied, so i placed order with barry. didnt care about price difference, if there was one. why should i have to go out of my way to give him my business?