RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

I'm worried the 7G craftsman yearling I ordered will be too small... it seems that my feet are growing.
    Could have swore the last time I measured I was an US size 8D on the brannock (which is equivalent to 10 inches length I think).. but just now I measured with a measuring tape / ruler and it's approx 10.2 inches.. I can wear 8D Allen Edmond PAs comfortably but then again those are an elongated shape. (I could even wear 7.5E, while 9D are definitely too big)

I'm looking at these measurements posted by a lot of the Ebay sellers, according to them:
    RMW 7G insole length = 25 cm (9.84251969 inch)
    RMW 8G insole length = 26 cm (10.2362205 inch)
    RMW 8.5G insole lenght = 27 cm (10.6299213 inch)

my feet = 10.2 inch

Does that mean I definitely won't fit in a 7G?

Does anyone here have a snug & comfortable fit in a 7G - 8G yearling craftsman (or 7F kangaroo craftsman/stockman)?
    Please list both your feet measurement (in inches), Thanks!

2. Ged

Ged Well-Known Member

I'm worried the 7G craftsman yearling I ordered will be too small... it seems that my feet are growing.
    Could have swore the last time I measured I was an US size 8D on the brannock (which is equivalent to 10 inches length I think).. but just now I measured with a measuring tape / ruler and it's approx 10.2 inches.. I can wear 8D Allen Edmond PAs comfortably but then again those are an elongated shape. (I could even wear 7.5E, while 9D are definitely too big)

I'm looking at these measurements posted by a lot of the Ebay sellers, according to them:
    RMW 7G insole length = 25 cm (9.84251969 inch)
    RMW 8G insole length = 26 cm (10.2362205 inch)
    RMW 8.5G insole lenght = 27 cm (10.6299213 inch)

my feet = 10.2 inch

Does that mean I definitely won't fit in a 7G?

Does anyone here have a snug & comfortable fit in a 7G - 8G yearling craftsman (or 7F kangaroo craftsman/stockman)?
    Please list both your feet measurement (in inches), Thanks!

I am an 8G-H in RMW and my foot measure 10.2 inches long and 4.2 inches wide. But then I think I advised you to go 8G anyway, didn't I?

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I'm worried the 7G craftsman yearling I ordered will be too small... it seems that my feet are growing. Could have swore the last time I measured I was an US size 8D on the brannock (which is equivalent to 10 inches length I think).. but just now I measured with a measuring tape / ruler and it's approx 10.2 inches.. I can wear 8D Allen Edmond PAs comfortably but then again those are an elongated shape. (I could even wear 7.5E, while 9D are definitely too big) I'm looking at these measurements posted by a lot of the Ebay sellers, according to them: RMW 7G insole length = 25 cm (9.84251969 inch) RMW 8G insole length = 26 cm (10.2362205 inch) RMW 8.5G insole lenght = 27 cm (10.6299213 inch) my feet = 10.2 inch Does that mean I definitely won't fit in a 7G? Does anyone here have a snug & comfortable fit in a 7G - 8G yearling craftsman (or 7F kangaroo craftsman/stockman)? Please list both your feet measurement (in inches), Thanks!
    you're saying you can wear anywhere from a 7.5 to an 8.5 in Park Avenue, and they are ok lengthwise? I doubt that is actually true, which is why you are so confused. your best fit is going to be 1 exact combination of length and width. figure out what that is. I was fitted for PA in 8.5 E and using the size guide on Page 1 ordered a 7.5 G in Roo Comfort Craftsman and it fits perfect. in Yearling Craftsman I would probably order 7.G or possibly H, but 7.5 either way ok, I noticed upthread you said this
    if that is actually true, then a 7 in RM Craftsman should be fine, probably in G. if it's too short then you must be off on your PA sizing I wouldn't take those Ebay measurements as gospel...do you notice from your figures that the difference is exactly the same between a half size and a full size? they are each .39 inches away from each other. that can't be right

4. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

I said I liked the color, which I'm guessing is attainable only with that rougher kind of leather. Whiskey, even though it looks nice, isn't going to work with what's in my wardrobe at the moment, and probably never will.
    and yes, I'm a noob here to learn, like many others on this forum. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

on another note:

stockmans take 10 fuckin weeks! (i thought they took 4) what? nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Question:

Is the RM Williams boot polish preferred, or is there a better polish, or doesn't really matter?

I purchased some Stockmans - was quoted 10-weeks, arrived in 4. You could be lucky.

As for the polish, first problem I had was Craftsman in claret - RMW dont do polish in this colour. I have just recived delivery of Saphir black, dk brown and mahogany polish (plus 3 daubers and 3 brushes) from Francos.com. To tell you the truth, to me there doesnt appear to be any diff between the RM, Kiwi and the Saphir brands.

5. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

nvm. fuuuck it!!! 4 week to wait to see if this works out and if not I'll be sellin some shoes on the forum and wait another 4 weeks for results..

btw anyone have a good picture of some black yearling/kangaroo stockman? I saw one pic but can't find it anymore

yep, I'll do this at the weekend. I think someone wanted to see them with jeans too.

6. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

if that is actually true, then a 7 in RM Craftsman should be fine, probably in G. if it's too short then you must be off on your PA sizing

It might also be the case that the craftsman chisel toe simply doesn't fit his foot well (in any size). For some (including me), no combination of length / width can make a craftsman fit my foot. If that's the case, he may need to steer toward a rounder toe like the turnout or yard boot.

7. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I ordered a pair of the comfort craftsman in size 10.5G.

They were too small in terms of width. I felt my toe slightly touching either the end or the side of the boot.

If I exchange the size 10.5G for a 11G would that solve the problem? Would the 11G be larger in both width and length

Or should I go for a wider 10.5H or 11H?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

8. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

I ordered a pair of the comfort craftsman in size 10.5G.

They were too small in terms of width. I felt my toe slightly touching either the end or the side of the boot.

If I exchange the size 10.5G for a 11G would that solve the problem? Would the 11G be larger in both width and length

Or should I go for a wider 10.5H or 11H?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

Small toe box is a known problem with the comfort craftsman. If the toe was the only place it didn't fit, then a 10.5G regular craftsman should work for you.

I take a 9.5G in regular craftsman, and I bought a 9.5H in the comfort craftsman. Big mistake. I don't know what sizing up 0.5 would have done.

Thanks,

Stuart

9. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

I totally forgot the RM Williams boots / Craftsman have a higher arch than other shoes, which explains why the ebay measurements could be off if they just measured in a straight line.
    At this point I don't care anymore, just hoping that it works out. If not I guess it'd be easy to resell them on the forum for what I paid and take a loss of shipping cost.

sigh... this never-ending journey to find the perfect shoe (addiction) requires comfortable shoes to walk in.

edit: damn... missed an auction on a pair of craftsmen that ended at $60.. stupid internet died on me.

10. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I take a 9.5G in regular craftsman, and I bought a 9.5H in the comfort craftsman. Big mistake. I don't know what sizing up 0.5 would have done.

Thanks,

Stuart

Thanks for your help Stuart!! Would someone be able to comment on if sizing up 0.5 to an 11G would help solve the problem?

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

I thought USA readers might like to see this photo of our PM and his RMs with Obama.

Like many Australians I was a bit bemused to see that RMs were held in high esteem as a fashion/style item here on SF.

I have mixed feelings about RMs having grown up with owning many pairs as work /farm boots.

Seeing Prime Minister Rudd in them a with a suit a few years back re-enforced that that wearing them with a suit was dorky.

But ....

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

Kev comparing shoes with Al Gore

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

Barack thanking Kevin for showing him how to order RMs online

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Nothing dorky about it at all. RMW can be worn casually with jeans or with suits. That's the beauty of them.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Nothing dorky about it at all. RMW can be worn casually with jeans or with suits. That's the beauty of them.

I am still coming to grips with RMs as dress boots.

I come from a farm background and wore RMs for rough work with cuban heels for going out sometimes.

I still have a pair of black chisel toed Santa Fe cubans in very good nick that I haven't worn for over 10 years perhaps except when I went to see Red Rivers or Dale Watson or Buddy Miller.

The dressier boots I always associated with stock and station agents or boarding school squatter boys who dressed in flat heeled shiney RMs, white moleskins, smalled checked shirts, sports coats and narrow wool knit ties.

[ added: oh and who can forget the Derryn Hinch look of short guys wearing cuban heeled RMs with shiney suits - possible the biggest cringe factor]

I know its just a look and almost no one else except me probably even remembers it. (although its still pretty alive and well in some rural parts) Well except my brothers and sisters who last time I wore white moleskins ( yes I have a pair) with brown boots mocked me mercilessly.

I'll probably come around to RMs with a suit or SC.