• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Chromexcel from North River in Boston, all sizes, better price than JCrew. Same boot as far as I can tell.

http://www.northriveroutfitter.com/p...ring_2010.html

Thats what I was asking earlier, because I know there are Alden Chromexel and then there are Alden x JCrew Chromexel and was wondering if gnatty's is from JCrew or just the regular Alden. Also does anyone know if there are any difference? I know the JCrew version has leather lining, not sure about the regular Chromexel Alden since my original 405 isn't leather lined.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can North River Outfitter only charge $378 instead of $450 like at The Shoe Mart? Why is it called a "403" instead of "405"? Maybe this isn't the Bootmaker's Edition...?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think 403 is just the style/color number for the chromexel version. 404 is the brown kudu.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Thats what I was asking earlier, because I know there are Alden Chromexel and then there are Alden x JCrew Chromexel and was wondering if gnatty's is from JCrew or just the regular Alden. Also does anyone know if there are any difference? I know the JCrew version has leather lining, not sure about the regular Chromexel Alden since my original 405 isn't leather lined.

I put this question to a SA in the Alden Shop in S.F. just last week.

He said the Alden chromexel indy is the same as the J. Crew indy in every way except that the Alden chromexel is actually a darker brown. FWIW.

iansir

Reaction score
I preordered the chromexcel indy's (403) from NRO about 3 weeks ago - still waiting for them to ship. Couldn't pass up the $378 plus free shipping price. They have had good communication so far when I had to change the shipping address. I'll post when they arrive.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume the Shoe Mart Chrome Excel's are leather lined and the NRO Chrome Excel's are not leather lined.

My Shoe Mart Chrome Excel Indy boots are #40514H, not 403.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
I assume the Shoe Mart Chrome Excel's are leather lined and the NRO Chrome Excel's are not leather lined.

My Shoe Mart Chrome Excel Indy boots are #40514H, not 403.

NRO Chromexcel indies *are* leather-lined.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
So so close to pullin trigger on cordo lw still gotta confirm sizing which I think is 9.5 as I like them to fit snug.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
So so close to pullin trigger on cordo lw still gotta confirm sizing which I think is 9.5 as I like them to fit snug.

Same here. Is The Shoe Mart still offering 10% off of in-store and phone orders?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got the longwings from J.Crew today. Very nice, and definitely much darker than the stock photos.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joel_954
Same here. Is The Shoe Mart still offering 10% off of in-store and phone orders?

Not sure, I'm picking them up from alden.

rolling green

Reaction score
Where else can I pick up cordo longwings with a return policy like the shoemart? Was just told by shoemart that the cordo lw are on back order till May in my size.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an somewhat detailed summary/guide (even pictorial/photographic?) to Alden lasts anywhere on SF? I can't seem to find anything. It amazes me how even a city like Toronto apparently doesn't have a dependable Alden dealer so I can view these lasts in person.

If not, somebody start taking some side-by-side photos of these things so that I can compare the toe-box shapes before I spend $500+.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Is there an somewhat detailed summary/guide (even pictorial/photographic?) to Alden lasts anywhere on SF? I can't seem to find anything. It amazes me how even a city like Toronto apparently doesn't have a dependable Alden dealer so I can view these lasts in person.

If not, somebody start taking some side-by-side photos of these things so that I can compare the toe-box shapes before I spend $500+.

Go to aldenshoes.com. It lists the last w/ every model on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads