***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

My ravello wingtips

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Are they shipping them to you? Don't recall ShoeMart ships to Canada. I could be wrong.

They have international shipping but its insanely expensive

Gah. Omega Man, you're right.

Sucks for me but I guess it sucks more for ShoeMart as it looks like I won't be buying. I think I'll wait for LeatherSoul's Plaza Cap Toe Restock. (Tom, can I pre-order these in any way? I'm on the email list I think, but I'm not exactly sure what that does for me.)

I think I'd appreciate the speed laces anyway.

3. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

FTFM

(Thanks again for the photos.) I'm more a bit more adventurous than the Barrie allows - I was deciding between the Plaza and the Grant, and I think the Grant is a perfect balance between fashion and boring IMO.

I think I might grab the #8 Cap Toe Boots from ShoeMart.

yes the Barrie is very traditional, IMO they are the most similar to the vintage Florsheim longwings that pop up on ebay now and then. I like to think of the Grant as more utilitarian/military and the Plaza as more urban/business 500. But I am pretty sure that to most people not familiar with Aldens, they will just think, "damn those are nice dress shoes."

4. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

The J. Crew's are actually stitched differently around the top, and heel. It's fairly subtle, but IMO, it takes a little something away from the clean lines of the 40x/Shoemart/LSH offerings.

Thx for the useful side x side. The difference in stitching is actually pretty pronounced. I much prefer the stitching on the 40x, which seems somehow...faster.

5. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Does anyone know what last the Indy is on?

I take a 8.5D in Longwings on the Barrie, should i buy the same size in the Indy boot?

Wanted a pair of the chrome excels but might have to settle for the Jcrew edition.

6. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

The Indy is on the Truebalance last which fits exactly the same as the Barrie.
    Size a down a half size from your normal shoe size.

7. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

Hey all,

I just got some new Alden chukkas in brown calf and the leather on the sides of the shoes seems really "wrinkled." Am I just being super picky or do these look kind of odd?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Hey all,

I just got some new Alden chukkas in brown calf and the leather on the sides of the shoes seems really "wrinkled." Am I just being super picky or do these look kind of odd?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

did you buy those new?
    they should be smooth if new and unworn

9. robin

robin Senior member

It's fine. They're going to get wrinkled anyways.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...581addb28745bf

J crew Indy looks to have contrast stitching. I like its body stitching better though.

Must have missed that. Looks like they pulled the boot for the season already though...

11. bananananana

bananananana In Time Out

That's bullshit if they're new from a store. Return them.

I'm not even sure how they wrinkled like that. I've never seen the sides of shoes to get wrinkled like that even from daily wear.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Must have missed that. Looks like they pulled the boot for the season already though...

I think they just pulled it off the website because there is a coupon code for 20% at JCrew right now and since collabs are excluded, they take it off the website instead of dealing with the problem in case one of the orders slips through with the discount.

13. amlai

amlai Senior member

I've been looking at the new 404 and it seems identical to Alden of Carmel's AF64s. Has anyone actually seen a 404 and an AF64 to see if there is a difference? I've been assuming that the AF64's "heavily oiled leather uppers" is the Brown Kudu.

I really like the new 403's as well. I already have too many Indy boots, but I foresee picking up either a 403 or a 404 in the relatively near future.

14. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

did you buy those new?
    they should be smooth if new and unworn

Yeah, they're new from Alden of Carmel. Mmmmm, guess I should return them....

15. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Yeah, they're new from Alden of Carmel. Mmmmm, guess I should return them....

If i just dropped 4.5 bills on a pair of chukkas and they looked like that i wouldn't be happy.

aldens QC is shameful lately.

the "commando" soles on my boots are coming unstitched after just a month and a half of wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.