1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robin

robin Stylish Dinosaur

Is there an somewhat detailed summary/guide (even pictorial/photographic?) to Alden lasts anywhere on SF? I can't seem to find anything. It amazes me how even a city like Toronto apparently doesn't have a dependable Alden dealer so I can view these lasts in person.

If not, somebody start taking some side-by-side photos of these things so that I can compare the toe-box shapes before I spend $500+.

I threw this together awhile back with the common lasts. It kind of gives you a good idea of how they'll look, but they're all a bit different from a 3d perspective.

[​IMG]

2. Notreknip

Notreknip Distinguished Member

Thanks robin, that's the perspective I need. (Obviously it's not complete, but it's a start.)

The images on ShoeMart are decent but it's hard to coordinate 10 windows in order to be able to visually compare them.

Unless I'm missing something the Alden site is pretty much useless in terms of gaining information on toe shape and length.

Can anybody provide comparison information on Grant vs. Barrie?

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Distinguished Member

Thats what I was asking earlier, because I know there are Alden Chromexel and then there are Alden x JCrew Chromexel and was wondering if gnatty's is from JCrew or just the regular Alden. Also does anyone know if there are any difference? I know the JCrew version has leather lining, not sure about the regular Chromexel Alden since my original 405 isn't leather lined.
    I put this question to a SA in the Alden Shop in S.F. just last week. He said the Alden chromexel indy is the same as the J. Crew indy in every way except that the Alden chromexel is actually a darker brown. FWIW.
    As far as I can tell, other than color (maybe?), it's just JCrew's typical "we're the only place you can get this ultra-unique design made just for us!" sales point that drives the $75 anal-rape price difference. If the Alden excel is the same color as my excel Docs, it promises to have some great color and tonal depth and massive character.
    I assume the Shoe Mart Chrome Excel's are leather lined and the NRO Chrome Excel's are not leather lined. My Shoe Mart Chrome Excel Indy boots are #40514H, not 403.
    I know you got the answer, but: "This new boot will be made on the Trubalance last and will be leather lined"
    I preordered the chromexcel indy's (403) from NRO about 3 weeks ago - still waiting for them to ship. Couldn't pass up the $378 plus free shipping price. They have had good communication so far when I had to change the shipping address. I'll post when they arrive.
    That would be awesome. I just ordered today. They noted that backorders will be filled first with the stock they just received.

4. Dethevn

Dethevn Active Member

Thanks robin, that's the perspective I need. (Obviously it's not complete, but it's a start.) The images on ShoeMart are decent but it's hard to coordinate 10 windows in order to be able to visually compare them. Unless I'm missing something the Alden site is pretty much useless in terms of gaining information on toe shape and length. Can anybody provide comparison information on Grant vs. Barrie?
    [​IMG] Taken from earlier in the thread. Grant is on left, Plaza on right. Edit: Just noticed you're from Toronto too. I'm in the same position with regards to Aldens :/

5. jpm77

jpm77 New Member

Thats what I was asking earlier, because I know there are Alden Chromexel and then there are Alden x JCrew Chromexel and was wondering if gnatty's is from JCrew or just the regular Alden. Also does anyone know if there are any difference? I know the JCrew version has leather lining, not sure about the regular Chromexel Alden since my original 405 isn't leather lined.
    The J. Crew's are actually stitched differently around the top, and heel. It's fairly subtle, but IMO, it takes a little something away from the clean lines of the 40x/Shoemart/LSH offerings.

J. Crew:
    [​IMG]

403:
    [​IMG]

6. Razele

Razele Distinguished Member

@ Robin

Thanks for that mate, saved it for future reference.

7. BBSLM

BBSLM Distinguished Member

Just got the longwings from J.Crew today. Very nice, and definitely much darker than the stock photos.

I was a little disappointed in the darkness, but Ive gotten used to it, and I really cant complain for $374 shipped (student discount). These are going to be in heavy rotation this s/s, and have completely replaced my 966's for casual wear - the aberdeen last is way too dainty.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Grant shits on plaza and barrie is still king tank.

9. MiniW

MiniW Distinguished Member

the Grant last has a pointier toe box than the Barrie, the Barrie has a rounder toe box and is slightly larger all around. Personally I found myself a good fit in 8 D in the Grant Last and 7.5 D in the Barrie. When I was breaking in my Grant Last shoes (the cap toe boots in shell), my toes occasionally got pinched together. I find the grant last pretty handsome but it won't fit everyone well. I am in a good mood so I took some pics of some shoes on the two lasts.

The black longwings are on the Grant Last (size 8D) and were a special run for BBBF, the burgundy are size 7.5D Barrie Last. And you can see from the side pic that the Barrie has a higher toe box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

Thanks M dub, both are nice. Your pics just reaffirmed the barrie lw is the one for me.

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Distinguished Member

J. Crew: [​IMG] 403: [​IMG]
    JCrew also seem phobic of the contrast toe stitching. And thank you too for that. It totally satisfies the last few questions I had between the two.
    [​IMG] ]
    Nice photo essay. Also much appreciated.

12. Notreknip

Notreknip Distinguished Member

Thanks M dub, both are nice. Your pics just reaffirmed the Grant is the one for me.

FTFM

(Thanks again for the photos.) I'm more a bit more adventurous than the Barrie allows - I was deciding between the Plaza and the Grant, and I think the Grant is a perfect balance between fashion and boring IMO.

I think I might grab the #8 Cap Toe Boots from ShoeMart.

13. thenanyu

thenanyu Distinguished Member

14. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior Member

FTFM

I think I might grab the #8 Cap Toe Boots from ShoeMart.

Are they shipping them to you? Don't recall ShoeMart ships to Canada. I could be wrong.

15. Dethevn

Dethevn Active Member

Are they shipping them to you? Don't recall ShoeMart ships to Canada. I could be wrong.

They have international shipping but its insanely expensive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.