1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkin

dunkin Senior member

yo pete i sent you a pm
    u might be in luck but maybe not

2. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

Aberdeen is the most elongated of the Alden lasts. The Grant last is actually full, IMO, however not when you compare it to the Barrie. Yes, it is narrow than the Barrie but my no means is it narrow. I have the BBBF Longwing on the Grant Last and really like it.

I find the Grant last to be the ideal last - full, fairly broad toe box, but not Barrie blobish. I love my BBBF Longwings.

So did you guys go true to size? Or size down a half?

3. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

i tried barrie last and grant last in the store. i'd think its safe to take the same size in barrie last for grant last. the grant last was a bit more snug than the barrie but not really uncomfortable.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

i saw a few pages back that winn perry has some captoe boots that you ccan pre-order due in september in calf and scotchgrain. give them a call.

Any pics? More info?

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

7. rick

rick Senior member

Any pics? More info?

it was a email reply that someone posted of all the new aldens they have coming in. i printed that list there was no pics only descriptions. i called winn perry and they confirmed they should arrive by september. they have a website i am sure they could send you that list or if you pm me i could fax it to you.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Here it is.

Just got this email from Winn Perry detailing their upcoming FW10 collabs with Alden:

Hello everyone,

You are receiving this e-mail because you have expressed interest in our special make-up program with Alden Shoe Co. Below are the styles that we will be making up with Alden for the Fall/Winter 2010 time-frame. If you have any interest in pre-ordering these models, please contact us by e-mail sales@winnperry.com or by phone at 503.922.1298.

97786 Double Waterloc Longwing **Pre-orders Due Thursday 3/4/10 by 5PM Pacific
    Leather: Walnut Brown Calf
    Sole: Double Waterloc w/ light antique finish
    Welt: 360 Reverse
    Last: Barrie
    Stock Sizes: 7D-12D
    Price: $450

Brown Chromexcel Longwing
    Leather: Brown Chromexcel
    Sole: Commando w/ light antique finish
    Price: $TBD (Estimated $425-$475)

45193H Tobacco Reverse Chamois Boots ("Little Tanks") **Pre-orders Due Thursday 3/4/10 by 5PM Pacific
    Leather: Tobacco Reverse Chamois
    Sole: Plantation Crepe w/ light antique finish
    Welt: 360 Regular
    Price: $435

"Earth" Reverse Chamois Boots
    Leather: Earth Reverse Chamois (This color is a very dark mud brown and appears all but black)
    Sole: Plantation Crepe w/ match finish
    Welt: 360 Regular
    Price: $435

Straight Tip Cap Toe Boot
    Leather: Tan Vegano
    Sole: Double Waterloc w/ light antique finish
    Stock Sizes: 8D-12D

Perf Straight Tip Cap Toe Boot (*No Medallion)
    Leather: Color #8 Shell Cordovan
    Sole: Double Waterloc w/ match finish and good year heel
    Welt: Regular Close Heel
    Price: $TBD (Estimated $575-$650)

6 Eye Chukka Wing
    Leather: Color #8 Shell Cordovan
    Sole: Double Waterloc w/ match finish
    Last: Plaza
    Price: $TBD (Estimated $575-$650)

V-Tip Blucher
    Leather: Walnut Brown Calf
    Sole: Double Watlock w/ light antique finish
    Last: Hampton
    Stock Sizes: 8D-12D

Plain Toe Boot
    Leather: Burnished Mahogany Waxhide
    Sole: Commando w/ mahogany finish
    Welt: Reverse 360

Ranger Mocc
    Leather: Smooth Tobacco Chamois
    Sole: Plantation Crepe
    Welt: 360 Regular w/ light antique finish
    Last: Van

Mackinac Boot (*Same as Ranger Mocc, but in boot)
    Leather: Smooth Tobacco Chamois
    Sole: Plantation Crepe
    Last: Van

Straight Tip Cap Toe Boot
    Leather: Brown Scotch Grain
    Sole: Double Waterloc w/ goodyear heel

9. PETEROCK1

PETEROCK1 Active Member

That helps. Thanks Zippy.

Was looking for a black captoe though. [​IMG]

rfx45, what about these.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grant Captoe Flex Boot from leather soul http://lsfootwear.com/

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

anybody get the LSH safari boot in snuff suede? if so, how do you like them? considering a pre-order placement

11. mg428

mg428 Senior member

i wish they were on barrie, grant does not fit me well.

Ones who own Alden shoes with lady calf upper could you please comment on this leather and compare with regular calfskin shoes of Alden? When I say regular calfskin, I mean mostly non-Horween sourced leathers of Alden, and I am aware that Alden sources its calfskins from various sources so I am not sure whether my question is realistic. Perhaps we may take Alden regular stock calfskin shoes as basis? Your comments on suede leather will also be appreciated.

We all know lady calf is softer. But I am particularly interested in knowing whether they are i) more/less durable (to harsh wearings and bad weather conditions; ii) requires more/less maintanance; and iii) show creases more/less, than regular stock Alden calfskin shoes upon equal great deal of wearings under same conditions.

12. forex

forex Senior member

Whiskey longwings from Epaulet showed up today.
    [​IMG]

With the snuff suede ones which showed up a couple days ago.
    [​IMG]

Epaulet,
    are these going to be restocked any time soon?

13. iansir

iansir Well-Known Member

Ones who own Alden shoes with lady calf upper could you please comment on this leather and compare with regular calfskin shoes of Alden? When I say regular calfskin, I mean mostly non-Horween sourced leathers of Alden, and I am aware that Alden sources its calfskins from various sources so I am not sure whether my question is realistic. Perhaps we may take Alden regular stock calfskin shoes as basis? Your comments on suede leather will also be appreciated.

We all know lady calf is softer. But I am particularly interested in knowing whether they are i) more/less durable (to harsh wearings and bad weather conditions; ii) requires more/less maintanance; and iii) show creases more/less, than regular stock Alden calfskin shoes upon equal great deal of wearings under same conditions.

I have a 'soft calfskin' pair of Aldens and a regular calfskin pair. The soft calfskin is a bit more 'grainy' and there is more texture to it, and it is more difficult to get a mirror shine. The soft calfskin is so soft that I am more careful with them, I expect them to be more susceptible to scratches and knicks. It also seems like the texture soaks up a bit more water (and also leather conditioner), but not much worse for bad weather conditions than regular calfskin. They seem to require the same maintenance as regular calfskin, I use alden leather conditioner on them every week and only wear them once a week. They show creases less than regular calfskin in my experience, and the creases rub out a bit with some conditioner. Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I might even post some pictures later today....

14. mg428

mg428 Senior member

I have a 'soft calfskin' pair of Aldens and a regular calfskin pair. The soft calfskin is a bit more 'grainy' and there is more texture to it, and it is more difficult to get a mirror shine. The soft calfskin is so soft that I am more careful with them, I expect them to be more susceptible to scratches and knicks. It also seems like the texture soaks up a bit more water (and also leather conditioner), but not much worse for bad weather conditions than regular calfskin. They seem to require the same maintenance as regular calfskin, I use alden leather conditioner on them every week and only wear them once a week. They show creases less than regular calfskin in my experience, and the creases rub out a bit with some conditioner. Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I might even post some pictures later today....
    Thank you. These were what I thought I would hear. I find regular stock Alden shoes' calfskin not decent in comparison to my other Alden shoes and C&J and AS Premiere line shoes. In particular, they show creases most. I must note that I am not necessarily saying that calfskin sourced from Horween are better. One thing though: Why, in general, brand new photos of lady calfskin shoes seem to show creases or as if they will be more susceptible to show more creases? Perhaps it is only me thinking like that? Or the grainy look and the fact of "more texture to it" you described give such impression to me?

15. jet

jet Senior member

Are those alden hiking/chukka looking boots being made yet anyone know?

16. robin

robin Senior member

Are those alden hiking/chukka looking boots being made yet anyone know?
    Should be getting to stores in time for fall.

17. jet

jet Senior member

Do you know what page they're on in this thread? I can't find it via search for the life of me.

18. iansir

iansir Well-Known Member

Thank you. These were what I thought I would hear. I find regular stock Alden shoes' calfskin not decent in comparison to my other Alden shoes and C&J and AS Premiere line shoes. In particular, they show creases most. I must note that I am not necessarily saying that calfskin sourced from Horween are better.

One thing though: Why, in general, brand new photos of lady calfskin shoes seem to show creases or as if they will be more susceptible to show more creases? Perhaps it is only me thinking like that? Or the grainy look and the fact of "more texture to it" you described give such impression to me?

I think they look more susceptible since they are more textured...almost like they have some natural crease lines in them. However, their creases seem less deep than standard alden calf - with a good bit of leather conditioner worked into them the creases seem to lighten up a lot. Here are some pictures of mine, they have not been polished or conditioned since last wear this week (sunday is shoe polish night!):

Alden calf on left, soft calfskin on right
    [​IMG]

Closeup of soft calfskin:
    [​IMG]

I like the soft calfskin and they are very comfortable. However, I wouldn't pay any extra for it. I like the better shine I get on standard calf, plus they feel more durable. Sorry for the crappy phone pictures...these shoes deserve better, but I spend all my money on shoes and not cameras [​IMG]

19. djh

djh Senior member

20. mikesduc

mikesduc Senior member

Chicken noodle soup on snuff suede. Left a big dark stain on the vamp. Any suggestions? Water had zero effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.