1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scb

scb Senior member

^The kudu that was in the other pic is the Ultimate Indy in Kudu from LS. The pic you posted is the standard Indy from Alden in Kudu.

correct. mine are the Leathersoul Ultimate Indy in Kudu. commando sole

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

So the leather is inferior on the RW to the Aldens? Ive never felt any RW boots unfortunately, Ill try and rectify that later on today. As for styling, the RW and Alden I posted are similar to the point of me thinking that one probably copied the other.
    Trust me, they are complete opposite, well not complete opposite but there is a big difference between the two. The Alden is a bit more refined while RW is more of a workwear, rough on the edges and just isn't the same. RW also has a much more bulbous toe and while the Indy is more low profile and slick. I guess it would depend on your style but if you hold the Aldens and RW in your hands at the same time, you will see a big difference and you might just pay the extra $100 and get the Alden over the RW.

3. slappy

slappy Senior member

Alright thanks for the advice. I plan on checking the RW's out today. Unfortunately I live in San Diego and as far as Im aware there are no stores that carry Aldens, though Ill investigate that today also. Does the JCrew store carry these?

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

No, the only J Crew store that carries the Indys are the one in NY.

5. bananananana

bananananana Senior member

@bananananana
    Alden can do whatever Alden wants, who said otherwise?

Because you're asking if the price premium is worth it for a "minimally" better styling. The answer is just whatever your preference is. But you're asking on an Alden thread, with Alden buyers who've already answered that question with their actions. And from a wider pov, it's clear a lot of people think it's worth it due to the increasing demand despite rising costs.

Also, I'm pretty sure both RW and Alden both get their leathers from Horween. I've seen examples of both Alden and RW and just the leather quality is about the same imo. They're very different boots though. RW's are much more substantial and heavier, longer break-in periods like the prev poster said, and less options for sizing. I don't like the overly bulbous toes on RWs which are an absolute deal killer. I don't see how you can look at the toes on both RWs and Aldens and just consider as "minimal". Construction seems better on the Alden, more attention to details, and overall just a better looking last/shape to the shoe.

Those AE boots you posted earlier are again very ugly. Looks like Rockport or Ecco boots with the two tone leather. However, AE is going to have some better looking boots coming out. Search AAAC for some better pics of them. Not sure when they come out but as dress boots, they looked pretty appealing to me.

6. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Ok back on topic. I actually created this compilation on the various Indys that are out there on my PC. I have to thank zippyh and amlai for this obsession. [​IMG] Figure i'd post it here so everybody can check it out. Alden: 403, 405, 404 [​IMG] Alden of Carmel: AF76 Black Shell Indy [​IMG] Epaulet: Officer Indy [​IMG] Black and Tan Indy [​IMG] J.Crew J.Crew Indy [​IMG] J. Gilbert: #8 Cordovan Indy [​IMG] LeatherSoul: Tan Suede Indy [​IMG] Snuff Suede Indy [​IMG] Ultimate Indy Brown Chromexcel [​IMG] Ultimate Indy Black [​IMG] Ultimate Indy Kudu [​IMG] #8 Cordovan Indy [​IMG] Black Cordovan Indy [​IMG] Cigar Cordovan Indy [​IMG] Whiskey Cordovan Indy [​IMG] Repro Indy [​IMG] Vintage Indy [​IMG] Leffot J.C. Indy [​IMG] The ShoeMart 40514H [​IMG] 40517H [​IMG] 40513HC [​IMG] 40568C [​IMG] I probably missed a few here and there. There are also new makeups coming out but I didn't include them in the list. I find it quite interesting that demand for the Indy boot would create this much variation. [​IMG]

7. jet

jet Senior member

^thanks for the pics dex clears up much confusion

The only problems we hear about are on indys what does this have to do with the rest of the shoes they make? Stop crapping up my thread.

8. PETEROCK1

PETEROCK1 Active Member

Ok back on topic. I actually created this compilation on the various Indys that are out there on my PC. I have to thank zippyh and amlai for this obsession. [​IMG] Snuff Suede Indy [​IMG]
    i might have to bite the bullet and pre-order these [​IMG] also....... is there any place i can find these? Cigar Cordovan Indy [​IMG] i might need these to go with my wedding suit [​IMG]

9. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

WOOW! The new Leather Soul Exclusive Alden boot, Grant Captoe Flex Boot looks amazing! [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wow is right! I haven't seen this shade of brown calfskin before.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

The problem is a bit blown out of proportion though. How many problematic Aldens are out there compared to good ones? How many satisfied customer are there compared to unsatisfied ones? Most of the time, people just remember what a brand does wrong and that is what sticks into their minds while the positives are forgotten, at least to those that reads and have not experienced it first hand. I've seen this happen to many companies, not just shoes but clothes, watch, cars, etc...

No one company is perfect but from what I've read, Alden seems to fix the problem without much of a hassle. Some may get fixed right away while the other doesn't, but overall I believe they do try and sort out the problem.

Even with the problems Alden have been having, I still not see a reason to warrant bringing another brand to the Official Alden thread just because they are "better." I am pretty sure there have been plenty of complaints about AE too, I'm just not familiar with it because I never looked.

But hey, thats just me.

unless this is the "sing praises of Alden thread while ignoring anything potentially bad" then of course there is merit to bringing it up. the thread should be about Alden - what they are great at, what they are poor at, why you love them, why you don't, anything you feel like discussing them at all.

11. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Thanks Dexter for compiling that batch of Indy pics. There has definitely been some confusion lately about the different chromexcel versions and such.

Don't listen to people who rarely have anything interesting or informative to contribute to "their" thread!

12. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

i might have to bite the bullet and pre-order these [​IMG]

also....... is there any place i can find these?

Cigar Cordovan Indy
    [​IMG]

i might need these to go with my wedding suit

[​IMG]

Congrats Peterock!

Is that an Al's suit you're rocking?

13. PETEROCK1

PETEROCK1 Active Member

Congrats Peterock!

Is that an Al's suit you're rocking?

thanks jason, and yes it is!

if there's anything else anyone can recommend on a boot that would go with suit, please do. i also like this......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

unless this is the "sing praises of Alden thread while ignoring anything potentially bad" then of course there is merit to bringing it up. the thread should be about Alden - what they are great at, what they are poor at, why you love them, why you don't, anything you feel like discussing them at all.

That is fine and all, I got no problem with anyone saying why they do not like Alden but no need to bring AE into the conversation. This probably just puts more fuel to the fire so I'll leave it at that.

15. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

thanks jason, and yes it is!

if there's anything else anyone can recommend on a boot that would go with suit, please do.

The shoes you posted are nice. But if you're opting to wear a boot (esp one with brogues) with a m2m suit for your wedding, i would choose one with closed lacing. It will look much, much better.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an Al's suit?

16. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Shoes are pretty much no brainer for suits. Boots on the other hand are quite tricky. Look for one with blind eyelets and a thinner single leather sole for a dressy look. Plaza or one of the sleeker lasts would probably work best.

17. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

More narrow than the Barrie.

I thought that the Grant last fit similar to the Aberdeen, no?

Those captoes are beauts....

18. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I thought that the Grant last fit similar to the Aberdeen, no?

Those captoes are beauts....

Aberdeen is the most elongated of the Alden lasts. The Grant last is actually full, IMO, however not when you compare it to the Barrie. Yes, it is narrow than the Barrie but my no means is it narrow. I have the BBBF Longwing on the Grant Last and really like it.

19. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

I find the Grant last to be the ideal last - full, fairly broad toe box, but not Barrie blobish. I love my BBBF Longwings.

20. rick

rick Senior member

Damn, that means I'm out. I already wear an 8E/EE in the Barrie/Trubalance last. Sucks because I have been looking/waiting for a regular calfskin captoe boots for about 1-2 years now (I was actually looking for one with rubber/dainite sole but I would have made this work) and I thought this might be it.

The search continues...

i saw a few pages back that winn perry has some captoe boots that you ccan pre-order due in september in calf and scotchgrain. give them a call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.