• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sure tell signs of being dressed by the internet?

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Tonight I saw a guy that could have walked right out of SF and onto the streets. White Hane's v-neck T, raw jeans (couldn't tell exactly, think they were Nudies), plain zip hoodie, and Red Wings. This look is so out of place here (currently Lincoln, NE) it caught my eye immediately.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares? It's not like anyone around you is dressed the same way so why does it matter if someone halfway across the continent wore a similar outfit?

Besides, the only ones guilty of "being dressed by the internet" are the bad ones, the people who just come in and buy everything they're told and suddenly go "why aren't I stylish yet???" all the while looking uncomfortable in their clothes.

On a sidenote: Saw real well dressed dude on campus a couple days ago. Slim clean raw jeans, BoOxSperry chukkas, and some kind of fitted wool overshirt (maybe W+H? dunno'). At first I thought he might be from SF but then I decided he wasn't since he wasn't standing around asking everyone to critique his fit.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
guy in chambray, green olive m65parka thing (fljiavaran?) raw jeans and boots that kinda looked redwingy/aldeny. Right up SF's alley but honestly, anyone who reads fashion blogs or maybe lived in NYC for a summer could pick up on that look

If someone is dressed kinda cool and asian i wanna guess a website i just assume sufu because 90% of the supermarket items i receive or ship to end up being to/from an asian guy (lot of lurkers and barely posters). Saw an older white dude in cambridge who looked kinda dapper'd out awhile back with a quick release belt buckle and i assumed that was Drinkwater's work

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
If someone is dressed kinda cool and asian i wanna guess a website i just assume sufu because 90% of the supermarket items i receive or ship to end up being to/from an asian guy (lot of lurkers and barely posters). Saw an older white dude in cambridge who looked kinda dapper'd out awhile back with a quick release belt buckle and i assumed that was Drinkwater's work
hah, I've noticed the same thing. Almost everyone that has bought stuff from me on B&S has been asian. Also, I pretty much never see anyone that looks "dressed by the internet"... though I wish I did, because even with the lack of swagger they'd still look a hell of a lot better than most of what I see day-to-day. The main indicator of not being SF-SUFU- I rarely see anyone wearing raw denim, thrifted AEs- sure, decent knits- sure, but naw raw jeans. One guy at my school wears nudies, but past that I never see anyone wearing raw denim. I think people see a lot of "dressed by the internet"... because they never leave the internet.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I aspire to a lack of style look and I think I pull it off damn well.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You guys champion way too much J. Crew, RL, and Paul Smith to ever be identified IRL.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
What do you mean by "no style whatsoever"
Nothing goes together or fits them or who they are.

Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
what if their style is a aspiration to the lack of style image
Then they might as well spend less $ on clothes.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
When they are wearing higher end brands with absolutely no style whatsoever.

You leave Davine out of this.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
You guys champion way too much J. Crew, RL, and Paul Smith to ever be identified IRL.

please don't dump PS into the same bucket as the Crew!

Kill_switch

Reaction score
I've seen a couple kids at my school wearing raws, brands being Imperial and RRL. Outside of that the only person is one of my good friends who frequents Zeitgeist and has a few avant-garde pieces in addition to APC-FH-PBJ. I'm a senior in high school for reference.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I saw a dude wearing a TOJ winter varsity DT toronto. My guess is from sufu even though he clearly lacked the azness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads