• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sure tell signs of being dressed by the internet?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
cool.gif

Oh, please. You think he was citing you when he said that?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
AGHHHGHHGHGHGHHGHGHHGH

Actually, I think the thing that bothers me most about that picture, even more than his clothes, is those curtains behind him...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Tonight I saw a guy that could have walked right out of SF and onto the streets. White Hane's v-neck T, raw jeans (couldn't tell exactly, think they were Nudies), plain zip hoodie, and Red Wings. This look is so out of place here (currently Lincoln, NE) it caught my eye immediately.

A huge local University shouldn't = fashion being out of place.

Lincoln(as well as the midwest) is more fashionable than a lot of people give it credit for.

Second, where were you in Lincoln and When? A ton of artists record in Lincoln; I've ran into the Faint at Xia-Xia's, and Jenny Lewis at Family Thrift. If you go to enough shows you'll recognize who the folks from Saddle Creek are pretty soon as they are at just about every show. If you go downtown for 'first fridays' you'll see a ton of stylish people at the Tugboat gallery or near The Black Market.

Lincoln isn't a style mecca by any means, but it isn't a fashion waste land either.

also, you know you're dressed by the fora... or addicted to the fora, when you 'quit' and come.back 2 weeks later because the rest of the internet is boring/

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

Lincoln(as well as the midwest) is more fashionable than a lot of people give it credit for.

Second, where were you in Lincoln and When? A ton of artists record in Lincoln; I've ran into the Faint at Xia-Xia's, and Jenny Lewis at Family Thrift. If you go to enough shows you'll recognize who the folks from Saddle Creek are pretty soon as they are at just about every show. If you go downtown for 'first fridays' you'll see a ton of stylish people at the Tugboat gallery or near The Black Market.

Lincoln isn't a style mecca by any means, but it isn't a fashion waste land either.

also, you know you're dressed by the fora... or addicted to the fora, when you 'quit' and come.back 2 weeks later because the rest of the internet is boring/

I go to one of the private colleges in town, not the U so I can't speak for the fashion on campus just everyone else I see around town. You are right about fashionable people coming out on the weekends and on "first Fridays", though it seems most of them go with the hipster aesthetic which, quite frankly I find hideous. Not a wasteland, but Lincoln definitely is full of the hipsters and the AE/AF crowd.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(sets watch)

Welcome back, Robbie.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
There's only a handful of posters that are actually doing their own thing on this forum which is really sad because you've got so many people with disposable incomes to spend on clothes yet only a few that want to do something cool about it.
It's depressing when people stop exploring and just stick with stuff they have (same brands/designers and aesthetic). I'd like to be able to have a wardrobe with some prep clothes, some goth ninja drape and slim, some leather, and some random eccentric runway **** and be able to just mix and match styles.... an expensive dream lol

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Decided to come back eh? They always do...

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kitakira, I don't necessarily agree with your premise. The most stylish men in history had a uniform that they stuck to and developed a unique style as an outgrowth of that.

insideman

Reaction score
i don't see why this is so perjorative unless you lose your sense of self in the process. If someone watches Mad Men and decides they want to start rocking pocket squares, so be it--inspiration draws from different sources. If you see a style you like on the forum and want to replicate it to a degree, have at it. It's not like style is an organic thing; it comes from friends, popular culture, and media. Heck, I'm sure even cavemen looked at what people were wearing in the original WAYWT, heiroglyphics, to determine if they wanted to wear there animal skins in a certain way. The internet is no different--just another medium to foster ideas, thats all.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
It's depressing when people stop exploring and just stick with stuff they have (same brands/designers and aesthetic). I'd like to be able to have a wardrobe with some prep clothes, some goth ninja drape and slim, some leather, and some random eccentric runway **** and be able to just mix and match styles.... an expensive dream lol
I agree with you completely. One day, when I'm a baller, I'd love to be wearing full on McQueen or Rick one day, then a cardigan, some slim pants, and PS brogues the next. Would love to be able to always dress for whatever mood I was in or for what situation I was in. I see what you're saying as well London, and while you might be able to be more stylish overall that way, being all over the place is probably way more fun.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But if you take elements from the most stylish men in history and blend them properly, you can achieve greatness

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads