• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuff Links Basics

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmac
Amen!!! Where is that picture of Ewan McGregor from?
Stay
, also starring Ryan Gosling and Naomi Watts with Bob Hoskins. Thom Browne designed his wardrobe for the movie.

charlief1975

Reaction score
I'm not an expert or anything, but I would say just have fun. Get cufflinks you like and put a smile on your face.

royal618

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
On a related note: I'm interested in learning more about the history of the cufflink. Anyone knowledgeable on the subject, or know of a good source for more information?

I've got a wonderful book at home that has a detailed section on the history. I'll get the name and author and post it up tomorrow.

alexei

Reaction score
This is probably the best thread in which to ask this question... What color cufflinks (if any) should be worn with a jacket having gold (or silver, or antique gold) buttons? The cufflinks surely should not be of a different material thus competing with the jacket buttons, but I think gold buttons & gold cufflinks, for example, is a bit much.

I have worn a dark green jacket that had gold buttons with a light blue/black/white striped casual french cuff shirt that had matching silk knot cufflinks and I thought it looked good. But otherwise, how should it be done with metal links?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
On a related note: I'm interested in learning more about the history of the cufflink. Anyone knowledgeable on the subject, or know of a good source for more information?

CUFFLINKS by Jonas and Nissenson is pretty good.

THere's another one around here .I'll see if I can find it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
This is probably the best thread in which to ask this question... What color cufflinks (if any) should be worn with a jacket having gold (or silver, or antique gold) buttons? The cufflinks surely should not be of a different material thus competing with the jacket buttons, but I think gold buttons & gold cufflinks, for example, is a bit much.

I think silk knots work well, but also mother of pearl links:

krementzmop0io.jpg

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei

I have worn a dark green jacket that had gold buttons with a light blue/black/white striped casual french cuff shirt that had matching silk knot cufflinks and I thought it looked good. But otherwise, how should it be done with metal links?

Okay, I know you should be able to wear cufflinks with just a jacket and all that, but perhaps the fact that this is a jacket, and there's so much already going on with it, makes this a prime candidate for barrel cuffs instead of doubles?

cuffthis

Reaction score
I don't really worry about matching my cufflinks with anything, other than to compliment my tie and pocket square. Most of the cufflinks I wear are antique enamel double-sided and snap type. As a result, you really don't see the underside metal of gold, silver or base metal. I usualy try and pick up a color in the enamel to my tie and/or pocket square.

As much as I LOVE cufflinks, I firmly believe they are not properly worn without a tie and suit. The only exception to this is with a blue blazer. IMHO, cufflinks are formal. Open collared shirts and sport coats are not.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marchese
I love to drool over the Longmire cufflinks.

strgrg.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marchese
I'm actually I'm not that into the stirrup ones though
wink.gif

That's their proprietary design, that sets them apart from the pack. Even they will say so. The remainder of their stock is common to any number of purveyors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads