1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cuff Links Basics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrpologuy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. chocoball

chocoball Senior member

I wear cufflinks practically everyday. I have about 4 or 5 dozen shirts in different colours and patterns from Jantzen, all my shirts are frenchcuffed, I wear with suits, with jeans, whatever....jacket, no jacket, sweater...what can I say, I love frenchcuffed shirts.

Here's a pair I "made" myself:

[​IMG]

I just took some plain silver cufflinks that I didn't have any particular affection with, paired them with a pair of small jade buddhas I got from a street vendor in China, and superglued them together. I've worn them about a dozen times in the last 6 months, and they're still going strong!

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I wear cufflinks practically everyday, all my shirts are frenchcuffed. I have about 4 or 5 dozen shirts in different colours and patterns from Jantzen, that I wear with suits, with jeans, whatever....and just mix and match with different cufflinks that are sterling silver, silver with enamel or semi-precious stones. Here's a pair I "made" myself: I just took a pair of plain silver cufflinks that I didn't like, paired them with a pair of small jade buddhas I got from a street vendor in China, and superglued them together. I've worn them about a dozen times in the last 6 months, and they're still going strong!
    That's pretty handy of you. Great way to create your own unique look.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

it is ok to wear cufflinks when you're wearing a suit and tie, imo.
    I am like cuff links with a sweater over the shirt, I think it looks very classy

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's their proprietary design, that sets them apart from the pack. Even they will say so. The remainder of their stock is common to any number of purveyors.
    I dont like the stirrup kind either, they look like earrings and also, they are less durable because that is a place that gets alot of rubbing.

Also, to take the playful side to another level, I have even worn different flashy cufflinks on each cuff. This only works when you are decked out, otherwise you look stupid.

Lastly, I cant do the silk knot thing. I dont know why.

5. izlat

izlat Senior member

+ 1 on the silver knots, the BBs are nice, as are Tiffany's. I also like Jensen's wishbone - but still haven't bought a pair of these.

I would not wear silver cufflinks with a tweed or many sports coats, including a navy blazer w/ gold buttons. For the latter - e.g. navy silk knots. However, I'd wear them with a shirt and a sweater, and also with jeans - as long as I have nice shoes on - yes, I know many here don't wear nice shoes w/ jeans [​IMG]

Cheers

6. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

I bought these as my first pair of cuff links and they're still my default cufflinks whenever I don't have a color match between cufflinks and something else I'm wearing. I follow Bradford's "golden rule" (or silver rule in my case) and match the metal in my cufflinks to the metal in my belt buckle (and watch), though I don't care to try and match the buckle on my monkstraps.

I bought these as my second pair of cuff links. First pair of cuff links were gold (received as a gift). I have a few pairs of the silk knot cuff links (all of which came with shirts that I purchased), but I don't wear them.

By far, the sterling silver knot cuff links are my most versatile. I wear the gold cuff links with gold ties (traditional navy suit or navy pinstripe, gold tie type look), and the silver with just about anything.

I've since added some new cuff links, though not too many, but plain sterling silver and plain gold have worked well as staples for me.

7. BAMF624

BAMF624 Member

The History of cufflinks goes back to the Middle Ages where its precursor, the "Ëścuff string', adorned the wrists of fashionable gentlemen of the day. One of the earliest references to what we now recognize as cufflinks was made in the London Gazette of 1684, which referred to a pair of cuff buttons set with diamonds; the same journal in 1686 also described a pair of gold enameled cuff buttons. More evidence of the existence of cufflinks in the 17th century was found in Suffolk, England, where a decorated gold single chain cufflink was discovered.

Despite its early appearance, the continual taste for adorning sleeve ends with elaborate wrist ruffles meant it was not until the mid-nineteenth century that the cufflink really came into its own as dandy-ish ruffles gave way to functionally minimal sleeves and in particular the arrival of the French Cuff (also called the Double Cuff), or as the French themselves called it poignet mousquetaire - the musketeer's cuff, paving the way for the emergence proper of cufflinks.

8. Ivan-MX

Ivan-MX New Member

Does anybody know where I could buy these kind of cuff links that fit over standard buttons?
    I had a pair but lost one, now I can't find anywhere to buy a new pair.[​IMG][/IMG]

9. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member