1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cuff Links Basics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrpologuy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Correction: It is okay to wear cufflinks whenever the fuck you want to.

I wear cufflinks to work every damned day.

2. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    On a related note: I'm interested in learning more about the history of the cufflink. Anyone knowledgeable on the subject, or know of a good source for more information?

CUFFLINKS by Jonas and Nissenson is pretty good.

THere's another one around here .I'll see if I can find it.

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

This is probably the best thread in which to ask this question... What color cufflinks (if any) should be worn with a jacket having gold (or silver, or antique gold) buttons? The cufflinks surely should not be of a different material thus competing with the jacket buttons, but I think gold buttons & gold cufflinks, for example, is a bit much.

I think silk knots work well, but also mother of pearl links:

[​IMG]

4. TCN

TCN Senior member

This is probably the best thread in which to ask this question... What color cufflinks (if any) should be worn with a jacket having gold (or silver, or antique gold) buttons? The cufflinks surely should not be of a different material thus competing with the jacket buttons, but I think gold buttons & gold cufflinks, for example, is a bit much.

I have worn a dark green jacket that had gold buttons with a light blue/black/white striped casual french cuff shirt that had matching silk knot cufflinks and I thought it looked good. But otherwise, how should it be done with metal links?

Okay, I know you should be able to wear cufflinks with just a jacket and all that, but perhaps the fact that this is a jacket, and there's so much already going on with it, makes this a prime candidate for barrel cuffs instead of doubles?

5. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I don't really worry about matching my cufflinks with anything, other than to compliment my tie and pocket square. Most of the cufflinks I wear are antique enamel double-sided and snap type. As a result, you really don't see the underside metal of gold, silver or base metal. I usualy try and pick up a color in the enamel to my tie and/or pocket square.

As much as I LOVE cufflinks, I firmly believe they are not properly worn without a tie and suit. The only exception to this is with a blue blazer. IMHO, cufflinks are formal. Open collared shirts and sport coats are not.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

As much as I LOVE cufflinks, I firmly believe they are not properly worn without a tie and suit. The only exception to this is with a blue blazer. IMHO, cufflinks are formal. Open collared shirts and sport coats are not.

Indeed.

7. Marchese

Marchese Member

I love to drool over the Longmire cufflinks. They are simple, elegant and damn smart [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I love to drool over the Longmire cufflinks.

[​IMG]

9. Marchese

Marchese Member

[​IMG] I love thier enamled ones particularity. I'm actually I'm not that into the stirrup ones though [​IMG]

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I'm actually I'm not that into the stirrup ones though [​IMG]

That's their proprietary design, that sets them apart from the pack. Even they will say so. The remainder of their stock is common to any number of purveyors.

11. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I like cufflinks because they let you express yourself a bit playfully. (Insert photo of hot and cold water cufflinks here!).

I tend to match the main color to the underlying color in my tie, though this may be my own perverse theory. Are there any other rules of thumb (or rules of wrist [​IMG] )?

12. Marchese

Marchese Member

That's their proprietary design, that sets them apart from the pack. Even they will say so. The remainder of their stock is common to any number of purveyors.

Haha I know! But actually thier quality is unmatched and thier specially made ones are fantastic (like the crests).

13. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I am not all that sartorially advanced [​IMG] but I stick almost entirely to silver cufflinks - all my watches and belt buckles are of silver and I think it goes together well. My favorite pair is my family's coat of arms in sterling silver.

14. Marchese

Marchese Member

But how can you have a coat of arms...you're American no? I'm quite intested in heraldry.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

But how can you have a coat of arms...you're American no?

Many Americans are of European ancestry. [​IMG]

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

But he's in St.Petersburg. Florida, that is.

17. Marchese

Marchese Member

Many Americans are of European ancestry. [​IMG]
    Yes but many are under the false belief that because thier name corresponds to another (e.g. Jones) they are armidious(spelling?). I'm not saying it's false or anything...just rare.

18. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Wow, I said coat of arms for simplicity's sake, didn't know it would be dissected. It is, technically, the Clan Mac----- (my last name) crest. Sorry if I offended any Euros or heraldry afficianados.

Reminds me of the definition of a kilt from Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary - a garment now worn only by the Scottish in America and Americans in Scotland.

19. treegarden

treegarden Well-Known Member

I don't really worry about matching my cufflinks with anything, other than to compliment my tie and pocket square. Most of the cufflinks I wear are antique enamel double-sided and snap type. As a result, you really don't see the underside metal of gold, silver or base metal. I usualy try and pick up a color in the enamel to my tie and/or pocket square.

I think they're OK with a suit but no tie.

This gives an opportunity to vent. I work for an investment bank (as of today, I should say; layoffs are coming). Dress is business casual. A very high proportion of young men wear shirts with turnback cuffs and cuff links--but no suit! Not even a jacket! And they apparently have never heard of collar stays, so their collars curl up, adding to their sorry looks!

As for me, I was wearing suits and cuff-linked shirts every day, but no tie...I've now added a tie every day and am much happier.

20. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

I sometimes wear silk knot cufflinks without a jacket. I know that this is wrong, but I like the shirts and so try to tell myself that it's not that bad. Thinking about it, though, I'm beginning to suspect that it really is that bad and that I should never do it again. Could it maybe be sometimes somewhat acceptable to wear cufflinks without a jacket? Nobody wears jackets in my office, and I don't have any sport coats that I like well enough to try to buck that trend, so let's assume that I will not start wearing jackets just so I can wear cufflinks. (I would like to wear a jacket, but I only own suit jackets, and I'm too deeply in debt to buy a sports coat / blazer right now)