• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
the sleevehead, what's it called,the fabric roll?? jeez, can't believe I forgot. Just wondering if that will go away and the shoulders more natural. I guess what I am asking is are the shoulders spalla camicia or are they "regular"

Do you just mean roping?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Do you just mean roping?

Leave it to you Jews to know everything
ffffuuuu.gif

Yes, thanks, not sure why I got that mental block
ffffuuuu.gif
to my brain.

Bill, I know the shirt sleeves are more "casual" but I have sipped from the Kool Aid and think they work better for me on suits and odd jackets. I also like them better on you than the roping on this suit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I'm warming up to the lower roll. I've got two gray DBs, this is the super 110s from harrisons - also have a flannel from smiths.

I think it looks really good. Rubinacci does seem to do a pointier peak lapel, but I bet its the angle of the photo that is throwing people off. Did they cut this jacket looser or the same as your others? It looks a touch slouchier, which I like.

The lower roll works well, but I'm curious if they made it with the option to button it at the middle? Mine is supposed to be buttonable at both middle and bottom points, but looks better at the middle. You can tell by the way they finished the edge seam.

Bill, I know the shirt sleeves are more "casual" but I have sipped from the Kool Aid and think they work better for me on suits and odd jackets. I also like them better on you than the roping on this suit.

I get shirt sleeves on everything, including my dinner jacket. I don't have much concern for whether someone will think they look less formal.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
the sleevehead, what's it called,the fabric roll?? jeez, can't believe I forgot. Just wondering if that will go away and the shoulders more natural. I guess what I am asking is are the shoulders spalla camicia or are they "regular"

Originally Posted by zbromer
Do you just mean roping?

Jeebus...is the the land of the n00bs?

The odds that a Rubinacci has roping is about zero. Nay's suit jacket is probably a closed seam con rollino, with no wadding or padding as would be the case in a true roped shoulder.

Bill: looks great and Happy New Year.

- B

Moss

Reaction score
I like the lower buttoning point on you. The rollino look subtle and soft.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Jeebus...is the the land of the n00bs?

The odds that a Rubinacci has roping is about zero. Nay's suit jacket is probably a closed seam con rollino, with no wadding or padding as would be the case in a true roped shoulder.

Bill: looks great and Happy New Year.

- B

I revel in my ignorance and take it as a point of pride not to know every tailoring term in existance.

Actually, I need to post a pic from Leon magazine, there is a guy there with a suit that the tailor must have stuffed with canoli's in the sleevehead to get so much rollino.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I revel in my ignorance and take it as a point of pride not to know every tailoring term in existance.

Native ignorance might be prideful nonchalance, but knowing something and then forgetting is senility.

Actually, I need to post a pic from Leon magazine, there is a guy there with a suit that the tailor must have stuffed with canoli's in the sleevehead to get so much rollino.

Like so?

141108wc.jpg

Con rollino on the left, spalla camicia on the right, from Manton's AAAC piece.

Happy New Year, Eddie.

- B

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Native ignorance might be prideful nonchalance, but knowing something and then forgetting is senility.

Like so?

141108wc.jpg

Con rollino on the left, spalla camicia on the right, from Manton's AAAC piece.

Happy New Year, Eddie.

- B

Sartoria Sciamat seemes to push their especially fugly version of puff sleeves in menswear.

sciamat-3.jpg

sciamat-1.jpg

HHD

Reaction score
6a00e54ef9645388340115709d5401970b-800wi
Those Sciamat shoulders really are appalling. At least as dreadful as anything worn by Alexis Carrington... I suppose it doesn't help that the frères Sciamat look like such wet weeds.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just examined both jackets - Vox is correct - there is no padding at all. Ed, I like both and perhaps will try the shirt shoulder on my next business suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads